Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 12-15-2015   #51
Domayv

Default Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Who View Post
True indeed in that more uncut dubs exist, although heck, even 4Kids did uncut dubs at one point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LWaEagOA3k
and then 4Kids friggin stopped it cold shortly after, even though uncut dubs are actually less expensive than a cut-and-paste dub
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #52
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
and then 4Kids friggin stopped it cold shortly after, even though uncut dubs are actually less expensive than a cut-and-paste dub
I agree, although it's something, heck, even they had full subbed/Japanese episodes up of their series on Toonzaki back in 2012, which is better than I can say for PUSA/TPCi and Saban (the latter of whose dubs weren't that bad to me despite that, though) at least, who never did that for us fans.

Being uncut isn't everything, either, or Odex and Cloverway would've been as popular as FUNimation, Studiopolis, and Ocean Group, but that's just my two cents.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #53
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

TBF I heard that 4Kids stopped doing uncut releases because they weren't selling well.

Which makes sense since I'd imagine that for a children's anime like Yu-Gi-Oh there's a larger market for a version that appeals to children than one that appeals solely to older viewers. :V

Seriously though, I was reading a forum thread the other day and a bunch of people who were all in their 20s or so were having their minds blown because they had no idea the Shadow Realm was a 4Kids invention.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #54
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
TBF I heard that 4Kids stopped doing uncut releases because they weren't selling well.

Which makes sense since I'd imagine that for a children's anime like Yu-Gi-Oh there's a larger market for a version that appeals to children than one that appeals solely to older viewers. :V

Seriously though, I was reading a forum thread the other day and a bunch of people who were all in their 20s or so were having their minds blown because they had no idea the Shadow Realm was a 4Kids invention.
That is also true.

While I agree, I also feel like something being for children doesn't mean that there shouldn't be effort put into dubbing it as well as possible.

I always knew it was hell, but someone actually told me they thought the Shadow Realm was more frightening, since they'd be sentenced to eternal isolation and all, not even kidding.

Last edited by Dr.Who; 12-15-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2015   #55
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Oh, I wasn't implying that being for children means they shouldn't bother. I was just saying if kids are the target market they're probably less likely to bother tracking down a release meant for more hardcore/older anime fans.

It's been too long since I watched yugioh but I vaguely remember 4Kids managed to work the Shadow Realm into some critical plot arcs. I kinda wonder what it was like originally now that I think of it, but oh well.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #56
Metabad

I actually prefer the Shadow Realm change, myself.

Card games sending you to a magical realm? I can buy that, at least in Yu-Gi-Oh's universe.

Card games outright killing you? Uhhhhhhh...yeah, you lost me.
Old 12-15-2015   #57
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Oh, I wasn't implying that being for children means they shouldn't bother. I was just saying if kids are the target market they're probably less likely to bother tracking down a release meant for more hardcore/older anime fans.

It's been too long since I watched yugioh but I vaguely remember 4Kids managed to work the Shadow Realm into some critical plot arcs. I kinda wonder what it was like originally now that I think of it, but oh well.
Oh, okay, then I fully agree with you, thanks for clarifying that.

From what I can recall Battle City was heavily rewritten by 4Kids, even including that, but what's weird is that 4Kids dubbed the subsequent Orichalcos/DOMA Filler Arc much better, which is surprisingly the same in the Japanese Version, where the player lost their soul forever, etc.
Old 12-16-2015   #58
Autovolt

Yeah the Shadow Realm actually worked really well in this case, one of the few dub add-ons that not only I can buy but I think it works better than death in this case.

It's The only death sub-situation in a children's anime dub I can actually agree with.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015   #59
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Yeah the Shadow Realm actually worked really well in this case, one of the few dub add-ons that not only I can buy but I think it works better than death in this case.

It's The only death sub-situation in a children's anime dub I can actually agree with.
I don't mind when they say "gone" or "passed away" in children's anime dubs myself, either, but while I prefer hell, I also don't mind Shadow Realm since it's still a pretty terrible fate either way.