Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 10-13-2014   #11
Spideyfan-0913

Default Re: Your Top Sentai Filmworks/ADV Films Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK071 View Post
Were those originally recorded by Sentai? Because this thread is about the ones they made in their own studios rather than the licences they bought out from other companies.
Yes, Rozen Maiden and Fate/stay night were dubbed by Sentai Filmworks. Not sure about The Big O.
Spideyfan-0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #12
shawnredkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan-0913 View Post
Yes, Rozen Maiden and Fate/stay night were dubbed by Sentai Filmworks. Not sure about The Big O.
Spidey, only Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen was dubbed by Sentai, Big O, Fate/stay night and all of the other Rozen Maiden seasons were dubbed in LA. Fate Kalied Liner Prisma Illya was dubbed by Sentai Filmworks though but Ghost Sweeper Mikami was dubbed in New York. That is all of the series that you had listed that Sentai did not dub, on the other hand for your list on ADV dubs, Medabots, Sailor Moon, and Monster Rancher were dubbed in Canada and Chobits was dubbed in LA, but were distributed by ADV Films not dubbed by ADV. Even though a series is licensed or distributed by ADV or Sentai does not guarantee it to either be dubbed or be dubbed by them. Some series were rescued by Sentai after Geneon and Bandai closed their doors and the dubs from New York like Jewel BEM Hunter Lime and Ghost Sweeper Mikami were rescued after the license was dropped.
shawnredkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #13
Spideyfan-0913

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnredkid View Post
Spidey, only Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen was dubbed by Sentai, Big O, Fate/stay night and all of the other Rozen Maiden seasons were dubbed in LA. Fate Kalied Liner Prisma Illya was dubbed by Sentai Filmworks though but Ghost Sweeper Mikami was dubbed in New York. That is all of the series that you had listed that Sentai did not dub, on the other hand for your list on ADV dubs, Medabots, Sailor Moon, and Monster Rancher were dubbed in Canada and Chobits was dubbed in LA, but were distributed by ADV Films not dubbed by ADV. Even though a series is licensed or distributed by ADV or Sentai does not guarantee it to either be dubbed or be dubbed by them. Some series were rescued by Sentai after Geneon and Bandai closed their doors and the dubs from New York like Jewel BEM Hunter Lime and Ghost Sweeper Mikami were rescued after the license was dropped.
Some other sources say other wise about Rozen Maiden (first series) and Fate/stay night. No, I can't share that with you or anyone.
Old 10-13-2014   #14
shawnredkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan-0913 View Post
Some other sources say other wise about Rozen Maiden (first series) and Fate/stay night. No, I can't share that with you or anyone.
Um some of those sources are wrong since if you check the cast for those shows they are voice actors from LA not from Houston, also even though those shows were licensed by Sentai, they would either be rescued by them due to Geneon or Bandai closing depending on who had the license originally or have not been licensed before and sent it to BangZoom (An LA anime dub company) to dub it like K-On season 2, K-On the Movie and Rozen Maiden Ouverture (the OVA of Rozen Maiden). They would never redub a series that has already been dubbed by someone else since it cost more money to redub the series compared to just using the dub that is already available to distribute. Fate/stay night was originally licensed by Geneon, got dubbed and released before they closed their doors also the first two seasons of Rozen Maiden (Rozen Maiden and Traumend)were licensed by the same company and released in 2007. If you are talking about post-production, that is not specifically talking the voice acting part of the process, more like doing the art work, the packaging and providing subtitles.
shawnredkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014   #15
Spideyfan-0913

Default Top Sentai Filmworks/ADV Films Dubs (updated, hopefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnredkid View Post
Um some of those sources are wrong since if you check the cast for those shows they are voice actors from LA not from Houston, also even though those shows were licensed by Sentai, they would either be rescued by them due to Geneon or Bandai closing depending on who had the license originally or have not been licensed before and sent it to BangZoom (An LA anime dub company) to dub it like K-On season 2, K-On the Movie and Rozen Maiden Ouverture (the OVA of Rozen Maiden). They would never redub a series that has already been dubbed by someone else since it cost more money to redub the series compared to just using the dub that is already available to distribute. Fate/stay night was originally licensed by Geneon, got dubbed and released before they closed their doors also the first two seasons of Rozen Maiden (Rozen Maiden and Traumend)were licensed by the same company and released in 2007. If you are talking about post-production, that is not specifically talking the voice acting part of the process, more like doing the art work, the packaging and providing subtitles.
I understand that I made some mistakes and as such, re-did my top Sentai Filmworks dub list. I hope this one is more accurate. If not, don't hesitate to correct me. Note: I don't have a Top 10 actually, just some of the anime I like.

Sentai Filmworks:
The World God Only Knows
Nyan Koi!
Kokoro Connect
Broken Blade
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Maid Sama!
Princess Resurrection
S.A: Special A

Last edited by Spideyfan-0913; 08-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2017   #16
EmperorBrandon
Top Contributor

As far as Houston-produced dubs go, the ADV era tends to dominate among my favorites. Part of the reason is I haven't really felt as fondly about Sentai era dubs in general (though there have been a number I've enjoyed to some degree, just hasn't been as many that have gotten as high in my esteem), though also because my backlog of Sentai dubs to try is massive. It's been harder to get around to them due to streaming availability issues (they don't put them on Hulu often, and I'm rarely subscribed to TAN).

Princess Tutu
Full Metal Panic!
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Kanon
Azumanga Daioh
Super GALS!
ef: A Tale of Memories.
Nanaka 6/17
Petite Princess Yucie
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
EmperorBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #17