Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 07-01-2011   #11
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Dark of the Moon

Frank Welker as Shockwave was a surprise for sure. I'm actually glad they chose him instead of David Warner or Corey Burton. If it can't be either of them, a veteran like Frank is the only one who can take the job.

Buzz Aldrin? Oh yeah, the fact that they got him in the movie was pretty cool. He even got a rather big role. It must have been cool for the crew to work with him. It looks like they put a lot of effort and research into the Apollo 11 deal, but I'm glad they didn't bust out any conspiracy theories.

That's another thing I liked. There were jokes related to politics, but unless I'm not looking deep enough there wasn't any political commentary or choosing sides. Guess they wanted to play it safe after the controversy the last movie made.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #12
Foxwolf
Web Admin

So in the past, I've had a bad habit of watching all trailers and tv spots (over and over again). This time I only watched the teaser a couple of times and the trailer once. I'm so glad I stuck to my guns. Because nothing was spoiled for me. I freakin' loved it!!! So many surprises

The Awesome!
- Cybertron opening scene
- Prime and his trailer
- The freeway battle with the Dreads
- Tieing the space race and Chernobyl history with with the TF's.
- The Africa scene with the Decepticon trio
- Laserbeak and esp Laserbeak on Soundwave's arm.
- Prime no longer holding back with his "Kill them all" line and attitude
- Although I would've preferred to see more Bots on screen, the humans in the final battle were really good
- The flying squirrel suit scenes were epic (esp in 3D)
- Bumblebee being cool as always
- Buzz Aldrin cameo
- Humans getting disintegrated (except bones) by the Cons

The Surprises
- Sentinel betraying the Autobots
- Ironhide killed (I knew at least one Autobot had to die but thought it would be in the final battle)
- Soundwave as the Mercedes

The Disappointments
- same as ROTF with new Bots/Cons in there as background characters
- same as ROTF with lack of Bot interaction/conversation like in TF1.
- no one mentioning Ironhide's death
- Bumblebee still not talking. Radio gimmick is worn out
- Megs/Sound/Screamer/Shockwave not doing much (esp Shockwave who seemed to be marketed as a villain with a bigger part)

Can't wait to see it again in a week or two. Even though this is supposedly Bay's last Transformers movie, I hope they continue the franchise in this same universe and not reboot. Unlike many, I love the complexity of the designs. The next trilogy should follow along the lines of the animated movie. Set in 10-20 years in the future with Sam/Carly's kid (if you must have humans), Megs resurrected and becomes Galvatron, and then possibly bring Unicron into the mix. The fact that they showed a portion of Cybertron coming through the space bridge proves that a giant robotic planet would work. I hope these movies go on forever like James Bond and Star Trek.

Last edited by Foxwolf; 07-01-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #13
OptimusSolo
Banned

I agree with everything you said except the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
- same as ROTF with lack of Bot interaction/conversation like in TF1.
Actually ROTF had much more Bot interation/conversation than TF1 did

Quote:
I hope they continue the franchise in this same universe and not reboot. Unlike many, I love the complexity of the designs. The next trilogy should follow along the lines of the animated movie. Set in 10-20 years in the future with Sam/Carly's kid (if you must have humans), Megs resurrected and becomes Galvatron, and then possibly bring Unicron into the mix. The fact that they showed a portion of Cybertron coming through the space bridge proves that a giant robotic planet would work. I hope these movies go on forever like James Bond and Star Trek.
I disagree here - if they continue I hope they completely reboot - although by this third movie they did make the designs for the transformers a little more fluid and not just 1,0000 metal edges I still would like to see better designs - I did love Primes trailer though!
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #14
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusSolo View Post
Actually ROTF had much more Bot interation/conversation than TF1 did
ok, true. i guess what I meant was more interaction between all the Bot members. One scene from the first movie is when there's on the observatory talking about saving Bumblebee and protecting humans. Basically have a conversation that contributes to the story rather than just scenes like the Twins in ROTF (who I think could've been dumped down and give more dialogue to the other bots). Stuff like "Ironhide, we should leave this planet", "thats not what Optimus would want" I don't really count. It's cool but has little to no impact.

The dialogue with Prime and Sentinel were fantastic. I'm saying if we had more convos like that amongst all Bots and Cons would've been cool.

Things that would've be epicly awesome to have in DOTM would've been.
- The Autobot shuttle was actually Omega Supreme.
- Non car-based Autobots
- Prime devising a military plan after they "come back from the dead" so the "we take the battle to them" felt more like a strategic strike.

As for reboot or sequel, honestly I don't mind. I just want more live action TF movies!!!

Q: I keep reading about Stealth Force on tfw2005. What is it????

Last edited by Foxwolf; 07-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Foxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #15
OptimusSolo
Banned

Quote:

Q: I keep reading about Stealth Force on tfw2005. What is it????
A toy line I believe http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=13068
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #16
ajhz

Default Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

No Ultra Magnus
ajhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #17
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Apparently they were thinking of using Magnus originally instead of Sentinel Prime, but then changed him since it wasn't in Magnus' character to betray the Autobots.

Don't be sad, there's bound to be more TF movies and chances for favorites to appear
Old 07-02-2011   #18
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

There's always the comics and toyline, which gives pretty much anybody a shot at success.

Seriously. They got BLUDGEON in there.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011   #19
Jackson_H
Banned

Just saw it today.

I'm in the minority. I liked the film (better than the second) but I still prefer the first the most.

IMO Mikaela was a much better character than Carly. At least Mikaela took action and wasn't always a damsel in distress.

I know Megan Fox was fired (by Spielberg) but couldn't the writer(s) come up with a better excuse?

After helping save the world twice, experiencing significant events and sharing a bond with someone you grow to really care about, it's pretty unlikely to just dump that someone.

I didn't like how the Megatron and Optimus fight lasted about 5 seconds. I was hoping for one more final epic showdown.

IMO Starscream also deserved a more worthy death. He should've been killed by an autobot, not humans (characters I've honestly never really cared about).

Also didn't like how the movie just ended abruptly compared to the others.

Apparently this is the last of the Transformers movies (that Michael Bay is involved with anyways; being a cash cow Paramount might reboot it somewhere down the line) so IMO there wasn't enough satisfying closure for this trilogy.

Overall for me: 7 - 7.5/10
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011   #20
Foxwolf
Web Admin

The thing I took as closure was the fact that all the major enemies were killed. Otherwise in terms of character arcs (which never really existed in the Bayformers universe), no one really really had a proper ending. So yeah, I agree it wasn't a real ending.

As for it being a cash cow, it's already made $450+ million worldwide, so another movie is a no brainer. Reboot or not, I'm sure we'll see another movie in 2-3 years.

Tags
transformers, transformers dotm, unknown character