Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 01-13-2019   #1
Torak

Default Voice actors in a certain media that should've switched roles?

Hello! Welcome to this fun topic where you can drop some thoughts in your spare time.

I have seen one or two comments floating around the website about this, and to my knowledge this topic hasn't really been explored on the forums before.

Have you ever heard two or more voice actors that appear in the same film, TV series, shorts or video game and thought something is missing from their performances? You're aware of what the actors are capable of and thought X actor could've done better as Y character? Or maybe you would've liked to see actors 'play against the type' for once? The English dub of Mobile Suit Gundam 00 did this very well in my opinion.

Well, maybe they should've switched roles?! Obviously this is subjective and will vary depending on your knowledge of voice actors in a piece of media you're familiar with. I'll go ahead a list a couple examples to give you a better idea of this topic:

Castlevania Judgement - Douglas Rye (Death) and Patrick Seitz (Dracula)

Not much to say about this one, Rye and Seitz have played each others' characters before in different Castlevania games and I think they work better as Dracula and Death respectively. Not only that Seitz is winning on the public poll for Death and a lot of comments think Rye is the best Dracula on the voice compare.

B-Daman Crossfire - Doug Erholtz (Oga Raido) and Bryce Papenbrook (Basura Kurochi)

Both actors gave good performances in their roles, but I think Doug would've worked better as the outcast, intimidating punk that was Basura. He's played similar roles before (Hamiro Musica) and I've actually read comments that Basura is Squall! So it would've been a shoe in.
I liked Bryce as Basura, it was refreshing to see him play an anti-hero at the time, but I think he was a bit too light and vulnerable at times. He has this energy that I think would've fit Raido very well.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019   #2
Marakutanay

Default Re: Voice actors in a certain media that should've switched roles?

Persona 5:

Since day 1 I firmly believe that switching Carrie Keranen(The Twins) and Sarah Williams(Chihaya) would have give much better results.
Marakutanay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #3
Frontier

Guardians of the Galaxy with Medusa (Catherine Taber) and Crystal (Vanessa Marshall).

Both would have been better fits playing the opposite sister of who they played, and Marshall ended up voicing Medusa in Avengers: Black Panther's Quest anyways.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019   #4
Autovolt

Well...this is a weird example but I really wish Travis Willingham switched his Motormaster and Onslaught voices around. Travis's Onslaught would sound more thuggish and hammy which would be fitting of an aggressive king of the road while Travis's Motormaster sounds deep, cunning and intelligent which fits a military strategist more. I know it works for the way the characters were depicted their respective series but if they were written more like their original bios/characterization it'd work better switching them.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019   #5
8000 Saiyans

Dee Bradley Baker should have voiced Human Torch and Scorpion instead of Daran Norris in the first Spidey PS1 game.
8000 Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019   #6
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Prior to Sonic Forces, I thought Keith Silverstein (Vector) would've been more fitting as Shadow than Kirk Thornton.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019   #7
Marusero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanTheVillain01 View Post
Prior to Sonic Forces, I thought Keith Silverstein (Vector) would've been more fitting as Shadow than Kirk Thornton.
Any previous roles that inspired that casting choice?

Last edited by Marusero; 1 Week Ago at 09:08 PM.
Marusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019   #8
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marusero View Post
Any previous roles that inspired that inspired that casting choice?
Shen (League of Legends), here Keith Silverstein has a similar tonal character to Kirk Thornton's Shadow, albeit less rugged.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #9
Marusero

Okay, while I don't necessarily dislike Cindy Robinson as Amy Rose, I personally think that Kate Higgins (Tails/Wave) and Michelle Ruff (Cream) would've been more suitable for the character. If you want an example for each of the latter two, you can listen to Kate's Sakura and Michelle's Kaori here.

While we're at it, I also feel that Michelle would've been slightly more fitting for Wave than Kate, if the former used something akin to Etna. Again, not that I have anything against Kate or anything, but I find her voice a little lighter than I'd prefer.

With that being said, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Marusero; 04-03-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Marusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019   #10
TheVengeanceKnight

I've always thought that Travis Willingham would've been a better Captain America than Thor, as well as a better Cap than, say, Roger Craig Smith.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote