ANNOUNCEMENT: The BTVA server has moved servers and undergone major code changes. If you experience any issues, please report them here

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > BTVA Site Features > Top Ten Lists

Top Ten Lists Discuss the Top Ten Lists from the site or post your own.

Old 04-19-2013   #1
VctrBnsn

Default Top 10 Superhero Animated Series Marvel/DC

1. Batman TAS
2. Young Justice
3. Spectacular Spider-Man
4. Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
4. Teen Titans
5. X-Men TAS
6. The Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes
7. Wolverine and the X-Men
8. Batman Beyond
9. Superman TAS
10. Spider-Man TAS

That is my opinion on the best animated superhero series, now I will talk about each one individually.

Batman TAS - Usually on the top of these kinds of lists, and for good reason. It changed the way we make superhero cartoons. Before it came out, most superhero shows were cartoony and toyetic, yet this show really treated the audience intelligently. The tone and style of every single superhero show to this day owes its existence to Batman TAS. The show also gave us some great characters like Harley Quinn, and some great new characterizations like with Mr. Freeze. But, the show did have some inconsistent animation and voice acting;sometimes the animation was really good, other times it wasn't. Sometimes the voice acting was great, other times it felt forced or unrelaxed. But, this show gave so much to superhero cartoons and cartoons in general that it deserves the number 1 spot.
Young Justice - This show got everything right. The animation was incredible, film quality really. The voice acting was spot on. The characters were great, and the storyline was so complicated that it kept you always wanting more. It respected the source material greatly, yet changed it enough so that comic book geeks didn't always know what was going to happen ( the fact that Roy Harper was a clone completely took me by surprise). Yet, the show had problems. Sometimes it juggled way too many characters and we never got to see all of them like we would want. Also, because the animation was so good, we had to wait through long hiatus periods, some almost half a year long. But even with that, the show always kept us wanting more. Then it got cancelled.
Spectacular Spider-Man - Probably the best we have ever seen of Spider-Man outside the comics. The plots were layered, the voice acting perfect, and the characterization was exactly what we wanted. This show left a lot of impact, especially for a series that only lasted 26 episodes.
Justice League/justice League Unlimited - The quintessential superhero show. This show had a phenomenal cast, great stories, and more superheroes than you can name. The character interaction was perfect, and the show made some little known heroes (like Jon Stewart) household names. A perfect final installment to the DCAU.
Teen Titans - At first glance, looks silly and stupid. And many times, it was. But man, when it was good, IT WAS GOOD!! This show made household names of basically unknown heroes, started the careers of Khary Paton and Greg Cipes, and made a great family out of a normal group of heroes. The show was hilarious, yet got very dark at times. The cast was amazing, and the characterization shined. Audiences really fell in love with these characters, and for good reason.
X-Men TAS - This show really changed things for Marvel. It jump started more animated adaptations of Marvel characters, with a different town than previous incarnations. Sure, it got corny and had a goofy script, but the way it handled actual comic stories was never seen before, and it paved the way for others in its footsteps.
The Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes - The reason this show was great is because although it borrowed elements from the films, it didn't shove them down our throats. If anything, the show resembled the comics most. The cast was great, the animation good, and had a lot of great and layered storylines (some of them never realized, like the Surtur setup and hints toward Civil War ). One problem with the show though, it may have followed the comics too closely. It didn't have many original stories, and many of the twists a comic geek could see a mile away ( Loki being the mastermind behind the events of Season 1, Red Hulk being General Ross, Winter Soldier being Bucky, Dell Rusk being Red Skull) because they read the comics. But that's good if the only complaint is that the show followed the comics too well.
Wolverine and the X-Men - What can I say? Perfect cast, perfect animation, perfect setup. Some don't like the focus on Wolverine, but I think they balance it well. My only regret, they got cancelled after introducing an Age of Apocalypse cliffhanger
Batman Beyond - Interesting concept that actually worked. Who knew a show about a futuristic Batman would be so cool and not too gimmicky.
Superman TAS - A great serious take on the Man of Steel. Sure, it went into generic superhero show at times, but when it was good, it was good. I think it's worthy being on this list for Michael Ironside Darkseid alone .
Spider-Man - Goofy cast, goofy voice acting, goofy plots. This show took itself way too seriously when it was being ridiculous. Yet, why do we still have fond memories of it? To many of us it is THE Spider-Man animated series. When people think of Spider-Man, they think of this show. I think that makes it worthy of being on this list.

Now for honorable mentions.

Green Lantern TAS - Great cast, great story, and surprisingly well done CGI. Yet, this show's 26 episodes didn't leave as much impact as SSM's or WatXM's 26 episodes.
Iron Man Armored Adventures - At first the concept of a teenage Tony Stark and the CGI turned me off. But after watching it, I really loved it. The voice acting was good, the CG surprisingly well done, and I loved the guest star Marvel characters.
X-Men Evolution - Although sometimes it ringed more teen drama than X-Men cartoon, in the end, the idea of making them kids made sense. I mean, weren't all the original X-Men teens anyway?
Batman The Brave and The Bold - Goofy, yet in a tongue in cheek way. This show featured many little known heroes and finally gave them the spotlight.
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #2
TheVengeanceKnight

Default Re: Top 10 Superhero Animated Series Marvel/DC

Too lazy for in-depth explanations, but:

1. Justice League Unlimited
2. The Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Green Lantern: The Animated Series
4. Superman: The Animated Series
5. Wolverine and the X-Men
6. Justice League
7. Young Justice
8. Batman: The Animated Series
9. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
10. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #3
VctrBnsn

Good list, I just hope Ultimate Spider-Man steers clear from this list. Uhh, just the thought gave me shivers.
Old 04-24-2013   #4
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VctrBnsn View Post
Good list, I just hope Ultimate Spider-Man steers clear from this list. Uhh, just the thought gave me shivers.
It would go to "Dishonorable Mentions".
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #5
VctrBnsn

You know, I should totally do that list. Top 10 Worst Superhero Shows.
Old 04-24-2013   #6
VctrBnsn

Never mind, can't think of that many REALLY BAD superhero cartoons.
Old 04-24-2013   #7
coolgeek176

Quote:
Fred And Barney Meet The Thing comes to my mind.
coolgeek176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #8
VctrBnsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek176 View Post
Fred And Barney Meet The Thing comes to my mind.
I blocked that horrible memory out of my mind. Thanks for reminding me .

Besides that, all I can come up with are Ultimate Spider-Man and that 90's Avengers series.
Old 04-24-2013   #9
pokemastanumba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
It would go to "Dishonorable Mentions".
Quote:
You know, I should totally do that list. Top 10 Worst Superhero Shows.
Quote:
While none of them are absolutely horrible, there are a few DC/Marvel productions which I found to be underwhelming:
  • Ultimate Spider-Man (already been covered)
  • Super Hero Squad Show (it's actually ok if you're under 13 and/or not familiar with the comics, but I'd steer clear otherwise)
  • Batman Brave and the Bold (same with Super Hero Squad Show)
  • The Avengers United They Stand (haven't actually seen any of this show myself, but based on the characters' clips on its BTVA page, the voice acting sucks, and of course, the character designs aren't much better )
  • Hulk Vs. (I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but this particular production just didn't have much of an impact. First off, it's only available on DVD. Second, it's each part is only about 40 minutes long. Third, I didn't approve of how Marvel couldn't have tried to do at least a bit more to make up for the cancellation of Wolverine and the X-Men. And last but not least, Lady Deathstrike's blood-curdling scream almost literally busted my eardrums )
  • Anything that was made before the 80's
  • That Phineas and Ferb meets the Avengers crossover (if it actually even comes to pass, that is)
Old 04-24-2013   #10
coolgeek176

I can agree with The Superhero Squad Show but not Batman The Brave And The Bold. I am familiar with comics and I think that show is great. It's definitely the more campy Batman like in the Adam West show.

Last edited by coolgeek176; 04-26-2013 at 07:48 PM.
coolgeek176 is offline   Reply With Quote