Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Report Mistakes

Report Mistakes Report all errors here so we can fix them right away!

Old 07-30-2015   #1
Kioea

Default Teryl Rothery as Launch in DBZ? Doubtful

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but as it's a potential mistake, I figure this is most appropriate. Why is Teryl Rothery credited as Launch in DBZ Ocean dub? As far as I recall, the original run cut all her scenes (and the DB run never got as far as her introduction). Did she admit to recording several scenes that then got dropped? Otherwise, I can't see how that could be right. Don't get me wrong, I think she's be an amazing Launch. I just don't think that credit is accurate.
However, if it IS right, then it would be kinda funny. That would mean that, in the two original dubs (Ocean and Harmony Gold), Mai, Launch and Raven were all voiced by the same person.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 07-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #2
NCZ
Eh? Char? Don't know him.

Default Re: Teryl Rothery as Launch in DBZ? Doubtful

Probably one of those credits taken from dragon ball wiki.

Just to refresh my memory, Lunch appeared at the end of the Boo saga to donate energy to the spirit bomb. This was her only appearance in Z, BUT it was cut from the anime. Right?
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #3
Kioea

I think they did keep it in Ocean. I remember they showed Bora, Upa, Eighter and Suno, so I'm sure they kept Launch. However, I don't remember if they gave her any sound effects such as laughing (there were no actual lines), and unfortunately that clip doesn't seem to be available at the moment. That, and the fact that she was "Good" Launch, is why I haven't yet taken issue with Cathy Weseluck's credit. I'll need to find that clip again before I'm prepared to pass judgment on that.

Also, there were filler scenes during the Saiyan Saga, but Ocean skipped over those.
Old 07-30-2015   #4
Kioea

OK, I just found the clip (amazingly!), and I'm now prepared to take issue with Cathy's credit (and retract what I said about it earlier). Launch should've appeared right after Eighter and Suno, and before it jumps to the Mr. Satan sign, but they don't seem to have included her. I also noticed they cut Seventeen, possibly because his scene involved firearms. Have a look for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktMqkfvoBM

Then again, it may be just as well, as this is Launch's FUNimation Buu Saga appearance (and personally, I'd say her VA here sounds more like Leah Clark than Meredith McCoy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1j9GVSHnnk

Last edited by Kioea; 09-25-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2015   #5
LichaRose

Yeah, I've seen Dragon Ball Wikia claim that Teryl Rothery voiced Bad Lunch and that Cathy Weseluck voiced Good Lunch...but nope, their scenes were entirely cut in the old Ocean-voiced dub by FUNi.
Wonder how that started, maybe as a dream cast thing by a fan?

With FUNi's Buu dub, they seemed to have missed out that the lady was supposed to be Lunch, which is a shame.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015   #6
Kioea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LichaRose View Post
Yeah, I've seen Dragon Ball Wikia claim that Teryl Rothery voiced Bad Lunch and that Cathy Weseluck voiced Good Lunch...but nope, their scenes were entirely cut in the old Ocean-voiced dub by FUNi.
Wonder how that started, maybe as a dream cast thing by a fan?

With FUNi's Buu dub, they seemed to have missed out that the lady was supposed to be Lunch, which is a shame.
I'm wondering if they thought she was Maron, which would fit with the whole scenario? In that case, the dialogue would be more appropriate. But it's still a fairly big blunder.

Speaking as an Ocean fan, I have to wonder if it was started by fans who don't know (or don't want to accept) that Ocean never dubbed the entire thing? I mean, I've seen Ocean credits for the SPICE BOYS, and I'm thinking, "What are you talking about? Ocean never did that saga." I'd say that wishful thinking and partisanship are to blame for this.
Old 08-02-2015   #7
rosebr10

Here's a quick reference to where Launch's scene was (you can see the end of Suno's scene for a split-second due to how the clips were edited in that video). Clearly all sight and sound of her was removed from Z, just as Ocean DB stopped just short of her arrival (anyone versed in Blue Water know if she appears in the flashbacks of GT's final episode? Be funny if she was cut there, too).

And there you have it. Both sides of Launch will soon be joining the Spice Boys and Bardock... in the next dimension!

EDIT (08/05): Add Lisa Ann Beley's Chi-Chi (regarding the TV series, not the 2 movies). Laara Sadiq play her in both the Saban and Westwood portions of that dub.

Last edited by rosebr10; 08-05-2015 at 11:27 AM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015   #8
Kioea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
EDIT (08/05): Add Lisa Ann Beley's Chi-Chi (regarding the TV series, not the 2 movies). Laara Sadiq play her in both the Saban and Westwood portions of that dub.
Interesting. I hope I'm not sounding rude, but can you prove it? Where did you find that info?
Old 09-01-2015   #9
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioea View Post
OK, I just found the clip (amazingly!), and I'm now prepared to take issue with Cathy's credit. Launch should've appeared right after Eighter and Suno, and before it jumps to the Mr. Satan sign, but they don't seem to have included her. I also noticed they cut Seventeen, possibly because his scene involved firearms. Have a look for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktMqkfvoBM

Then again, it may be just as well, as this is Launch's FUNimation Buu Saga appearance (and personally, I'd say her VA here sounds more like Leah Clark than Meredith McCoy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1j9GVSHnnk
I definitely think that's Leah Clark, sounds a lot like Maron now that you mention it. It also lacks Meredith's sweet voice for Good Lunch, and it does indicate why Goku goes unrecognized.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #10
ajhz

I remember watching Launch on tv in the beginning of Dragon Ball Z with lines way back???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

ajhz is offline   Reply With Quote