Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
thomwim

Default Dubs that never aired in the country where they were produced

Okay, this is going to be a field day.

To the best of my knowledge, these TV shows did not air OTA or on cable in their production country during their run. They may, however, have received a late premiere streaming or on home media.

Doraemon (80's English dub). Cinar (a Montreal animation studio) produced this dub, but it apparently only aired in Barbados(!)

Dragon Ball Super (Bang Zoom). This dub was made in Los Angeles... for Asian broadcasts.

Fat Dog Mendoza (Vancouver). This is the only Sunbow cartoon that never aired in the USA. And I don't know if it ever aired in Canada, either. [Mendoza is streaming on Tubi.]

Pigs Next Door (Los Angeles). Fox Family (which co-produced and owns the rights outside of Europe) would have aired this cartoon stateside, but it never happened. John Goodman and Jamie Lee Curtis (who voiced the pig parents) are well-known actors, but their starpower wasn't enough for stateside TV. [Studio 100, which co-owns the toon, uploaded the show onto Tubi. So maybe the rights didn't include digital.]

Most English dubs made in Paris. English is not the official language of France.

Los Angeles and Miami have produced many dubs in Spanish (and sometimes Portuguese) for Latin America. Portuguese is not widely spoken in the USA, but Spanish is. For example, South Park is dubbed in Miami into both languages. The Spanish dub has been released on DVD (Season 3's boxset) and the first 21 seasons are on Hulu. Portuguese is out of the question due to low demand.

Conversely, many movies have received a US-exclusive Spanish dub produced in another country.

French: A couple cartoons were dubbed in Belgium for Quebec only. Like Clone High on Teletoon, and Nature Cat on Telemagino.
Note: While many Belgian dubs are only airing on TV stations in France, said channels are actually available in Belgium on cable, satellite, IPTV, or over-the-air.

Last edited by thomwim; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:31 AM.
thomwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
martyyahar

Default Re: Dubs that never aired in the country where they were produced

IIRC Miami dubs are basically successors to Animax Asia/ Odex dubs. Some of them are regionfree and online, but a few are not. It's also worth noting they've dubbed non-Japanese cartoons, and usually those dubs never see wide release in the States. Or maybe I haven't checked hard enough.

Streamline (Los Angeles) made some English dubs of Ghibli movies for Japanese airliners, if you really push it. Frontier's (Tokyo) dubs also sometimes made primary release stateside.

Kinda wanna see that Montreal dub of Doraemon, the UVA on Doraemon's page was honestly pretty good. My guess as to why it only aired in the Caribean was due to broadcast rights only being maintained/ obtained for that area. I really doubt it was only in Barbados alone, tho.

I also remember very old anime dubs being done in Rome, Italy. Some of the Manga UK dubs of anime were outsourced to American studios.

On the whole, I admit being a little green at this stuff, so correct me if need be.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Free Ocean Kai!
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
IMB

If you limit it to TV, then most Canadian and U.S. anime dubs would qualify, since the majority of them were released primarily on disc or streaming. For instance, Cardfight Vanguard is the longest-running Canadian anime dub, but not a single episode has aired on TV here. It's all officially on YouTube, though, so it might be best if discussion was focused on just any sort of distribution.

Little Battlers eXperience was a split Calgary/Vancouver show that aired on Nicktoons in the United States. It never aired on TV in Canada and years later, it has yet to receive any sort of home video release or official stream. Until Toei dumped it onto Crunchyroll, World Trigger seemed to have suffered the same fate, except on an even more obscure channel.

This could change with Disney+ around, but the U.S. still hasn't seen a release of Disk Wars Avengers or more than 5 episodes of the Stitch anime. That's despite Studiopolis dubbing everything for overseas TV broadcasts. Different country and company, but Powerpuff Girls Z also matches the description.

I regularly discover things I've never heard of that were recorded in Montreal and Vancouver. The former, I imagine has a huge stash of unseen in Canada productions. There were (to an extent, still are) a lot of Canada-France co-productions that don't get released here in English. Family, Teletoon and YTV aren't nearly as adventurous as they once were. I know there's an English dub of Anatane that was recorded in Montreal. Who knows where that'll wind up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
French: A couple cartoons were dubbed in Belgium for Quebec only. Like Clone High on Teletoon, and Nature Cat on Telemagino.
Note: While many Belgian dubs are only airing on TV stations in France, said channels are actually available in Belgium on cable, satellite, IPTV, or over-the-air.
I've got the reverse for you. The French dubs of Eyeshield 21 and Le Chevalier D'Eon were recorded in Montreal at Cinelume for Kaze. AFAIK, they have no Canadian release whatsoever, be it on TV, streaming or home video. Only released in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyyahar View Post
IIRC Miami dubs are basically successors to Animax Asia/ Odex dubs. Some of them are regionfree and online, but a few are not. It's also worth noting they've dubbed non-Japanese cartoons, and usually those dubs never see wide release in the States. Or maybe I haven't checked hard enough.
Are you referring to the Spanish dubs recorded in Miami? A lot of the English work runs on low profile channels like Primo TV and Kids Central in the U.S. The Futurikon stuff tends to wind up officially on YouTube.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyyahar View Post
I also remember very old anime dubs being done in Rome, Italy.
Really? Got any titles? Always been fascinated by Rome's English-language dubbing scene and wouldn't mind seeing more of those actors get profiles on here, but the fact that it was predominately live action with the odd domestic Italian animated product being all they ever did makes that tough. The notion of them recording an anime has always fascinated me; I'd have to imagine they di at least one, but I've never actually been able to find one.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
martyyahar

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent
Always been fascinated by Rome's English-language dubbing scene and wouldn't mind seeing more of those actors get profiles on here, but the fact that it was predominately live action with the odd domestic Italian animated product being all they ever did makes that tough.
Wait, that's what they did? ****. I remember hearing about an olden dubbing scene in Rome, so I assumed they meant olden edited anime? Guess I was wrong. Sorry to disappoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB
Are you referring to the Spanish dubs recorded in Miami? A lot of the English work runs on low profile channels like Primo TV and Kids Central in the U.S. The Futurikon stuff tends to wind up officially on YouTube.
I was referring to the English dubbed non-anime stuff, but I will admit i'm not too adamant about searching for them, as I'm trying to track other stuff atm.

To keep things on topic, I remember anecdotes about the final season of a Hungarian dub being done in Romania for Star Trek Voyager. Romania does have a fair population of Hungarian speakers, but I find it hard to believe the dub aired there. However, it was still re-dubbed with the main crew back in Hungary due to negative reception.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
AVHodgson

Among other shows, about half the dubs produced by Saban fit this criteria. (Though Bob in a Bottle and Jungle Tales were produced in Montreal and aired on Canadian TV.)

Harmony Gold had quite a few - The Magical World of Gigi, Adventures on Rainbow Pond, Sabrina's Journey... they may have done another dub of Little Memole/Wee Wendy as well...

There are, of course, a lot of these made by European companies. Some of these are now on YouTube - the Mondo TV dubs, for example, some of which were done in Canada and others in Italy.

There are probably many more lost anime dubs than we know about. Who knows about the Montreal dubs of Calimero and Anpanman, for example?
AVHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
thomwim

Unique situations:

Cyberchase: The Latin Spanish dub is made in Argentina, and only the Nelvana seasons aired on cable in Latin America. Once Nelvana gave the production rights to another studio, the dub continued in Argentina and is airing on PBS' SAP track.

The French dub of Arthur: Seasons 1-6 (Cinar) were dubbed in Montreal and aired in Canada/France. Seasons 7-15 (Cookie Jar) were dubbed in Paris and aired in France. Season 16 was dubbed in Belgium… but it only aired in Canada.

Dubbed, but never aired:

The French dub of Our Cartoon President is made in Paris, but it hasn't aired yet.

The Italian dubs of Donkey Kong Country (Italia 1), Clone High (FOX) and Nature Cat (Nick Jr.) I found info about a few cast members on Antonio Genna's website, but I never found any proof on those channels' past TV schedules.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
AVHodgson

One more I just learned about: the Bunker Jenkins dub of Moomin, of which one episode exists at the Paley Center.
AVHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote