Support Behind The Voice Actors on Patreon

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 02-03-2017   #21
SNaG

Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
Takasugi is voiced by Alex Zahara. Who voiced Karnak from the Inhuman's motion comic.
Thanks! He wasn't credited in the Crunchyroll press release and I'm not very familiar with too many Ocean voices.
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #22
Ichigo341578926

Did anyone else think that female Kondo sounded like Tara Strong? I also think that female Gintoki might of been Cathy Weseluck. Plus, male Kagura was TOTALLY Scott McNeil! And does anyone know who voiced female Sogo? They sounded similar to Sarah Williams but I honestly doubt that was her since she doesn't work for Oceans.
Ichigo341578926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #23
Autovolt

Send a message via Skype™ to Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo341578926 View Post
Did anyone else think that female Kondo sounded like Tara Strong? I also think that female Gintoki might of been Cathy Weseluck. Plus, male Kagura was TOTALLY Scott McNeil! And does anyone know who voiced female Sogo? They sounded similar to Sarah Williams but I honestly doubt that was her since she doesn't work for Oceans.
BioZero216 believes it's Venus Terzo as Female Gintoki.

I'm not sure myself really. I think it's someone new altogether.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #24
Ichigo341578926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
BioZero216 believes it's Venus Terzo as Female Gintoki.

I'm not sure myself really. I think it's someone new altogether.
Yeah, I kinda get what you mean. But much like with Cathy Weseluck I'm not sure enough to say if that's correct.
Old 02-05-2017   #25
Ichigo341578926

I'm also 90% certain that Hinowa is being voiced by Anna Cummer. Largely because it sounds exactly like her Wilhelmina voice.
Old 02-05-2017   #26
huzaifa_ahmed

In reply to SNaG...In a "first-episodes first" scenario, - as you said - no one'd watch it because...no one who watching Gintama would go that far back, & dub fans are more niche, so itd fall on deaf ears. By releasing the first few eps, this gets much more attention than if they had just released the first 20 episodes. "Leaving people wanting more" rather than dumping a whole bunch at once, is also a factor.

Also, I think BioZero mentioned that Sentai still has the rights to the first couple seasons. That might be the main thing. I think we'll see the first couple seasons on there when Sentai lets go, & then if the streaming numbers are good/decent enough.

As for why this went to Ocean while most anime dubs today dont touch unions, even just SAG's minor dub rate...I think this show was just that big a deal for CR at this point - in a world where fewer folks need dubs because Internet subs, & CR being "the Internet that killed international anime TV"...this is essentially modern international anime TV's biggest show, & they feel the hype justifies paying for a dub high-quality enough to roll it out, to potential dub fans, in style. This is pretty much because CR is the harbinger of all anime, to us, & Gintama is Messiah. DBZ is lucrative but really the dub is big because it was bad, & it's dub stays non-union because FUNi & Toei collectively make for a cheap producer party. & I can only hope to dear God that CR doesnt become like that. Really I just wish FUNi would do something as nice as CR is, for My Hero Academia or Attack on Titan season 2.

As of now, my respect for CR>>>>>>>my respect for FUNi, dub-wise at least.

Last edited by huzaifa_ahmed; 02-05-2017 at 06:25 PM.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017   #27
Ichigo341578926

Well, I'm most certain that Ikeda Asaemon was voiced by Cathy Weseluck. But I couldn't tell who voiced the 18th Ikeda Yaemon. His voice sounded very familiar but I couldn't pick up on it. Anyone know who this was?
Old 02-10-2017   #28
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
In reply to SNaG...In a "first-episodes first" scenario, - as you said - no one'd watch it because...no one who watching Gintama would go that far back, & dub fans are more niche, so itd fall on deaf ears. By releasing the first few eps, this gets much more attention than if they had just released the first 20 episodes. "Leaving people wanting more" rather than dumping a whole bunch at once, is also a factor.

Also, I think BioZero mentioned that Sentai still has the rights to the first couple seasons. That might be the main thing. I think we'll see the first couple seasons on there when Sentai lets go, & then if the streaming numbers are good/decent enough.
Yeah, Sentai does have the rights still to the first 49 episodes. It's still on their page. I still think it would have been more worth it to start from the get-go and try to wait for Sentai's license to expire but I already laid out why I think so beforehand so no need to repeat myself here.

Sentai most likely won't willingly let go though. While previously a good deal of Crunchyroll titles would be picked up by Sentai and maybe given a dub, after Crunchyroll and Funimation teamed up, Sentai is left crying in the corner. The vast majority of the series they license from Crunchyroll now (the few not taken up by Funi or Aniplex) are available on another streaming network rather than a Crunchyroll exclusive.

Since Gintama is co-produced by Aniplex and Aniplex of America only started taking off a little after Sentai licensed Gintama, there's a slight chance the license may expire on Sentai's part and go back to Aniplex, who has a very amicable relationship with Crunchyroll. But who knows how long that'll take?

As for the dub itself, more episodes dropped so I'm watching some more. Some delivery is still a little stilted, but I have hope it'll get better in the long run since the right stuff is there. Matt Ellis as Zura especially; he's really flat when he's not going over the top, but he needs to be somewhat over the top/melodramatic at all times since Zura is just like that.

(Still not a fan of Andrew Francis as Sakamoto though. hoo boy.)
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017   #29
Ichigo341578926

Well, I've encountered my only problem with the dub so far. I feel Kamui's voice (whoever they might be) is too strong for the character.
Old 02-17-2017   #30
Ichigo341578926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo341578926 View Post
Well, I've encountered my only problem with the dub so far. I feel Kamui's voice (whoever they might be) is too strong for the character.
Actually, he kinda sounds like Brian Doe. Also can anyone tell who's voicing Zenzo? Michael Dobson keeps coming to mind, but I don't think that's him.