Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Gaming Central > General Game Discussion

General Game Discussion Discuss the latest video game hit or the classics from long ago.

Old 12-30-2015   #1
The Doctor

Default Games that you have mixed feelings about

Inpired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlqHpFURJg

So what games you love and hate at the same time i.e. games that you like to play time to time, but also get frustrated over their flaws?

Here are mine (not in any particular order):

Dead Space 3
In terms of gameplay, this is fine. The weapons are fun to use and the challenges never get too hard. As generic TPS it's passable. But as Dead Space game? It is horrible! The creepy atmosphere and sound editing from the previous games is completely gone, necromorphs are much easier to kill (you don't even need to shoot their limbs of anymore), the villain is like something from a bad James Bond movie and the story is more focused on pointless love triangle than horror. Not to mention pointless side-quests that completely ruin the pacing of the main story.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
The free web-slinging is arguably some of the best of any Spider-Man game (haven't played TASM games, so can't compare to them), combat is a lot of fun, switching between classic-Spidey and symbiote-Spidey works pretty well and has an actual point in the game and the morality system, while extremely black-and-white, does give the game certain replay - value. But goddam is this game repetive. Especially the side-quests get really boring really fast.

Defeat 20 enemies.
Defeat 50 enemies
Defeat 100 enemies.
Defeat 250 enemies.
Defeat 500 enemies.

AAAAAAAARGH!

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to finnish all the side-quests and just skipped them. And once I finnished the game, I kinda felt relieved. Like I had just completed a burdensome school project or something. And that's not how a video game should make you feel.

Fantastic Four: The Video Game
While much better than the movie it's based on, it is still very flawed. One of the biggest problems is the lack of save points during the stages, so if you die you have to restart the whole stage. Another problem is that the game is pretty much nothing, but walking from one room to another and fighting tons of enemies. You really need two things to make the game fun: Cheat code, so your "Cosmic Power Meter" never runs out (so you can just spam all the powerful attacks), and a second player, so you have someone to goof around with while fighting the waves of generic enemies after another.

Oh, another redeeming quality of the game are F4 - tokens. They are not particularly fun to collect or anything like that, but getting them all unlocks interview videos with Stan Lee where he talks about the creation of Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom. Those are really fun to watch, if you are fan of the comics and the characters.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Of all the games I just listed, this is easily the least bad. Scratch that. Is not bad at all. The gameplay is a lot of fun and flowmotion was just awesome. Unfortunately there are some problems that stop me from liking it as much as some of the other games in the franchise. Maybe I just wasn't used to it yet (this was my first 3DS game ever), but the action was so fast paced and the screen so small that it was hard to tell what was going on. This became a problem especially during the boss battles. I also really hated the drop system. It felt like the game would force me to switch between the characters always at the worst possible moments and I would have preferred just playing through the game as each character separately. This was also the point where the story of Kingdom Hearts IMO became too complicated for its own good. I think I got everything, but man was it hard to keep up. But what I disliked the most were the dream eaters. Forcing me to play a pet simulator to get any good abilities was just horse**** and the diabeetus inducing soundtrack during those sections was just unbearable.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #2
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Default Re: Games that you have mixed feelings about

If this game didn't have a werehog, it would've been amazing.

Unfortunately, it has a werehog.

Gorgeous aesthetics and the core gameplay is kinda fun for a round or two here and there. Unfortunately, it gets old really fast and has virtually no content (four planets, six Heroes/Villains, nothing from the Prequels, Sequels, Clone Wars, etc.). A sequel has the potential to be cool since they laid a nice foundation... there's just not a lot to it right now.

It was fun for a bit at first, but its overall atmosphere, aesthetic, and tone really rub me the wrong way. Whereas the previous MVC games were colourful, crazy, followed no rules whatsoever and were packed to the brim with no shortage of both popular and obscure characters, MVC3 just felt really soulless. It's hard for me to put it in words but, while the core mechanics were solid and I loved some of the new characters (e.g. Viewtiful Joe, Dante, Amaterasu) it just lacked the sense of charm and chaos that made the original games so great. I didn't bother with the Ultimate upgrade because I just didn't have enough fun with the original to justify buying the same game again within 9 months of the original.

Also, the lack of Mega Man is still inexcusable. Come on, dudes. If you can make Taskmaster playable you can make Mega Man playable.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-30-2015 at 08:36 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #3
DarkWhite

Sonic Adventure 2
Loved it as a kid but like many who grew older, I found it aged like milk. On one hand I love some of the old character voices, the gameplay is still very fun (yes even the treasure stages), and the music is still fantastic. But then theres the plot-hole ridden story, the camera is very wonky, the cutscene animation is awkward, and the rival battles are a let down

TMNT Out of the Shadows
Very glitchy but a surprisingly deep beat em up that strays away from the typical button masher formula. Feel it gets too much flak

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Fantastic campaign and a load of fun to play multiplayer with friends but oh my god was the MP a broken, unbalanced mess. Assault Rifles made other primaries useless, shotguns and machine pistols were op, tactical insertions ruined Free For All with boosters, the maps were designed for camping, technical issues like the javelin glitch or the matchmaking glitch were exploited, and frag grenades were useless compared to semtexs

Fallout 4
Fun game to play but doesn't feel like a good Fallout game. I don't like the quests, iron sight combat, the dialogue wheel, the new skill system or the music (I'm sick of Butcher Pete how bout some Buddy Holly). Guess I'm too much of a sucker for 3

Chrono Cross
I adore the battle system of this game, it looks amazing, beautiful music, and has cool characters. But one huge problem I had was the story and how it ties into Chrono Trigger. Plus unlike CT a lot of the partners don't get developed that well or have interesting back stories.
DarkWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015   #4
NCZ
Ask me about unions

I hear a lot of people debate as to whether FO4 is better than New Vegas or not! Having played neither I just sit back and watch.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 haven't aged well but I still have a soft spot for them for some reason. Cheesy and janky, absolutely, but I still think they're fun. Honestly I don't feel like there's ever been a perfect 3D Sonic but Generations is probably the one that comes closest to being a natural evolution of the MD games while taking the series forward. Shame Lost World decided to reinvent the wheel again for some reason, but eh.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-30-2015 at 07:10 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #5
The Doctor

I finnished playing the original Mirro's Edge for the first time and man do I have conflicting, but sadly mostly negative feelings.

While the idea of the game is fun, the controls really kill it. Too often I was jumping at the platforms like a jackass with no response or falling to my death, because the character wouldn't grap on the ledges or the like. But what really killed my enjoyment and made me almost quit the game entirely multiple times was the wallrunning. Oh. My. GOD! Maybe I simply just sucked at it, but it seemed like that no matter how good my timing was, the wallrunning would fail 9 times out of 10 and I would get stuck at dumbest points of the game until I got it right by some miracle. It got especially frustrating during the final chapter when there are multiple wallrunning obstacles in a row

The story was also kinda weak. While not unlikeable or anything like that, characters are one-note, the world building is weak (this is supposed to be dark dystopia, but we hardly ever see what makes it so bad), the last minute plot-twists come out of nowhere and the ending is big fat anticlimax with no resolution. I guess they were planning to flesh these things out in a potential sequel, but since the new game is apparently a reboot, what was even the point?

You migh wonder how can I call these "mixed feelings", if I have so much negative to say about this game. Well, when the parkour gets momentum and there's no wallrunning, it is really fun and does kinda make you feel like that you are actually jumping from one rooftop to a another. There were moments when I was really enjoying myself. So while I didn't exactly like the game (as a whole), I didn't hate it either.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #6
HylianBelmont

I guess I've always been mixed on Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Because while it's really fun to play it's also pretty.....forgettable at the same time? Like the lack of supports and so on really brought it down for me. I believe the sequel to it fixed a lot of the issues that it had though! But unfortunately, it was never released outside of Japan so lol.
HylianBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #7
Gaddes

Fallout 4 is one that instantly jumps to mind. Weather it's the copy and paste story from 3 (This time you play the father looking for his son! Ground breaking stuff.) or the sloppy writing with black and white moral choices. The biggest offender is the utterly pointless settlement building system. Compared for New Vegas, hell even Fallout 3, Fallout 4 is a massive step back.
Gaddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #8
boltrod

Civ V. I played it because it was new Civ but a lot of the changes wound me up. Basically if Civ IV wasn't so good, I would have loved Civ V but the gameplay felt too simplistic and dumbed down by comparison.
boltrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #9
Gaddes

FFXIV: Heavensward comes to mind instantly. Having played it since it's launch, I can safely say it's weaker than a Real Reborn. It suffers from pacing issues as the much hyped Dragon Song war is over and done with by patch 3.3. In fact the story as a whole just feels generic. and everything is resolved far to quickly just to move on to several patch of filler content.

Speaking of filler, lets talk about Diadem and Lords of Verminion. Sheesh talk about wasted time and effort on stuff that was dead on arrival. Which is a shame, Diadem is pretty fun but neither of which are even remotely active.

Last but not least, the minor but never the less equal disappointing new English voice cast. I gave it a fair shot, but outside of Byrce Ritson as Aymeric and Robert Vernon as Estinien, most of the cast is largely forgettable. I do hope Stormblood can up the quality of game content because yikes, Heavensward pooped the bed fast.
Gaddes is offline   Reply With Quote