Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 10-02-2018   #1
martyyahar

Default What’s the deal with William Winckler?

Recently, due to a posting of his Kenshiro performance, William “HOLLYWOOD” Winckler has been getting a lot of vitriol and jokes lobbed at him. I’m not going to pretend he doesn’t deserve any of it (groping is NEVER okay), but i feel out of the loop regarding a man clearly infamous in the community. Especially since his one (bad) role listed is the tip of the iceberg, upon doing an uncomfortable amount of research of the guy.

Last edited by martyyahar; 10-02-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Editing language for broadcast
martyyahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018   #2
Metabad

Default Re: What’s the deal with William Winckler?

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...tar-treatment/

This should help put things into perspective.
Old 10-02-2018   #3
martyyahar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...tar-treatment/

This should help put things into perspective.
Read that, and he seems like a mess. To his credit, his brand of localization isn't far off from many people's thoughts, as insulting and unfaithful as it is. EDIT: Don't get me wrong, i hate his rendition of Kenshiro and the dub he committed for Fist of the North Star, i'm just used to this nonsense.

I honestly want to see an interview with somebody who's worked with him, just so i can get the full story on his approach to media and his actual personality.

Last edited by martyyahar; 10-02-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2018   #4
IMB
Junior Contributor

I'm as out of the loop as you are. Groping incident? Recent hate for his Kenshiro? Where'd that come from?
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018   #5
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
I'm as out of the loop as you are. Groping incident? Recent hate for his Kenshiro? Where'd that come from?
Best guy to ask about that would be Nightmare Crusher since he knows the most info on this guy. As for his voice for Kenshiro it's so dreadful, it's actually kind of funny. So in the voice compare itself as well as his page, everyone is just having some fun by quoting all the bad lines of dialogue that he has in his voice clip.

The same thing kinda happened when the ABGroupe dub of Dragonball was added to the site, though we learned as we discovered more roles & a testimony by one of the actors of said dub, everyone grew an appreciation & respect for them. Though I don't believe the same can be said for William Winckler.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018   #6
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
Best guy to ask about that would be Nightmare Crusher since he knows the most info on this guy.
Not really. I don't exactly know anything you can't figure out from A. Listening to his Kenshiro and B. Reading the interview linked in this thread.
Old 10-03-2018   #7
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

I don't think there's really anything too deep other than there's something morbidly fascinating about his dubs and interviews with him are basically a goldmine. I think he even self-described himself as the Roger Corman of dubbing. His dubs are semi-obscure but they've been around for a while - and MAN there are a lot of them - but Lost Paradise coming out I guess has put people on an HNK kick so he's in the spotlight.

The HOLLYWOOD spotlight.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018   #8
martyyahar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
HNK

Stands for "Hollywood no Kenshiro".

Anyway, i'm going to see his other work before completely dismissing him as a hack (considering he has a decent resume acting-wise, if nothing else). Then again, he might just be a guy who got really lucky and isn't anything special when not calling the shots. I'm still wondering if he's as annoying in person as he was in the interview, tho.

EDIT: You know what, i just remembered the fact he admitted committing sexual assault, and his anglicizing dubbing approach. I'd rather not defend him.

Last edited by martyyahar; 10-08-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2018   #9
Shaun Ince

Did someone unironically vote for William Winckler in the Kenshiro VC? I just noticed that someone voted for him.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote