Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 02-09-2018   #101
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: Dynasty Warriors - A New Beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Did he say that? That's interesting. I guess now that I think of it most of his roles do have some subtle distinctions even when they're similar voice types (e.g. King Kai and Morrison).

With that in mind I can definitely see some of those hangups in intonation coming from a conscious effort to make Fa Zheng sound distinct, if it is him.
I can't find the tweet I'm thinking of, but he expresses a similar sentiment here.
https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/sta...82403978031105

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 02-09-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #102
Red524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Sean seems like the type of person who doesn't like reusing voices. I remember a few years ago someone tweeted him something like, "I instantly recognized use as X character" and his response was that he was disappointed because he wants every character to sound unique or something along those lines.
If that's true imagine how happy he'd be to find that he potentially played a part that went unrecognized for years.
On a serious note, I did just finish Berserk and the big takeaway in regards to this is that Sean Schemmel and Marc Diraison's effort noises and yells actually sound more similar than I'd previously thought. I do still lean towards Sean for Fa Zheng though, the main reason being the lack of gruffness. Marc has a distinct gruffness to his voice that has only grown more pronounced in the last few years, and what really sealed the deal for me on that is his recent Fire Emblem clip.
Before that the only easy references I had for his voice recently were Guts, who despite his age calls for a somewhat weathered voice just because he's a prematurely aged character because of his experiences, and a multitude of mostly mid-adult to older adult characters like Tokiomi Tohsaka. With these characters the weathered gruffness is called for, meaning it's possibly somewhat put-on, something he could stop doing if necessary. However, judging at least from his design and his dialogue in the clip, Conrad doesn't really call for that. He seems to just be an upbeat young guy, but the weathered gruffness stays. That tells me it might just be a feature of his voice and the lack of that tells me Fa Zheng probably isn't him.
Besides that, Marc Diraison has a pretty distinct speech pattern that doesn't really change a lot between his characters. Fa Zheng doesn't really have it. Sean Schemmel has been demonstrated to be able to greatly vary his though, and whether it was effective in sounding good or not, him sounding like this as Fa Zheng would be in line with his noted want to make every character sound different. I still don't think it's impossible that Marc is playing Fa Zheng, but I still think Sean is more likely.
Red524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018   #103
Red524

Also, unrelated to the Fa Zheng debate, but I'm finally getting a new capture card so I should be able to actually record and post that Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5 footage to figure out some of the more elusive voices. I don't remember all the characters I was going to record off the top of my head but the ones I remember are:

Dynasty Warriors 4
- Guan Yu: I still want to say this is John Snyder but I don't remember if that was agreed upon.
- Wei Yan: Pretty sure this is actually Bob Papenbrook. His and Paul St. Peter's monster voices are pretty similar in general but there are a few lines that very distinctly slip into Bob's regular voice, and it would fit into the general 4 and 5 casting policy of double-casting everyone but triple-casting no one except Doug Stone, who was the director.
- Zhang He: I think this might actually be John Demita. I've become more familiar with his voice in the past year and since he's already in the cast it would make sense.

Dynasty Warriors 5
- Pang De: No idea. He still sounds like Dave Mallow to me, but Dave himself denied it.
- Lu Meng: See above.

If there was anyone else I'm forgetting let me know.
Old 02-10-2018   #104
Red524

One other thing that occurred to me recently, but I had an idea for Deng Ai's voice actor that might be a little out there, but could it be Josh Grelle? It's probably never come up since he's mainly known for doing high voices, but I found out recently that he was Spectral Sword Ares in Smite and though Deng Ai is a little lower and more subdued, I think I can hear a bit of similarity. Besides that, he is in the cast and Dynasty Warriors does love double-casting. Maybe I'm hearing things but could be worth considering.
Old 02-10-2018   #105
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red524 View Post
Also, unrelated to the Fa Zheng debate, but I'm finally getting a new capture card so I should be able to actually record and post that Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5 footage to figure out some of the more elusive voices. I don't remember all the characters I was going to record off the top of my head but the ones I remember are:

Dynasty Warriors 4
- Guan Yu: I still want to say this is John Snyder but I don't remember if that was agreed upon.
- Wei Yan: Pretty sure this is actually Bob Papenbrook. His and Paul St. Peter's monster voices are pretty similar in general but there are a few lines that very distinctly slip into Bob's regular voice, and it would fit into the general 4 and 5 casting policy of double-casting everyone but triple-casting no one except Doug Stone, who was the director.
- Zhang He: I think this might actually be John Demita. I've become more familiar with his voice in the past year and since he's already in the cast it would make sense.

Dynasty Warriors 5
- Pang De: No idea. He still sounds like Dave Mallow to me, but Dave himself denied it.
- Lu Meng: See above.

If there was anyone else I'm forgetting let me know.
I would like to request DW4 Jiang Wei if that's no trouble.
Old 02-11-2018   #106
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigikun View Post
Back to DW9, I'm feeling that Koei got the crediting wrong in regards to Zhao Yun. It says he's voiced by Gabriel Sousa who also voices Guan Ping but a few months back and based on his resume, Matt Fowler is listed as voicing him alongside Zhuge Liang. Hell, I've checked his twitter and he still talks in DW related tweets of voicing Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang.

Either his role got removed or Koei mis-credited the wrong person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dyAwuQ9Ebs

Here's a clip of a scene involving the character. I've heard some clips of Fowler's voice in some his reels, and I think I hear a bit of him in the clip but still not sure...
This I genuinely think is a miscredit. Zhuge Liang sounds pretty similar to Zhao Yun. He also linked that video of Zhao Yun on his Twitter. I think he would have noticed if the voice in that video wasn't him.
https://youtu.be/d4-_J2w2oIw

I'm really hoping the game itself has more accurate credits because if they screwed that up for an amateur studio we may never figure everything out.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 02-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018   #107
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red524 View Post
One other thing that occurred to me recently, but I had an idea for Deng Ai's voice actor that might be a little out there, but could it be Josh Grelle? It's probably never come up since he's mainly known for doing high voices, but I found out recently that he was Spectral Sword Ares in Smite and though Deng Ai is a little lower and more subdued, I think I can hear a bit of similarity. Besides that, he is in the cast and Dynasty Warriors does love double-casting. Maybe I'm hearing things but could be worth considering.
Somehow I didn't see this post. Anyway, while Deng Ai always struck me as someone with a lighter voice forcing himself down I'm not convinced it's Josh Grelle. The Ares there really isn't any lower than Sima Shi or Demigra and Deng Ai is quite a ways past that.
Old 02-11-2018   #108
NCZ
Eh? Char? Don't know him.

Josh Grelle actually announced he was Sima Shi on his personal Facebook way back when DW7 came out and he never mentioned Deng Ai. He doesn't seem the type to forget or gloss over multiple roles so that's my two cents.
Old 02-11-2018   #109
Red524

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Josh Grelle actually announced he was Sima Shi on his personal Facebook way back when DW7 came out and he never mentioned Deng Ai. He doesn't seem the type to forget or gloss over multiple roles so that's my two cents.
That's a fair point. It was kind of a shot in the dark anyway. The fact that I've never heard a voice from him in that range doesn't help, but I do agree with Nightmare Crusher that it sounds like someone with a not super deep voice putting on a deep voice. This video is pretty good for hearing his voice in isolation, but no other names really jump out at me right now.
Old 02-12-2018   #110
Red524

I recorded some of the voices from 4. I'm planning on recording and posting the CAW and generic voices from 4 later this week too because they might be helpful in figuring out some of the other cast members before I move on to 5. For now here's what I've got though. For reference, the first column of lines for each character are from the base game, the ones in the middle are a mix, and the last column is all Empires lines. (Please excuse the black and white and parts where I cut off lines )

Zhang He: I think this might be John Demita at least in the base game. One problem with the voice direction in this game is a lot of people not keeping the same voice for Empires even without a VA change so sometimes it's hard to tell when the VA actually changed. In this case it sounds to me like a different VA but I'm not sure who it is. Maybe Cam Clarke based on the Zhou Yu voice change?

Guan Yu: I think this is John Snyder. Guan Yu kind of sounds like a less gruff version of his Gakushu right down to the delivery. That, and he's already in the game and pretty much everyone in the cast is playing two characters.

Jiang Wei: The Empires voice at least is Richard Cansino for sure. It sounds exactly like his Pang Tong. For the base voice nothing's coming to mind though.

Wei Yan: While most of his lines are a generic growly monster voice, there's a few where he slips into a very distinctly Bob Papenbrook voice. One of the most obvious is at 1:30 where he just drops the Wei Yan voice completely.

Last edited by Red524; 02-13-2018 at 12:50 AM.