Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015   #21
HienFan
Member
 
HienFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 145
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

In no particular order
1 Wally Burr- sure his standard is high but it also lead to a high quality work
2 Doug Stone- The later Ps2 Dynasty Warriors game that is all
3 Terry Klassen- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Ed, Edd n Eddy, the old Megaman toon
4 Amanda Winn Lee- lots of old unforgettable anime here
5 Charlie Adler- Replace anime with cartoon and here we go
6 Bob Bulcholz- Many Square games, Digimon
7 Richard Epcar- one of the earliest example of great dubbing for Japanese media
8 Dan Hennesey- lots of old cartoons
HienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #22
Autovolt
Senior Member
 
Autovolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Age: 26
Posts: 2,333
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Here I go.

1.) Andrea Romano - Her work speaks for herself from The DC cartoons to TMNT to Avatar/Korra to the WB cartoons of the 90's. In my opinion she's the greatest voice director that will ever exist. Her legacy is a huge list and is a huge part of every one of our childhoods. The fact she's able to bring celebrity talent and the regular voice actors in the industry together. It's incredible. I will admit some of her DC movie castings as of late have been rather faulty but she's still great otherwise.

2.) Jamie Simone - He's beginning to rival Andrea Romano (IMO), he has one advantage which is that he also is a ADR director for anime like Naruto, Tiger & Bunny and then there is his work for Marvel and both Transformers Prime and RID (2015). Studiopolis is very lucky to have him.

3.) Susan Blu - I love the work she's done for the Transformers franchise from Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and the first few episodes of Prime. She is also one of the few voice director to work in both Canada and the U.S, She also did Jackie Chan Adventures, Ben 10 Omniverse and even the Street Fighter cartoon.

4.) Michael Sinterniklaas - The Founder of the NYAV Post and a long time VA, voice/ADR director. I may not have heard much but he has to be one of the best directors there are. His work on Berserk is some of the best I've heard, Slayers is a major highlight too and he's done some cartoons like The Venture Bros. I plan on watching anything he's directed now.

5.) Karl Willems - This guy is Canada's best voice director. Inuyasha and Death Note were two of the major anime I grew up watching back in the day, and his casting still have left a huge impression on me. I think his dub for Escaflowne while a bit weaker than some of his other work is still solid enough especially for its time. I also loved his work on X-Men Evolution, Iron Man: Armoured Adventures, Megaman NT Warrior and Cybersix.

6.) Tony Oliver - The best ADR director at Bang Zoom! If he's directing I'm giving it a go. Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero are his magnum opus I feel. I also like his efforts directing the dubs for Magi, Eureka 7 and Squid Girl.

7.) James Corrigall -I bet most people hadn't even heard of him but you must have heard his work. Black Lagoon and most of the Gundam franchise. He is fantastic and definitely doesn't get enough credit.

8.) Mike McFarland and Colleen Clinkenbeard (tie) I had a hard time picking my favourite ADR director at FUNimation. I've seen a fair share of their dubs and I quite like them but there really isn't one whose efforts that I loved the most but If I had to pick it'd be either Mike or Colleen. Both of them directed Full Metal Alchemist so that's a major reason why I chose them both. Mike has done so much amazing work it's not just for the shows he does but rather the kind of talents he's been able to bring in from all around the country/continent. He is still the only ADR director to ever gotten Scott McNeil to come in. As for Colleen she did the Steins;Gate and High School DXD dubs and I love them to bits.

9.) Kevin Seymour - Cowbop Bebop,Code Geass and Ghost in the Shell , the 3 of them are on my favourite dubs list. It's a shame he didn't do much more than this. RIP

10.) Terry Klassen - He isn't my favourite voice actor but his direction is quite good I say. I liked the work he did for Transformers: Cybertron (despite it's flaws is quite enjoyable and a huge step up from Armada and Energon's direction). Of course he's also My Little Pony's voice director and he's been doing a great job with it.

Honourable Mentions:

Wally Burr - G1's voice director and is surprisingly is a ADR director too. Neat!

Collette Sunderman - She's worked on so many cartoons so many of the Cartoon Network shows from Scooby-Doo to Powerpuff Girls to Dexter's Lab and even The Batman Arkham Games.

Ginny McSwain - Gravity Falls has been a great show and it's voice work has been no exception. and she did Jimmy Neutron, Transformers: Rescue Bots, GI Joe Renegades and so many other great shows that if i listed them we'd be here all day.

Christopher Sabat - He's gotten so good at directing Dragonball Z after all these years especially with Kai and Battle of the Gods. It's also cool he owns a recording studio (Okratron5000)

Kristi Reed - Fantastic work with shows like Durarara!, Accel World and Lagrange.

Tyler Walker - Loved his dubs for Fairy Tail and Baccano.

Suzanne Goldish - From 4Kids to Studiopolis. Suzanne's doing a really good job thus far with the Sailor Moon dub.

Christopher Bevins - Jormungand. That is all.

Charlie Adler - Klasky Csupo's go to voice director.

Jack Fletcher - while I haven't really heard his work I must admit he's got quite an amazing amount of credits under his belt. Someday I should get around to watch the Disney Ghibli movies and their dubs. Seriously there hasn't been anyone else whose directed anime using western animation talent. That is awesome.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #23
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienFan View Post
In no particular order
1 Wally Burr- sure his standard is high but it also lead to a high quality work
2 Doug Stone- The later Ps2 Dynasty Warriors game that is all
3 Terry Klassen- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Ed, Edd n Eddy, the old Megaman toon
4 Amanda Winn Lee- lots of old unforgettable anime here
5 Charlie Adler- Replace anime with cartoon and here we go
6 Bob Bulcholz- Many Square games, Digimon
7 Richard Epcar- one of the earliest example of great dubbing for Japanese media
8 Dan Hennesey- lots of old cartoons
Nice choices. Dan Hennessey's direction is quite good, I must admit.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #24
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Here I go.

1.) Andrea Romano - Her work speaks for herself from The DC cartoons to TMNT to Avatar/Korra to the WB cartoons of the 90's. In my opinion she's the greatest voice director that will ever exist. Her legacy is a huge list and is a huge part of every one of our childhoods. The fact she's able to bring celebrity talent and the regular voice actors in the industry together. It's incredible. I will admit some of her DC movie castings as of late have been rather faulty but she's still great otherwise.

2.) Jamie Simone - He's beginning to rival Andrea Romano (IMO), he has one advantage which is that he also is a ADR director for anime like Naruto, Tiger & Bunny and then there is his work for Marvel and both Transformers Prime and RID (2015). Studiopolis is very lucky to have him.

3.) Susan Blu - I love the work she's done for the Transformers franchise from Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated and the first few episodes of Prime. She is also one of the few voice director to work in both Canada and the U.S, She also did Jackie Chan Adventures, Ben 10 Omniverse and even the Street Fighter cartoon.

4.) Michael Sinterniklaas - The Founder of the NYAV Post and a long time VA, voice/ADR director. I may not have heard much but he has to be one of the best directors there are. His work on Berserk is some of the best I've heard, Slayers is a major highlight too and he's done some cartoons like The Venture Bros. I plan on watching anything he's directed now.

5.) Karl Willems - This guy is Canada's best voice director. Inuyasha and Death Note were two of the major anime I grew up watching back in the day, and his casting still have left a huge impression on me. I think his dub for Escaflowne while a bit weaker than some of his other work is still solid enough especially for its time. I also loved his work on X-Men Evolution, Iron Man: Armoured Adventures, Megaman NT Warrior and Cybersix.

6.) Tony Oliver - The best ADR director at Bang Zoom! If he's directing I'm giving it a go. Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero are his magnum opus I feel. I also like his efforts directing the dubs for Magi, Eureka 7 and Squid Girl.

7.) James Corrigall -I bet most people hadn't even heard of him but you must have heard his work. Black Lagoon and most of the Gundam franchise. He is fantastic and definitely doesn't get enough credit.

8.) Mike McFarland and Colleen Clinkenbeard (tie) I had a hard time picking my favourite ADR director at FUNimation. I've seen a fair share of their dubs and I quite like them but there really isn't one whose efforts that I loved the most but If I had to pick it'd be either Mike or Colleen. Both of them directed Full Metal Alchemist so that's a major reason why I chose them both. Mike has done so much amazing work it's not just for the shows he does but rather the kind of talents he's been able to bring in from all around the country/continent. He is still the only ADR director to ever gotten Scott McNeil to come in. As for Colleen she did the Steins;Gate and High School DXD dubs and I love them to bits.

9.) Kevin Seymour - Cowbop Bebop,Code Geass and Ghost in the Shell , the 3 of them are on my favourite dubs list. It's a shame he didn't do much more than this. RIP

10.) Terry Klassen - He isn't my favourite voice actor but his direction is quite good I say. I liked the work he did for Transformers: Cybertron (despite it's flaws is quite enjoyable and a huge step up from Armada and Energon's direction). Of course he's also My Little Pony's voice director and he's been doing a great job with it.

Honourable Mentions:

Wally Burr - G1's voice director and is surprisingly is a ADR director too. Neat!

Collette Sunderman - She's worked on so many cartoons so many of the Cartoon Network shows from Scooby-Doo to Powerpuff Girls to Dexter's Lab and even The Batman Arkham Games.

Ginny McSwain - Gravity Falls has been a great show and it's voice work has been no exception. and she did Jimmy Neutron, Transformers: Rescue Bots, GI Joe Renegades and so many other great shows that if i listed them we'd be here all day.

Christopher Sabat - He's gotten so good at directing Dragonball Z after all these years especially with Kai and Battle of the Gods. It's also cool he owns a recording studio (Okratron5000)

Kristi Reed - Fantastic work with shows like Durarara!, Accel World and Lagrange.

Tyler Walker - Loved his dubs for Fairy Tail and Baccano.

Suzanne Goldish - From 4Kids to Studiopolis. Suzanne's doing a really good job thus far with the Sailor Moon dub.

Christopher Bevins - Jormungand. That is all.

Charlie Adler - Klasky Csupo's go to voice director.

Jack Fletcher - while I haven't really heard his work I must admit he's got quite an amazing amount of credits under his belt. Someday I should get around to watch the Disney Ghibli movies and their dubs. Seriously there hasn't been anyone else whose directed anime using western animation talent. That is awesome.
I'm really liking your choices and honorable mentions.

Recording directors mentioned in this thread:

Bernard Cowan
Stu Rosen
Alan Dinehart
Gordon Hunt
Don Jurwich
Wally Burr
Andrea Romano
Sue Blu
Doug Parker
Madeleine Bascom
Collette Sunderman
Jack Fletcher
Steve Foster
Karl Willems
Terry Klassen
Jamie Simone
Kris Zimmerman
Ginny McSwain
Kelly Ward
Charlie Adler
Doug Stone
Amanda Winn-Lee
Bob Buchholz
Richard Epcar
Dan Hennessey
Michael Sinterniklaas
Tony Oliver
James Corrigall
Mike McFarland
Colleen Clinkenbeard
Kevin Seymour
Chris Sabat
Kristi Reed
Tyler Walker
Suzanne Goldish
Christopher Bevins
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #25
cartoonvoice
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 514
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Does anybody know what year Charlie Adler started voice directing?
And how many episodes of Rugrats did he direct?
cartoonvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #26
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonvoice View Post
Does anybody know what year Charlie Adler started voice directing?
And how many episodes of Rugrats did he direct?
He started directing in the late 90s (1998 to be precise). He directed over 30 Rugrats episodes.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #27
Archerboy58
Member
 
Archerboy58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Skokie, Illinois
Age: 22
Posts: 102
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Andrea Romano is my favorite. Wally Burr is my 2nd favorite
Archerboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #28
economics
Member
 
economics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: N/A
Posts: 90
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerboy58 View Post
Andrea Romano is my favorite. Wally Burr is my 2nd favorite
Agreed.
__________________
3,500 for da coat!
economics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #29
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerboy58 View Post
Andrea Romano is my favorite. Wally Burr is my 2nd favorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by economics View Post
Agreed.
Nice choices, guys. Both Romano and Burr have done top notch jobs.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015   #30
Starscreamsfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: My house, DUH!!!
Posts: 778
Default Re: 10 Best Voice Directors of All Time

I posted this in my Vintage Marvel Appreciation thread, but I decided to post it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRM-14NvGw

From 10:00 until 13:27, there is some rare footage of a recording session directed by one of my favorite recording directors, Mr. Alan Dinehart.

Hope you enjoy the clip.

Last edited by Starscreamsfan; 03-01-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.