Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 06-01-2014   #1
KyraPotato

Smile Voice-Acting "Virgin"

I've never voice acted before but I'm really interested in doing so. I'm recording a couple of lines for Shingeki no Actors and I'm also hoping to be a part of another SnK audio play. However I've never done this before as I said. Are there any tips that people can give me about voice acting?
I would really appreciate the help!
KyraPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #2
baileymermaid95

Default Re: Voice-Acting "Virgin"

The rant below mostly focuses on the physical recording side of things, but when it comes to actually voice acting itself, just be yourself! Everyone interprets characters differently, so everyone will come up with a unique voice for that character. Your interpretation might not always be what the director was looking for, but that doesn't really matter. Don't try to change anything about you or your voice to fit into what someone else thinks. You can create character voices, but don't try to be anyone else.

When you are looking for projects to audition for, don't audition for anything that doesn't interest you. If you get cast, it will just mean a lot of tedious work that will simply annoy you, and will probably lead to a subconscious loathing of voice acting. Pick projects that you would legitimately enjoy being a part of.

The same thing goes for characters. Don't try to force anything to happen! If you can't think of a voice for a character, or can't figure out how you think a character would say a certain line, then simply don't audition for that character! There will always be something else you connect to better.

Last thing on voice acting, don't get mad about not getting cast. Getting upset wastes time, energy, and brain power that could be better spent auditioning for new projects!

That being said, here is my spiel on recording!

I understand the turmoil of trying to produce the best quality sound with limited equipment. My recordings are not the absolute best they could be, but I got all of my stuff for free, so here are my tips for new members:

1. Use what you have! I had an old Rock Band microphone that could plug into the USB port of my computer. While it would be nice to have a $300 dynamic microphone, I have something that works!

2. Have a place to record! Make yourself a sound booth! I'm not going to lie, I use my closet as my "sound booth". It not only gives you a place to focus, but helps eliminate unnecessary background noise because you wouldn't bring your barking dog or your loud fan into your recording booth. Here is a link for other great ways to eliminate background noise before you even start recording: http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/tap0...with-audacity/

3. Get Audacity! Everyone has a software program they like; personally, I prefer to do all my editing from the free version of Wavepad. However, no free program can eliminate spectral noise quite like Audacity. Noise removal is all I use it for, but it is worth it! Just highlight a half-second (500 milisecond) section of purely background noise, select Noise Removal under Effects, click Get Noise Profile, then go back to Noise Removal and click Ok. You may have to do this more than once, but it it a veritable life saver.

4. Don't be afraid of the mic! The microphone will not hurt you, please get closer to it! Enough said!

5. Get a little crafty! I made my own mic stand and pop filer from a DIY YouTube video! It's a fairly inexpensive way to fabricate the things you need and don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money to obtain. This is the video I used, but find what works for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEu83NO-qo

6. Don't ever apologize! The moment you apologize for your microphone quality, you have lost you chance at that part! Be confident in yourself! Do what you can to make your recordings sound good, then roll with it. More often than not, the Owner of the project probably didn't notice the poor quality until you said something. If you don't like what you produce, how can you expect anyone else to!?

I hope that helped! I'm still fairly new to this myself, but what does that matter? I fumbled my way through beginning amateur voice acting, and figured out most of this on my own. I don't want poor mic quality of a lack of confidence to stand in the way of anyone else's art.

So there you have it! Basically, just be the best version of yourself you can be!

As always,

Ali
baileymermaid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #3
PacoSlimee

Don't be afraid to act! I can't tell you how many times I've held back and ended up regretting not going all out.
PacoSlimee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #4
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

More of a preparation thing than anything else, but try & talk in whatever voice you can for as long as you can.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #5
Sparx94

Great tips here. I used to make YouTube videos with my sister using my old Barbie dolls. It's called "The Prince Show". I voiced Zee Zee. It's not that good, and I'm wondering if anyone has some advice to help me gain more confidence in my voice acting.
Sparx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #6
JoshB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx94 View Post
Great tips here. I used to make YouTube videos with my sister using my old Barbie dolls. It's called "The Prince Show". I voiced Zee Zee. It's not that good, and I'm wondering if anyone has some advice to help me gain more confidence in my voice acting.
Just act. When I'm recording, I spend a few minutes talking and doing things in character, even if it's as mundane as reading the ingredients on something in the voice, doing a few emotions, etc. It helps get you used to using a voice, warmed up a bit, and into the mentality to use that character.

I record in my apartment, pretty close to my front door. I've gotten over the fact that my neighbors probably think I'm completely insane. You should work on doing the same. Confidence will build over time.
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #7
FakeTsuki

Also another thing, from what I read no one's really said it.
Always do more takes. The more takes you do, the more you can feel what the character is actually saying and feeling and therefore your voice acting will improve because you know how you're supposed to say it ;3
FakeTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #8
MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeTsuki View Post
Also another thing, from what I read no one's really said it.
Always do more takes. The more takes you do, the more you can feel what the character is actually saying and feeling and therefore your voice acting will improve because you know how you're supposed to say it ;3
^ Yes, yes! Exactly this!! To quote Thomas Stephens (a.k.a. NTom64 of Hellfire Commentaries), "We don't do two takes".... they do about twenty instead.
Old 08-08-2014   #9
KyraPotato

Thank you so much for your advice! I found all your tips really helpful. I'm actually just about to audition for a few things. Again thanks so much!
KyraPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #10
MilanTheVillain01

Oh yeah, another think about the "two take mentality" as I call it. If the project owner/director gives you the green light to use voice filters & such in an audition, I'd suggest doing one take with effects & one take without them. So you can show them variation or progression in what your voice sounds like in a "before & after"-type scenario.

For example, Peter Dinklage's voice for the player's A.I. companion, Ghost in Bungie's upcoming shooter, Destiny, has been tweaked between the alpha & beta version. Apparently, Bungie's gonna change it again for the final game.

Tags
voice acting