Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 12-16-2014   #11
Lapianoman

Default Re: Home Studio Discussion

Hey Alberto! For a mic, I'd suggest the Samson C01U, which has been selling on eBay for around $40. Then, for the low price of free, you can download the recording software Audacity. If you already have an acoustically treated place to record & a computer to plug the C01U into, this setup should serve you well enough...for now.
Lapianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #12
ZeldaZealot

Thank you, good sir! I appreciate the advice! I actually downloaded the Audacity software a couple of days ago, so that's done with, thankfully. One more thing, would it be wise to invest in a pop filter as well?
ZeldaZealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #13
Lapianoman

Short answer: Yes, invest in a pop filter.

Long answer: With correct mic placement & technique, a pop filter isn't strictly necessary. However, I still use one, since it's added insurance that you won't ruin a take with a random plosive. And if you'll be working the mic closely (say, for whispered dialogue) or recording a bunch of shouted lines, your risk of plosives increases. IMHO, it's worth the extra investment.
Old 12-16-2014   #14
ZeldaZealot

Great! Thanks again for the advice(:
Old 12-26-2014   #15
ZeldaZealot

I have another question. When I ordered the Samson C01U Mic, it came with the Sonar recording software. Which would be better for me to use? Sonar or Audacity?
Old 01-03-2015   #16
Lapianoman

You'll probably find more tutorials & other help with Audacity, but it won't hurt to try both & see which you like better. I've never used Sonar, so I can't offer any opinions on it.
Old 01-03-2015   #17
ZeldaZealot

Interesting. From your experience what is the difference between acoustically treating your room/recording studio and simply having a microphone isolation set up? That's what I'm looking to buy next.
Old 01-05-2015   #18
Lapianoman

The difference is apples and oranges. Isolation, or sound proofing, is what is used to keep unwanted external sounds out of your recordings. (No one wants the neighbor's lawn mower showing up on their audition, right?) Acoustical treatment is what you do inside your recording space to remove things like reverberation & resonance.

What is it you are looking to buy? Or more importantly, what problem are you trying to correct?
Old 01-05-2015   #19
ZeldaZealot

ah, I see the difference now. Thank you for clearing that up. Well, sound proofing wouldn't be an issue where my equipment is set up. I believe that acoustically treating my room is what I am looking to do. I saw this product on amazon which included a shock mount and 5 microphone isolation panels, and that seemed to be perfect for me.
Old 01-06-2015   #20
Lapianoman

I think I found the product you're describing. Alone, it probably won't fix all your acoustic issues, but if used with some additional treatment, you'll probably get decent recordings. Have a look at this article from Juan Carlos Bagnell, aka SomeAudioGuy.

Home Studio On A Budget

In particular, there's a picture at the bottom with a similar, mic mounted reflection filter, along with moving blankets hung on the wall behind. He goes into more detail in an older article here.

Take some time to read what Juan has to say in both articles...he's one smart dude.