Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 04-20-2016   #111
Music Meister

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

I agree with Tyler, this two parter should have been a three parter. Also Vanessa's acting seemed weird in some spots.
Old 05-07-2016   #112
GothamRed

So I just made my way through the season up to this point, and I gotta say, I digged it for the most part. Marvel's best show right now by a pretty large margin, IMO. The voice acting is solid and the animation is the best it's been in years (especially the way the eyes look).

My main problem though, is Star-Lord. They made he TOO much of an idiot, he's basically Ron Stoppable in space. But while this shtick worked for Ron because he was supposed to be the bumbling sidekick with hidden depth, We have to buy that A) the Guardians would not only put up with Quill on their team, but like him as well and B) that he's the designated leader of the team, and both become hard to believe at times. When they let Star-Lord be clever (like recording Titus and his dad) or serious (Like the fight against J'Son) he's good, but really, him falling easy prey to mind control twice, constantly having him fall over himself, always putting his foot in his mouth, it's really hard to take this guy seriously when we have to. And It's not like I'm against the more comedic take from the movie, but Chris Pratt's version seemed so much more competent than this. He's not a deal breaker, but he has a lot of room for improvement. Rocket can also get grating at time, but he's more or less fine. Drax ended up being my favorite character, he may only be one joke, but the lines they use for that one joke always make me laugh. Gamora and Groot I like fine.

I also like how they try to use as much Marvel cosmic stuff as they can, like Star-Lord's ship (Rora/Aurora) from the original Sta-Lord stories being his dad's ship here, Lunatik, Star-Lord's half sister Victoria, Half-World, it's cool to see stuff from outside the movie universe. One nitpick I have is that they got Ebony Maw and Supergiant's powers wrong even though they got them right on Avengers Assemble, despite her name, Supergiant didn't have size-chaning powers, just telepathy and mind control, and Ebony Maw didn't have pscychic mind-control, just super intelligence and possibly verbal persuasion.

Overall the show is good, it's won't break my Marvel top 5 mind you, even if I limit it to one series per franchise, but I enjoyed watching it and I look forward to the last 7 episodes of the season.
Old 06-30-2016   #113
Music Meister

This episode was pretty cool, I like the idea of Gamora fighting different oppoents in different types of arenas. In also like that with Guardians we see a bunch of different character designs.
Old 07-05-2016   #114
Music Meister

Drax asks if Black Bolt is opening his mouth.
His mouth is not open.
Rocket yells that Black Bolt is opening his mouth but doesn't until after Rocket talks.
Great job from the animation department :/

Was it really that hard to get Fred to come back as Karnack? I can understand some of the others but Fred was probably doing Hulk for them at one point. Also, they got Nolan North back as Gorgon? This show is so random on who is and who isn't reprising.

I get there should be conflict but no way Quill is that dumb to not only want to free Maximus but also be manipulated by him.

Did Karnack always have that energy power?

I don't think Diedrich really works as Maximus but man does he have a great cackle.

Quill knew he needed to go to Earth before all this so why do this "Maximus put the coordinates for Earth to make honest in the deal" when it doesn't make sense for the character?

This episode's name references Human Torch yet we don't get an actual Human Torch appearance or references?
Old 07-05-2016   #115
GothamRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
Was it really that hard to get Fred to come back as Karnack? I can understand some of the others but Fred was probably doing Hulk for them at one point. Also, they got Nolan North back as Gorgon? This show is so random on who is and who isn't reprising.
This series takes place in it's own continuity, I think we need to accept this. I mean it's dumb that they made the guardians look like they do here on AA, but this show seems to have more creative freedom than the others with how they use the characters. Voices and all. Sometimes they keep the voices (like Gorgon and Thor) and sometimes they don't (like Medusa and Karnak).

Quote:
I get there should be conflict but no way Quill is that dumb to not only want to free Maximus but also be manipulated by him.
Yeah, I mentioned this before, Quill's character on this show is the weakest part. They've downgraded him to "too dumb to live" category. I don't get why, seeing as the movie version, though not a competent as the comic version, was pretty savvy.

Quote:
Did Karnack always have that energy power?
Yeah, I was confused by this too, but since I'm pretty sure this only happened once so I guess we can assume that hitting the weak point cause the ship to snort out.

Quote:
Quill knew he needed to go to Earth before all this so why do this "Maximus put the coordinates for Earth to make honest in the deal" when it doesn't make sense for the character?
The implication might be that if he has gotten away from black bolt, he would have gone and gotten the seed for himself, but when black bolt and quill showed up, he decided to kill them all. Setting the coordinates for Earth was probably meant to mean that A) the vision was true and B) giving them an exactly location to go to other than the whole planet Earth.

Quote:
This episode's name references Human Torch yet we don't get an actual Human Torch appearance or references?
I think it's a reference to Bruce Springsteen's album "Human Touch". Going with the music reference titles.

As for my thoughts on the episode, while I already stated my dislike of Quill in it, it's okay, it's nice to see the other Inhumans outside of Medusa and Black Bolt actually doing something. This is probably the best representation of Crystal's powers outside of the comics so far (since in all her other animated appearances she's the naive one who know's nothing of the world or how to use her powers fully yet, so having her at a later stage of development is nice.) That being said, the character representation was off on Crystal and Medusa, because while they still talked they should, it feels like they switched personalities. Medusa is way too understanding of Quill and Crystal is way too stand-offish. I get that he won't stop hitting on her despite her clearly not being interested, but she never tells him that and just ops to immediately start using her powers on him, something I'd expect Medusa to do. She even does it while moderately leading him on too, like rubbing his chest before wind blasting him, or coyly smiling as she talks his number, then burning it, like she just enjoys causing him pain, not very Crystally. In fact that coy smile is one of the few times Crystal shows any emotion other than pissed-off, again I get that Quill is flirting too much, but still it doesn't give Crystal a good first impression because of it. And on that character note, Gamora and Rocket are overly jerkish to Peter for really no adequately explained reason. Outside of his idiotic move with Maximus and his constant flirting, Quill was actually pretty reasonable in his actions, meeting in a place that won't be followed, having a solid plan for stopping Maximus, but Rocket and Gamora decide to chew him out while he's trying to fix his mess because "he said he's not their leader" and "he dragged them to this awful part of space" (even though it barely look any worse than any other place they've been so far and going to a place no one would follow to meet is actually a good plan). Not the best episode by any means, but it had some upsides, Karnak, Black Bolt, and Drax were fine and it was nice to see the other Inhumans in action this time, even if half of it was mind controlled against the guardians.
Old 07-07-2016   #116
Polyester Funk

I too thought that Quill was really stupid for freeing Maximus, yet now that I think about it he needed the official confirmation that the Seed was on Earth. He didn't know if his visions were true, yet he believed that Maximus did actually know where the Seed was and he need Maximus to tell/show him where.

The depiction of Quill on this series is weird; he comes across as a complete buffoon most of the time, but moments like this show that he's really smart despite some stupid things that he does. There's a method to his madness so to speak.

I'm convinced that this is in its own separate continuity and not affiliated with any of the other shows. They'll use the same designs for the sake of consistency(so kids won't be confused as to who the characters are even if they are different versions?) and sometimes use the same voices and sometimes don't. That must just be a personal preference to certain actors or something.

Now that I've said that the next episode or two with them going to Earth will now explicitly state that this takes place in the same continuity as the other programs.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #117
Music Meister

This episode was alright, nothing much to really say. Though I think it's cool Eric is getting more voice work outside of We Bare Bears.
Old 07-18-2016   #118
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Stop. Mentioning. The Dance-Off.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #119
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

So, uh, Thanos lands on Earth, and the Guardians follow him to New York City. Thanos does his evil-overlord-thing and has giant plants and vines and is doing all of this destructive junk in the middle of Central Park. The GotG and the Dark Aster are flying around, trying to stop him and stuff.
But I guess the Avengers had the day off.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #120
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
So, uh, Thanos lands on Earth, and the Guardians follow him to New York City. Thanos does his evil-overlord-thing and has giant plants and vines and is doing all of this destructive junk in the middle of Central Park. The GotG and the Dark Aster are flying around, trying to stop him and stuff.
But I guess the Avengers had the day off.

I get what you mean, but this is the Guardian's series, having the Avengers appear would steal their thunder. Plus, the Avengers fought Thanos already on their own series, it's the Guardians time to fight him now.

Last edited by Polyester Funk; 07-25-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote