Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > Dream Casts

Dream Casts Be the Voice Director and cast your favorite voices for different shows, movies or games!

Old 06-13-2019   #11
DisneyAnimefan1995
Banned

Post Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
Sorry about that I just couldn't find the thread in the original forums so I had to do a new one instead.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019   #12
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAnimefan1995 View Post
Sorry about that I just couldn't find the thread in the original forums so I had to do a new one instead.
Nothing to fret about. I've just merged them.
Old 06-17-2019   #13
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Evangelion franchise

I made a joke Bob Buchholz Eva cast when word of the redub got out, but with Studiopolis kicking *** and taking names, I thought it'd be fun to try making an "all-out" cast like I'd hope they would.

Shinji: Sunny Suljic
Rei: Fryda Wolff
Asuka: Amanda Leighton
Misato: Colleen O'Shaughnessey
Gendo: Aaron LaPlante

Ritsuko: Paula Tiso
Toji: Troy Baker
Kensuke: Nicolas Roye
Makoto: Xander Mobus
Maya: Abby Trott
Aoba: Crispin Freeman
Kaji: Andrew Bowen
Hikaru: Janice Kawaye
Kozo: William Salyers
Keel: JB Blanc
Kaworu: Ray Chase

Shinji was the most important character to cast, and also the hardest one. So with the MAIN main cast, I decided to start with him and build everyone around him. I really wanted to cast a younger actor because I thought it was important for them to have an impressionable quality, since it's important to remember they're only 14 and that's a huge crux of the series. I didn't want to cast veteran adult actors because I felt authenticity is key to a series as raw as Eva. As well, I wanted to try thinking about people who don't have a lot of dubbing experience for that reason, and also because I thought Studiopolis's experiment with Josh Hutcherson in Ultraman paid off really well. I'd wait probably a year to see how Sunny's voice deepens, but his performance as Atreus gives me faith he could do a great job. I was a little looser with thinking this way for the supporting cast, more on them later, but I wanted to try doing it for the main cast.

I actually thought about Colleen as Asuka. She could pull off either Asuka or Misato, but I decided to put her as Misato because then she contrasts more with Shinji and Asuka and plays off Andrew's Kaji more. She's great at playing casual, laidback characters, but also has dramatic chops and a sense of maturity that get underrated a lot. I thought it made sense for Misato's VA to parallel her dynamic with the main kids.

I know Tomokazu Seki also voices Kanji, so while that's a fun little side note, it wasn't the reason why I put Troy for him. I was just thinking of people who are great at playing impulsive punks who put on a big game to mask their insecurities, and Troy was pretty much the first person who came to mind. I was inspired not just by Kanji but by elements of Baki, Snow, Delsin, and Sigma too. This was probably the most "obvious" casting choice I made, but kind of like Aoba (more on him later), sometimes it's just good to trust your gut. I know his voice is much older than Sunny's, but this was a case where similar to his Baki, I felt the acting and the qualities Troy could bring to Toji would be more important, and I think it works for him since he's someone who puts on such bravado that's beyond him.

Aaron LaPlante is friggin' awesome and as soon as I got the idea to cast him as Gendo I wrote him down immediately.

Despite not being the biggest role, he is an important one, and that calls for a skilled actor. Ray as Kaworu was a no-brainer. I have total faith he would make all of Kaworu's screentime count, and that's what matters.

Aoba was a weird one to cast. While he's not the BIGGEST character, I just knew I wanted him to have a cool, rich, smooth voice but didn't want to be too obvious. I kept telling myself I wanted a Crispin Freeman type, but had trouble thinking of people. Eventually I just sat down and realized, "if I'm trying to think of people who remind me of Crispin Freeman, why not just cast Crispin Freeman?" so I rolled with it.

I don't have a lot to say on the rest; those are the main ones where I had specific things I wanted to talk about or explain. They're all just skilled VAs who I knew could pull their roles off, have the qualities or skills in their performances that their characters need, and deserve some limelight.

Anyway, comments, questions, objections, feel free to sound off!

Last edited by NCZ; 06-17-2019 at 10:55 AM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019   #14
SNaG

BangZoom Eva

Shinji: Billy Kametz
Rei: Erica Mendez
Asuka: Erica Lindbeck
Misato: Erika Harlacher
Gendo: Keith Silverstein
Kaworu: Brandon Winckler

https://streamable.com/ekjrp
SNaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019   #15
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
#PlayingFavorites
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019   #16
CatsTuxedo

After hearing her in JoJo and Promised Neverland, Laura Stahl would make an optimal Shinji.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019   #17
Brave-King-Shishio

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Studiopolis; hypothetical Netflix cast)

Shinji Ikari: Finn Wolfhard (Mike Wheeler, Stranger Things)
Asuka Langley Soryu: Ashley Johnson (Ellie, The Last of Us)
Rei Ayanami: Hedy Burress (Yuna, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy)
Misato Katsuragi: Colleen Villard (Janet van Dyne/Wasp, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Gendo Ikari: David Kaye (Vandal Savage, Young Justice: Outsiders)
Ritsuko Akagi: April Stewart (Aphrodite, God of War III)
Kozo Fuyutsuki: William Frederick Knight (Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
Ryoji Kaji: Rino Romano (Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Batman)
Makoto Hyuga: Wally Wingert (Hank Pym/Ant-Man, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)
Maya Ibuki: Carrie Keranen (Mami Tomoe, Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Shigeru Aoba: Roger Craig Smith (Kiichi Goto, Patlabor 3: The Movie)
Kaworu Nagisa: Vincent Corazza (Ienzo, Kingdom Hearts III)

Toji Suzuhara: Will Friedle (Seifer Almasy, Kingdom Hearts II)
Kensuke Aida: Yuri Lowenthal (Yosuke Hanamura, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4)
Hikari Horaki: Cristina Vee (Miki Makumura, Devilman Crybaby)

Keel Lorenz: Steve Blum (Jindiao, Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny)
Brave-King-Shishio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019   #18
DisneyAnimefan1995
Banned

Post Re: Evangelion franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
I made a joke Bob Buchholz Eva cast when word of the redub got out, but with Studiopolis kicking *** and taking names, I thought it'd be fun to try making an "all-out" cast like I'd hope they would.

Shinji: Sunny Suljic
Rei: Fryda Wolff
Asuka: Amanda Leighton
Misato: Colleen O'Shaughnessey
Gendo: Aaron LaPlante

Ritsuko: Paula Tiso
Toji: Troy Baker
Kensuke: Nicolas Roye
Makoto: Xander Mobus
Maya: Abby Trott
Aoba: Crispin Freeman
Kaji: Andrew Bowen
Hikaru: Janice Kawaye
Kozo: William Salyers
Keel: JB Blanc
Kaworu: Ray Chase

Shinji was the most important character to cast, and also the hardest one. So with the MAIN main cast, I decided to start with him and build everyone around him. I really wanted to cast a younger actor because I thought it was important for them to have an impressionable quality, since it's important to remember they're only 14 and that's a huge crux of the series. I didn't want to cast veteran adult actors because I felt authenticity is key to a series as raw as Eva. As well, I wanted to try thinking about people who don't have a lot of dubbing experience for that reason, and also because I thought Studiopolis's experiment with Josh Hutcherson in Ultraman paid off really well. I'd wait probably a year to see how Sunny's voice deepens, but his performance as Atreus gives me faith he could do a great job. I was a little looser with thinking this way for the supporting cast, more on them later, but I wanted to try doing it for the main cast.

I actually thought about Colleen as Asuka. She could pull off either Asuka or Misato, but I decided to put her as Misato because then she contrasts more with Shinji and Asuka and plays off Andrew's Kaji more. She's great at playing casual, laidback characters, but also has dramatic chops and a sense of maturity that get underrated a lot. I thought it made sense for Misato's VA to parallel her dynamic with the main kids.

I know Tomokazu Seki also voices Kanji, so while that's a fun little side note, it wasn't the reason why I put Troy for him. I was just thinking of people who are great at playing impulsive punks who put on a big game to mask their insecurities, and Troy was pretty much the first person who came to mind. I was inspired not just by Kanji but by elements of Baki, Snow, Delsin, and Sigma too. This was probably the most "obvious" casting choice I made, but kind of like Aoba (more on him later), sometimes it's just good to trust your gut. I know his voice is much older than Sunny's, but this was a case where similar to his Baki, I felt the acting and the qualities Troy could bring to Toji would be more important, and I think it works for him since he's someone who puts on such bravado that's beyond him.

Aaron LaPlante is friggin' awesome and as soon as I got the idea to cast him as Gendo I wrote him down immediately.

Despite not being the biggest role, he is an important one, and that calls for a skilled actor. Ray as Kaworu was a no-brainer. I have total faith he would make all of Kaworu's screentime count, and that's what matters.

Aoba was a weird one to cast. While he's not the BIGGEST character, I just knew I wanted him to have a cool, rich, smooth voice but didn't want to be too obvious. I kept telling myself I wanted a Crispin Freeman type, but had trouble thinking of people. Eventually I just sat down and realized, "if I'm trying to think of people who remind me of Crispin Freeman, why not just cast Crispin Freeman?" so I rolled with it.

I don't have a lot to say on the rest; those are the main ones where I had specific things I wanted to talk about or explain. They're all just skilled VAs who I knew could pull their roles off, have the qualities or skills in their performances that their characters need, and deserve some limelight.

Anyway, comments, questions, objections, feel free to sound off!
NCZ, this is by far one of the best Dreamcast version of NGE if it were to be dubbed at Studiopolis and cool casting choice for Aaron LaPlante as Gendo. I'm not sure about Paula Tiso as Ritsuko, not to say it was bad but I hardly see her in ANY other productions besides some video game roles she does. But all in all just happy that SDI and especially Bang Zoom! aren't dubbing this series.

Also check out my Dreamcast for this series down below:

Quote:
Voice Director: Carrie Keranen

Shinji Ikari: Kyle McCarley, Lucien Dodge or Erik Kimerer
Misato Katsuragi: Carrie Keranen, Allegra Clark, or Erica Lindbeck
Rei Ayanami: Kira Buckland, Cristina Vee, Erica Mendez, or Brianna Knickerbocker
Asuka Langley Soryu: Erika Harlacher, Sarah Williams, Cherami Leigh, Erica Lindbeck, or Cristina Vee

Toji Suzuhara: Arnie Pantoja or Max Mittelman
Ritsuko Akagi: Julie Ann Taylor or Laura Post
Gendo Ikari: Jamieson Price, Patrick Seitz, or Keith Silverstein
Makoto Hyuga: Chris Hackney
Kensuke Aida: Lucien Dodge
Ryoji Kaji: Ray Chase
Hikari Horaki: Laura Stahl, or Katelyn Gault
Kozo Fuyutsuki: Kirk Thornton
Maya Ibuki: Erica Lindbeck, Ryan Bartley, or Faye Mata
Shigeru Aoba: Ben Pronsky, or Ben Diskin
Kaworu Nagisa: Todd Haberkorn

Pen Pen: Cristina Vee or Carrie Keranen
EVA Unit 01: Allegra Clark or Laura Post
Naoko Akagi: Dorothy Fahn, or Wendee Lee
Yui Ikari: Karen Strassman
Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu: Michelle Ruff
Keel Lorentz: Joe Ochman

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 06-20-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2019   #19
DisneyAnimefan1995
Banned

Post Re: Evangelion franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
BangZoom Eva

Shinji: Billy Kametz
Rei: Erica Mendez
Asuka: Erica Lindbeck
Misato: Erika Harlacher
Gendo: Keith Silverstein
Yup, that's Bang Zoom! for you summed up, in a nutshell, these last 5-6 years. I'm just glad they aren't involved doing the dub of NGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-King-Shishio View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Studiopolis; hypothetical Netflix cast)

Shinji Ikari: Finn Wolfhard (Mike Wheeler, Stranger Things)
Asuka Langley Soryu: Ashley Johnson (Ellie, The Last of Us)
Rei Ayanami: Hedy Burress (Yuna, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy)
Misato Katsuragi: Colleen Villard (Janet van Dyne/Wasp, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Gendo Ikari: David Kaye (Vandal Savage, Young Justice: Outsiders)
Ritsuko Akagi: April Stewart (Aphrodite, God of War III)
Kozo Fuyutsuki: William Frederick Knight (Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
Ryoji Kaji: Rino Romano (Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Batman)
Makoto Hyuga: Wally Wingert (Hank Pym/Ant-Man, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)
Maya Ibuki: Carrie Keranen (Mami Tomoe, Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Shigeru Aoba: Roger Craig Smith (Kiichi Goto, Patlabor 3: The Movie)
Kaworu Nagisa: Vincent Corazza (Ienzo, Kingdom Hearts III)
Toji Suzuhara: Will Friedle (Seifer Almasy, Kingdom Hearts II)
Kensuke Aida: Yuri Lowenthal (Yosuke Hanamura, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4)
Hikari Horaki: Cristina Vee (Miki Makumura, Devilman Crybaby)

Keel Lorenz: Steve Blum (Jindiao, Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny)
This is a good cast, although I'm not sure about the castings for Rei Ayanami, Gendo Ikari, Ritsuko Akagi, Ryoji Kaji, Kaworu Nagisa, and Toji Suzuhara. I wouldn't say they're bad castings but I really won't count on them doing a Union dub anime (regardless of the budget). Hedy Burress hasn't done much of anything new aside from Yuna from Final Fantasy. David Kaye, April Stewart, and Will Friedle don't do anime because of pay-scale, especially the former. Rino Romano and Vincent Corozza don't too much of voiceover these days, the former does commercial narration and the latter has semi-retired from voice work and acting (despite coming back to voice Ienzo for KH3) and spends time with his family in NYC these days.

Also check out my other Dream Cast I made for NGE:
Quote:
Voice Director: Carrie Keranen

Shinji Ikari: Kyle McCarley, Lucien Dodge or Erik Kimerer
Misato Katsuragi: Carrie Keranen, Allegra Clark, or Erica Lindbeck
Rei Ayanami: Kira Buckland, Cristina Vee, Erica Mendez or Brianna Knickerbocker
Asuka Langley Soryu: Erika Harlacher, Sarah Williams, Cherami Leigh, Erica Lindbeck, or Cristina Vee

Toji Suzuhara: Arnie Pantoja or Max Mittelman
Ritsuko Akagi: Julie Ann Taylor or Laura Post
Gendo Ikari: Jamieson Price, Patrick Seitz, or Keith Silverstein
Makoto Hyuga: Chris Hackney
Kensuke Aida: Lucien Dodge
Ryoji Kaji: Ray Chase
Hikari Horaki: Laura Stahl, or Katelyn Gault
Kozo Fuyutsuki: Kirk Thornton
Maya Ibuki: Erica Lindbeck, Ryan Bartley, or Faye Mata
Shigeru Aoba: Ben Pronsky, or Ben Diskin
Kaworu Nagisa: Todd Haberkorn

Pen Pen: Cristina Vee or Carrie Keranen
EVA Unit 01: Allegra Clark or Laura Post
Naoko Akagi: Dorothy Fahn, or Wendee Lee
Yui Ikari: Karen Strassman
Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu: Michelle Ruff
Keel Lorentz: Joe Ochman

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 06-20-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2019   #20
Brave-King-Shishio

Quote:
Yup, that's Bang Zoom! for you summed up, in a nutshell, these last 5-6 years. I'm just glad they aren't involved doing the dub of NGE.

This is a good cast, although I'm not sure about the castings for Rei Ayanami, Gendo Ikari, Ritsuko Akagi, Ryoji Kaji, Kaworu Nagisa, and Toji Suzuhara. I wouldn't say they're bad castings but I really won't count on them doing a Union dub anime (regardless of the budget). Hedy Burress hasn't done much of anything new aside from Yuna from Final Fantasy. David Kaye, April Stewart, and Will Friedle don't do anime because of pay-scale, especially the former. Rino Romano and Vincent Corozza don't too much of voiceover these days, the former does commercial narration and the latter has semi-retired from voice work and acting (despite coming back to voice Ienzo for KH3) and spends time with his family in NYC these days.

Also check out my other Dream Cast I made for NGE:
By my own admission, this is a highly unrealistic dub cast, and... well, that's sort of the point. To me, it's about the idea of a dream cast--idealised takes of the characters as I see them, regardless of how outlandish and unlikely it may seem. I've recently been trying to move beyond restricting myself to "realism" alone, and go for who I think best fits the character.

The casting pick for Shinji Ikari alone is outlandish and pretty much never gonna happen in a million years, but I legitimately believe that Finn has in him everything needed to make for a great English performance as Shinji.
Brave-King-Shishio is offline   Reply With Quote