Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Casting Call

Casting Call Audition for voice acting projects created by members of BTVA. Project owners can manage the entire project from start all the way through to casting.

Old 01-22-2013   #1
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Default What is Casting Call?

Casting Call is a feature that accommodates two types of members.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/casting-call/

1. Those requiring voice actors for a project:

"BTVA's Casting Call provides a management system for your voice-over project and displays it in an organized format for your prospective auditioners. Members can submit auditions directly on your project page. From there you can select which members auditions to cast, flag as backups (for if your cast member can longer fill the role) or pass on (for auditions that don't suit your needs). Once your project is complete, you can share it with the rest of the community."

2. Those who are voice actors looking for roles to play:

"Practice and improve your voice acting skills by auditioning for a voice over project listed here on Casting Call. If a project owner decides to cast you for a role, you will be notified via email.
Other BTVA members can have the opportunity to listen to your auditions, comment and give you Shout Outs! You can also keep track of all your auditions on your BTVA profile page."

All of this is achieved via a web page interface with forms.

Feel free to discuss or share your thoughts.

Last edited by Foxwolf; 02-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2013   #2
TigerLou52

Smile Re: What is Casting Call?

Hi, I'm TigerLou52, a new kid on the block. I am an aspiring voice-over actor brand new to the industry. Many people tell me that I have an amazing voice and said that I should look into it. What program do I need to use on my computer to record my voice for auditioning?
Old 08-10-2013   #3
elvisbeck

Send a message via Yahoo to elvisbeck
Default Re: What is Casting Call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
Casting Call is a feature that accommodates two types of members.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/casting-call/

1. Those requiring voice actors for a project:

"BTVA's Casting Call provides a management system for your voice-over project and displays it in an organized format for your prospective auditioners. Members can submit auditions directly on your project page. From there you can select which members auditions to cast, flag as backups (for if your cast member can longer fill the role) or pass on (for auditions that don't suit your needs). Once your project is complete, you can share it with the rest of the community."

2. Those who are voice actors looking for roles to play:

"Practice and improve your voice acting skills by auditioning for a voice over project listed here on Casting Call. If a project owner decides to cast you for a role, you will be notified via email.
Other BTVA members can have the opportunity to listen to your auditions, comment and give you Shout Outs! You can also keep track of all your auditions on your BTVA profile page."

All of this is achieved via a web page interface with forms.

Feel free to discuss or share your thoughts.
Hi. I'm elvisbeck and I want to be a voice actor. My main goal is to be a pro sports commentator, but I'd would to be a voice of a character as a backup. Here's a sample of my work: https://soundcloud.com/dave-beck-1/facebook-sports-8-2
Old 10-02-2013   #4
tsech365

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLou52 View Post
Hi, I'm TigerLou52, a new kid on the block. I am an aspiring voice-over actor brand new to the industry. Many people tell me that I have an amazing voice and said that I should look into it. What program do I need to use on my computer to record my voice for auditioning?
Hi TigerLou52! I'm tsech365 and I'm new here too. I'm also an aspiring voice actor. I used Audacity which is a free download. I'm still learning my way around it, but so far it does a really wonderful job. I also use a Yeti microphone from the Blue company. It's an AMAZING microphone at an affordable price. I wish you the best of luck with your career.
Old 10-02-2013   #5
tsech365

Hi all! I'm a new member here. I've always been told that I have a great voice and I have always harbored the thought that maybe I could make a go of it as a voice actor. Well, here goes...

I just posted an audition for the Batman: Gotham's Legend Audio Comic. I submitted an audition as Batman/Bruce Wayne and I'll be submitting one for the Joker as well. Wish me luck and good luck to everyone who's auditioned.
Old 10-21-2013   #6
ManyMe

Hello - I am new to the voice-over world, for a long time I have had the desire to learn how to get into the voice-over career and BTVA has provided me with a lot of great information I am going to use. Thank you BTVA
Old 01-02-2014   #7
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsech365 View Post
Hi TigerLou52! I'm tsech365 and I'm new here too. I'm also an aspiring voice actor. I used Audacity which is a free download. I'm still learning my way around it, but so far it does a really wonderful job. I also use a Yeti microphone from the Blue company. It's an AMAZING microphone at an affordable price. I wish you the best of luck with your career.
Hey tsech365....
im practically still new to this place and I want to upload my audio and I've been using Audacity but every time I put the clip in. it brings up errors on the screen saying the .aup wasn't an mp3. is there a program that can reconfigure some programs to mp3 audio sounds. Write back soon. Thank u...
Old 07-10-2014   #8
baileymermaid95

I understand the turmoil of trying to produce the best quality sound with limited equipment. My recordings are not the absolute best they could be, but I got all of my stuff for free, so here are my tips for new members:

1. Use what you have! I had an old Rock Band microphone that could plug into the USB port of my computer. While it would be nice to have a $300 dynamic microphone, I have something that works!

2. Have a place to record! Make yourself a sound booth! I'm not going to lie, I use my closet as my "sound booth". It not only gives you a place to focus, but helps eliminate unnecessary background noise because you wouldn't bring your barking dog or your loud fan into your recording booth. Here is a link for other great ways to eliminate background noise before you even start recording: http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/tap0...with-audacity/

3. Get Audacity! Everyone has a software program they like; personally, I prefer to do all my editing from the free version of Wavepad. However, no free program can eliminate spectral noise quite like Audacity. Noise removal is all I use it for, but it is worth it! Just highlight a half-second (500 milisecond) section of purely background noise, select Noise Removal under Effects, click Get Noise Profile, then go back to Noise Removal and click Ok. You may have to do this more than once, but it it a veritable life saver.

4. Don't be afraid of the mic! The microphone will not hurt you, please get closer to it! Enough said!

5. Get a little crafty! I made my own mic stand and pop filer from a DIY YouTube video! It's a fairly inexpensive way to fabricate the things you need and don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money to obtain. This is the video I used, but find what works for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEu83NO-qo

6. Don't ever apologize! The moment you apologize for your microphone quality, you have lost you chance at that part! Be confident in yourself! Do what you can to make your recordings sound good, then roll with it. More often than not, the Owner of the project probably didn't notice the poor quality until you said something. If you don't like what you produce, how can you expect anyone else to!?

I hope that helped! I'm still fairly new to this myself, but what does that matter? I fumbled my way through beginning amateur voice acting, and figured out most of this on my own. I don't want poor mic quality of a lack of confidence to stand in the way of anyone else's art.

So there you have it!

As always,

Ali
Old 10-27-2014   #9
bunnyshots

Smile Re: What is Casting Call?

Thanks Ali that was really helpful and confidence is rising
Old 11-05-2014   #10
Zircon

Hello, just started on btva recently and liking what I see. I don't know if this has been answered already, but what is the typical file size limit for mp3s to post the audition piece?

Thanks,
Zircon