Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > BTVA Site Features > Top Ten Lists

Top Ten Lists Discuss the Top Ten Lists from the site or post your own.

Old 02-22-2018   #1
Soul-dragon
Banned

Default Top Ten Nintendo Dubs

With Nintendo Month coming up I thought I'd list my favorite dubs we've ever seen from Nintendo. Here's the list:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentina
3. Kid Ircaus Uprising
4. Pokemon (4Kids)
5. Kirby Right Back At Ya
6. Fire Emblem Fates
7. Fire Emblem Awakening
8. Xenoblade Chronicles X
9. Legends of Zelda: Breath of Wild
10. Pokemon Generations
Does anyone agree or disagree with my ratings?
Soul-dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018   #2
RetroPokeFan

Default Re: Top Ten Nintendo Dubs

I'd probably place Awakening one step up than Fates and switch Generations with Origins but otherwise that'd be my list.
RetroPokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018   #3
ConfusedPhantom

The dubs that I happened to like were Xenoblade 1, Kid Icarus and some of what I heard of in Echoes (which sounded alright, with some stand outs like Ian Sinclair's performance). Haven't really played fates or Awakening. Pokemon 4kids was fine for what it is. Kirby, I never seen the original, so...I dunno? It felt like one of those 'let's turn this into a completely different show" type dealies.

I don't really like Breath of the Wild's voice acting. But, that's just me.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018   #4
NCZ
Ask me about unions

I think Nintendo have been slipping on their dub track record lately. All of their pre-Switch/3DS-Wii-U-era dubs were excellent (Kid Icarus Uprising, Awakening/Fates, Xenoblade 1 and X, Star Fox Zero), but since the Switch launch I think Fire Emblem Echoes and Xenoblade 2 have been the only truly great ones. The rest have ranged from passable (Detective Pikachu) to mediocre and outright bad (Breath of the Wild, Sushi Striker). WarioWare Gold isn't out in NA yet so I can't speak for it but I'm pretty nervous for games like Three Houses. They're not exactly a small company and Zelda, Pokemon, Mario are really not small fries so it kinda frustrates me that their quality control on dubs has been so lax lately. Even Fire Emblem it's getting harder to justify staying non-union because it's a borderline flagship franchise for them by now.

They've been using Side US and Jamie Mortellaro more often lately and they really do seem to be the weak links. I wish they'd get Kris Zimmerman or unionize again if they want to stay in LA. Considering BOTW they added selectable voice tracks after launch I hope they're similarly taking feedback on the English VA since it's pretty much one of the only outright marks on the game.

I wouldn't credit Nintendo for 4Kids' dubs since all they did was give them the license. They weren't done inhouse.

Last edited by NCZ; 07-31-2018 at 05:59 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
RetroPokeFan

4 weeks too late but yeah, I do wish Nintendo would do more union dubs or even let people like Kris Zimmerman or Bob Buchholz do more stuff for them. Stuff like Fire Emblem Fates, Kid Icarus Uprising and Baten Kaitos Origins were an absolute treat and they're easily up there as some of the best dubs the company had to offer.
RetroPokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
NCZ
Ask me about unions

I'd gladly take KZS, but going from Mortellaro and Side LA to Bob Buchholz would be a real lateral shift. To his credit Buchholz has done some dubs I legitimately like here and there, but he's a little inconsistent in my book. He manages to get good casts on paper at least but the execution can vary. He's had good results when he has a co-director like Kirk Thornton.

Last edited by NCZ; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
ConfusedPhantom

Yeah, I echo NCZ's opinion on this. KZS has a better track record overall. She usually gets pretty balanced performances from voice actors.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote