Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 11-23-2013   #1
SupremeTarantulas

Default Pokemon Origins

Just finished this and don't have any complaints performance wise but it seems really rushed and I think the only reason it was made was so Japan and Nintendo could make some quick $$$$$$$ off it. This had to be to potential to be more mature spin-off of the franchise that older fans could enjoy but they rushed it all in 4 episodes. Skipping most of the Gym Leaders except Brock and Giovanni and making Charizard practically invincible was pretty annoying. Also just going on a quest to get info for the Pokedex rather than becoming a trainer like Ash did. I blame Japan for this more though. Could have made this longer because then people would have something to enjoy if their tired of the main anime. Kids probably don't even know about this I bet. Going to go back to the main anime once XY comes out in English as I like it so far since it is an improvement over Black & White.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #2
Jackson_H
Banned

Default Re: Pokemon Origins

You should never forget the the anime franchise is basically a long expensive commercial to promote the video games which is where the real money is made.

As for this TV Special I enjoyed it for what it was.

I actually wouldn't mind if someday the same treatment was given for the other generations.

Sure they'd be predictable but it seems a lot of fans enjoyed Origins and for me it's somewhat satisfying to see the protagonist accomplish something...

Ash Ketchum is never going to age. Will probably never win a Pokemon league. And will never complete his Pokedex.

Generation II would be a nice follow-up and we could see a match between Ethan (Gold) and an older Red at Mt. Silver

P.S. I'm glad Charizard finally got a chance to be awesome

Blaziken was usually the most spoiled of the Starter Pokemon by Nintendo staff

Last edited by Jackson_H; 11-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #3
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_H View Post
You should never forget the the anime franchise is basically a long expensive commercial to promote the video games which is where the real money is made.

As for this TV Special I enjoyed it for what it was.

I actually wouldn't mind if someday the same treatment was given for the other generations.

Sure they'd be predictable but it seems a lot of fans enjoyed Origins and for me it's somewhat satisfying to see the protagonist accomplish something...

Ash Ketchum is never going to age. Will probably never win a Pokemon league. And will never complete his Pokedex.

Generation II would be a nice follow-up and we could see a match between Ethan (Gold) and an older Red at Mt. Silver

P.S. I'm glad Charizard finally got a chance to be awesome

Blaziken was usually the most spoiled of the Starter Pokemon by Nintendo staff
I like his Mega Evolution but I find it funny that he was winning everything for Red even taking out Blastoise pretty easily with some fire which should be hard since he's a water type. He is my favorite Pokemon so it's cool but aq bit annoying. This being 4 episodes the plot could be a bit rushed though. Still wish it was longer though. Be more exciting if they spent more time on it. Voice cast was great. If it had been done by TCPI it would have been average at best. Oh and Ash was like 13 or 14 till he was retconned back to 10 in Black and White. Look it up on Youtube. XY seems pretty good. Can't wait for it to start airing more.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 11-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2013   #4
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Having not watched the anime since the Johto league, I really enjoyed this and like Jackson, hope they do one for each generation, though maybe spread it out over 10 episodes or so (one ep per gym and a few for the League)

I thought it was cool how it followed the game basically to a tee and the tone was a nice change to the Ash version.

If the current anime was made like Origins, I'm sure I'd still be watching it. The battles seemed to have more thought and detail to them, and at times the intensity and choreography was raised to almost DBZ levels.

Also an interesting change to not have most of the Pokemon "talk" by calling their own names.

Last edited by Foxwolf; 12-29-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #5
electronic456

It was a relatively fun and faithful adaptation of the original games. The story was more tolerable for me than it is with the normal anime now. I do like the fact Red is actually interested in catching all Pokemon, not just being Pokemon Champion.

However I think I like Ash Ketchum more as a protagonist because he gets to travel to a lot more areas, while Red's journey just ends in Kanto.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #6
Akuma-Dragon

Snorlax gets taken down by 1 hit WTF!
Akuma-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013   #7
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
Having not watched the anime since the Johto league, I really enjoyed this and like Jackson, hope they do one for each generation, though maybe spread it out over 10 episodes or so (one ep per gym and a few for the League)

I thought it was cool how it followed the game basically to a tee and the tone was a nice change to the Ash version.

If the current anime was made like Origins, I'm sure I'd still be watching it. The battles seemed to have more thought and detail to them, and at times the intensity and choreography was raised to almost DBZ levels.

Also an interesting change to not have most of the Pokemon "talk" by calling their own names.
Yeah 4 episode just seemed a bit rushed. I'd prefer they made this mini series with at lest 10, instead of just explaining everything and rushing right to Giovanni, The Elite Four, and The Indigo League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic456 View Post
It was a relatively fun and faithful adaptation of the original games. The story was more tolerable for me than it is with the normal anime now. I do like the fact Red is actually interested in catching all Pokemon, not just being Pokemon Champion.

However I think I like Ash Ketchum more as a protagonist because he gets to travel to a lot more areas, while Red's journey just ends in Kanto.
Um didn't it say Red was headed to Johto, but yeah Ash gets to go everywhere.
Old 12-29-2013   #8
electronic456

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Um didn't it say Red was headed to Johto, but yeah Ash gets to go everywhere.
He did? Oh, ok. Never thought he would go to Johto... Thought he just went to catch Mew and stay at Mt. Silver for the rest of the life like in the games.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015   #9
Dr.Who
Banned

I enjoyed Origins a lot when it came out, but in hindsight, it felt a little rushed and didn't leave a strong impression on me like the earlier seasons of the Anime (you know, back when the Anime was actually supposed to be going somewhere and Ash actually won some major stuff).

As for the English dub, Bosch as Brock and Hebert as Oak were honestly average efforts at best, though they're gods compared to Rogers and Cathcart, who are literally ear-bleedingly awful as those two characters (respectively), but Brock and Prof. Oak sounded best in the English version under 4Kids if you ask me.

Price's Giovanni was excellent, though Lewis at his best in Mewtwo Returns is the take I prefer. Papenbrook's Red was excellent, too, he did a much better job than Knotz did in SSBB.

I actually prefer Lucien Dodge's Blue over Cathcart's Gary, he really did a good job as Blue.

Overall, Origins was better than the Sinnoh-Kalos Anime Series, but worse than Kanto-Hoenn Anime Series, to me.

Last edited by Dr.Who; 11-30-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015   #10
vgiannell5

What was the point of Red's Charizard Mega Evolving while battling Mewtwo?
vgiannell5 is offline   Reply With Quote