Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 01-31-2015   #1
BoondocksXAfrofan

Default Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?

please don't kill me for asking,

We all know the dubbing has it flaws but as years went on dubbing as improve didn't it? I mean as of now and it's still improving. But yet some folks still treat it as a taboo thing. Even it if itís not an English dub, it can be a Tagalog, Spanish, French, Italian dub and still get put down rather itís in anime, western cartoons, or in video games. I sometimes still see folks questioning about why it exist even if the dubbing is in their native language. Yes I know no matter how well or bad a dub is there will be people who will oppose it. The one that get to me the most and still do is them knowing that they can views all of these in its original form yet they still complain. Why? Maybe superiority complex or insecurity problem as a fan???? Sometimes I just wish that dubbing was a bit more respected as much as the original. While the original VA will always better most of the time, they can also have flaws as well can they? I mean we all are people right and we sometimes make mistakes so why some canít see theirs just because they are original? I donít know I guess Iím only seeing one side to this and not seeing the other. I donít know why people like me (dub fans/supporter) always get the short end of the stick in terms of opinions or choices when liking the opposite side or even both(Original & Dub).

Overall tell me what do you think? I just feel like people are quick to jump on the dubbing and see it only as bad thing due to its bad rep which I can understand however, some NOT all folks NEVER see the flaws on the other side of the coin. Also itís alright if donít like dubs or do like them. Respect is just needed without belittling the opposing side.

One more question Beside English dubs, name a dub in another language in your opinion that surpasses the original or just as great as the original and why.

P.S. Please no flame wars. let's talk not argue
BoondocksXAfrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #2
electronic456

Default Re: Why some people STILL treat dubbing in general as a bad thing?

To me, dubs depend on the kind of dialogue that is being presented. Usually I prefer animes with Japanese dubs over English because it's how I can take the words spoken seriously.

I have no issue with dubbing as it's just really a thing to get people to understand what's going on. I don't have a single bit of beef to hate that sort of thing.

EDIT: If I had to answer which show has a great dub. I would say Dragon Ball Kai.

Last edited by electronic456; 02-01-2015 at 01:53 AM.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #3
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Part of it, I think, is that people got a bad impression based on some of the really bad dubs from the early days and became closed off to them since.
Another thing I've noticed is that a lot I f 0eople who hate on dubs, especially anime, don't actually understand the original language and so they are unable to pick up any flaws and assume that it's always better. That's just my perspective though.

You ever just... think about life?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #4
Skullgrin140

People can't stand change I guess, that's more than a couple of reasons why people are still hostile towards dubbing.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #5
SupremeTarantulas

Some old thoughts on the matter

Original comment

I'm sick of people saying the original Funimation Dub is just about nostalgia as they say for all other shows. It's the most accurate(especially with Kai) and the voice acting and characterization is great. It's not their fault the got corny lines but they delivered them well regardless. I'm sick of Japanese fans going on Funimation and Falconer music videos and trolling saying that it sucks or the music is terrible you don't like it don't harass the people who do state your point elsewhere.

Reply to a comment regarding sounding more like seiyu's

They are pushing it. English VA's should go for their own thing. Impersonating a seiyu is really hard to do. Copying their performance(or doing something inspired by it) is easier but I still think they should go for whatever voice they choose or think fits. The English version is the English version and the Japanese version is the Japanese version.

That being said I think the main reason is, well at least some comments say this, that they prefer the original Japanese source, and it ,mmay be some dumbs ruined it. 4kids is a good example with it's censoring, and FUNimation with it's original DBZ though I enjoyed the latter. Also some older dubs like Digimon got some hate just cause people hated the English voices, I don't recall exaxtly but there was some seiyu comparisons in there. I liked though, especially the villain voices. Just a few reasons and thoughts on the matter.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #6
GothamRed

Well it's a similar mentality to "things were better back in my day." People like to believe that the version of something they like is the "definitive" version of the thing as disregard all other versions as worse, even if they haven't fully experienced them. Here are some non-dub related examples of what I mean: you know how there are still people who are extremely volatile towards the 2003 and 2012 Ninja Turtles series for the sole reason that they aren't the '87 series (in some cases having never even seen the former 2), or how some Batman fans were unwilling to even watch BTBATB because it wasn't the tone they wanted. There will always be people with the close-minded mentality of "I like this version of a thing, so everyone else should!"

And there's also things like Anglophiles, who believe that everything from England is inherently better than anything anywhere else in extreme cases, And the extreme of the example here, Japanophiles who feel that way about Japanese culture. There's obviously nothing wrong with having an appreciation of a culture outside your own, but many people let the culture dictate whether or not they like something, not the thing itself.

Both of these ideas I've mentioned ("My version is better" and "Location over product") are both factors in this idea that dubs are always bad. There's also the things mentioned above, like the lack-luster dubs of the 80s and 90s, and some people being jaded by some of 4kids practices, that cause people to just hate even the word "dub". This causes can cause them to either completely disregard dubs and just assume they're bad (which is dumb, but since they have nothing to back it up it's easily brushed off) or even worse in my opinion, watch maybe the first episode or so dubbed and go out of their way to find flaws with it (real or perceived) that they then use against the dub as a whole (My least favorite of which being "they sound different" and the various iterations of that. Of course they sound different from the sub THEY'RE SPEAKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!).

In the end there are a number of reasons why people just inherently hate the idea of dubbing something. It's not something that I foresee ever going away, so it's best to just ignore the hype from either side and just form your own opinions of what you watch.
Old 02-01-2015   #7
BoondocksXAfrofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
Well it's a similar mentality to "things were better back in my day." People like to believe that the version of something they like is the "definitive" version of the thing as disregard all other versions as worse, even if they haven't fully experienced them. Here are some non-dub related examples of what I mean: you know how there are still people who are extremely volatile towards the 2003 and 2012 Ninja Turtles series for the sole reason that they aren't the '87 series (in some cases having never even seen the former 2), or how some Batman fans were unwilling to even watch BTBATB because it wasn't the tone they wanted. There will always be people with the close-minded mentality of "I like this version of a thing, so everyone else should!"

And there's also things like Anglophiles, who believe that everything from England is inherently better than anything anywhere else in extreme cases, And the extreme of the example here, Japanophiles who feel that way about Japanese culture. There's obviously nothing wrong with having an appreciation of a culture outside your own, but many people let the culture dictate whether or not they like something, not the thing itself.

Both of these ideas I've mentioned ("My version is better" and "Location over product") are both factors in this idea that dubs are always bad. There's also the things mentioned above, like the lack-luster dubs of the 80s and 90s, and some people being jaded by some of 4kids practices, that cause people to just hate even the word "dub". This causes can cause them to either completely disregard dubs and just assume they're bad (which is dumb, but since they have nothing to back it up it's easily brushed off) or even worse in my opinion, watch maybe the first episode or so dubbed and go out of their way to find flaws with it (real or perceived) that they then use against the dub as a whole (My least favorite of which being "they sound different" and the various iterations of that. Of course they sound different from the sub THEY'RE SPEAKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!).

In the end there are a number of reasons why people just inherently hate the idea of dubbing something. It's not something that I foresee ever going away, so it's best to just ignore the hype from either side and just form your own opinions of what you watch.
I agree especially on the speaking another language comment because those are one of the reason on why I tend to not compare the dub or sub on any anime and most panels i come across on YouTube the anime dub VAs will tell you they most of them time there being told what to do by the directors in the recording process it's not entirely their fault . It's sad that people don't take their time to see how dubbing works instead of being hostile towards it , it's not an easy job and people need to take that into consideration.
Old 02-01-2015   #8
BoondocksXAfrofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Part of it, I think, is that people got a bad impression based on some of the really bad dubs from the early days and became closed off to them since.
Another thing I've noticed is that a lot I f 0eople who hate on dubs, especially anime, don't actually understand the original language and so they are unable to pick up any flaws and assume that it's always better. That's just my perspective though.
While I understand that, that still not a good reason for the sub fans to act so up tight and bitter towards dub or the people who support it just because it's not the original. Plus last time I check, anime in sub while close to it, it isn't completely in it its original format. Overall I'm just saying that watching anime both dub or sub both are still alterations of the anime or foreign media in general in it's original form. However if they want to, the fans can learn the language respectfully and watch anime or any other foreign media raw without being hateful towards the opposite side.
Old 02-01-2015   #9
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

I never said it was a good reason. In fact, I think it's a terrible reason to dislike something. Everything you said is correct, but I think a lot of people don't realize that.

You ever just... think about life?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #10
BoondocksXAfrofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I never said it was a good reason. In fact, I think it's a terrible reason to dislike something. Everything you said is correct, but I think a lot of people don't realize that.
I know you never said that and I'm sorry if you thought I was putting words in your mouth. I was saying that IMHO I saw it as a poor excuse but yeah, that is is indeed a terrible reason to dislike something. It sad that people dislike something that's a part of whats helping the industry. Better yet if want to, instead of have hate towards dubs, if they're in to VAing, they can contribute into helping dubs get better by becoming an actor or scrip writer or that sort of thing. Only if they want to do it. Hell, some Dub VAs were formal dub haters on some panels I saw with them acknowledging how they were and look at them now.