Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 03-02-2018   #1
Autovolt

Default Was there really a 1986 dub of Night on the Galactic Railroad?

I'm browsing ANN and I see this when I'm on that page, that there was apparently a dub made back in the 80's before the NYAV Post it got that's well known?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...nime.php?id=51

I've never heard of this before, is this actually or is it false information? There's no info on this 80's dub at all and the cast is a pretty unconventional voice cast.

Charlie Adler as Campanella
David Mendenhall as Giovanni

Arthur Burghardt as Wireless Operator
Candy Candido as Birdcatcher
Charles Fleischer as Zanelli
Katie Leigh as Kaoru
Tony Anselmo as Young Man

Bob Arbogast
Catherine Cavadini
David McCharen
Deborah Fallender
Greg Finley
Hal Smith
Jan Rabson
Kenneth Mars
Marilyn Schreffler
Mitch Carter
Pat Fraley
Wayne Allwine

It's strange seeing a lot of Disney regulars and other VA's from that time period in an anime dub. Can anyone confirm if this actually exists or not, it's sounds unbelievable to me.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018   #2
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Was there really a 1986 dub of Night on the Galactic Railroad?

Not familiar with this film, but I did some quick looking around. Two things.

1. Central Park Media made the dub, not NYAV.

2. I can't find any mention of this 86 dub outside of the cast list on ANN. Even on there the only home video releases listed are in the 2000s. I'm going with the assumption this cast is fake.
Old 03-02-2018   #3
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

This feels like Ed Flanders/Stephen Keener all over again.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018   #4
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Not familiar with this film, but I did some quick looking around. Two things.

1. Central Park Media made the dub, not NYAV.

2. I can't find any mention of this 86 dub outside of the cast list on ANN. Even on there the only home video releases listed are in the 2000s. I'm going with the assumption this cast is fake.
Yeah I figured as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
This feels like Ed Flanders/Stephen Keener all over again.
It still makes me sad that was debunked, it would've been cool if that had been the case.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018   #5
rosebr10

If you hover over these supposed casted actors (whose first and only entries were made for that anime), you'll see that a good chunk of them have their IDs in the 160000s, which is what some of the most recent entries on ANN have been. Some like Kenneth Mars (147734) are lower, implying that they were originally added a few years earlier as is, or the original entry was struck down for being added under false pretenses, and the name was resurrected here.

Wayne Allwine (one of these recent entries) was also added for Tottoi. He was added with Corey Burton (as opposed to Christine Cavanaugh, Gregg Berger and Scott Menville [for "Secret of the Seal"]). EDIT: There's also Candy Candido, who was also added for The Mouse and His Child.

The sources for the lot are also of no help, being either "Night of the Galactic Railroad" or "Night of the Galactic Railroad (1985)" [and "Tottoi" for Tottoi in the case of Allwine and Burton]. Oh! And the source of the release date? "February 7, 1986." Wow. (Well at least they didn't fabricate fake evidence)

Hopefully this reaches the eyes and ears of someone more in tune with this older stuff with the resources, know-how and real life experience who can very soundly and definitively strike this down if need be.

Last edited by rosebr10; 03-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018   #6
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
If you hover over these supposed casted actors (whose first and only entries were made for that anime), you'll see that a good chunk of them have their IDs in the 160000s, which is what some of the most recent entries on ANN have been. Some like Kenneth Mars (147734) are lower, implying that they were originally added a few years earlier as is, or the original entry was struck down for being added under false pretenses, and the name was resurrected here.

Wayne Allwine (one of these recent entries) was also added for Tottoi. He was added with Corey Burton (as opposed to Christine Cavanaugh, Gregg Berger and Scott Menville [for "Secret of the Seal"])

The sources for the lot are also of no help, being either "Night of the Galactic Railroad" or Night of the Galactic Railroad (1985)" [and "Tottoi" for Tottoi in the case of Allwine and Burton]. Oh! And the source of the release date? "February 7, 1986." Wow. (Well at least they didn't fabricate fake evidence)

Hopefully this reaches the eyes and ears of someone more in tune with this older stuff with the resources, know-how and real life experience who can very soundly and definitively strike this down if need be.
Yeah; I've encountered the guy who does these made-up cast lists before on ANN. I know because all he ever puts for the source is the title of the entry. This guy's full of it; ANN should just straight-up ban him.

He tried posting a bunch of LA actors for the Hong Kong-dubbed "Locke the Superman". Even more laughable is him claiming it was directed by Wally Burr; who we all know was a stringent perfectionist. "Akira" may have shown that he wasn't as well a fit for anime dubbing as pre-lay, but he still wouldn't have directed something that sounds like this.
whyofbladez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018   #7
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
Yeah; I've encountered the guy who does these made-up cast lists before on ANN. I know because all he ever puts for the source is the title of the entry. This guy's full of it; ANN should just straight-up ban him.

He tried posting a bunch of LA actors for the Hong Kong-dubbed "Locke the Superman". Even more laughable is him claiming it was directed by Wally Burr; who we all know was a stringent perfectionist. "Akira" may have shown that he wasn't as well a fit for anime dubbing as pre-lay, but he still wouldn't have directed something that sounds like this.
Not to get too off topic but that definitely sounds more like a Hong Kong dub, I swear I can hear Simon Broad at 0:24 - 0:29, 0:49 - 0:51, 1:00 - 1:07, and 1:18 - 1:23

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S GONNA TAKE A FALL, COME AT ME, DUDE!"
Metabad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018   #8
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabad View Post
Not to get too off topic but that definitely sounds more like a Hong Kong dub, I swear I can hear Simon Broad at 0:24 - 0:29, 0:49 - 0:51, 1:00 - 1:07, and 1:18 - 1:23
Definitely. The lady at 0:08 I'm pretty sure is Headmasters Arcee too.

But yeah, wow. Someone trying to pass that off as Wally Burr's work is shameful. As whyofbladez points out the Akira's dub isn't exactly gold, but it's not THAT.
Old 03-04-2018   #9
IMB
Junior Contributor

There are lots of weirdos on the internet making up random things. I don't know if it's because they can't tell their daydreams from reality, or if they're just trolls trying to confuse people. I'm obviously not talking about honest mistakes here.
IMB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018   #10
Metabad

To get a little more back on topic, (though I'm not sure if much more can be said about the topic that hasn't already been said, considering it's debunked and all) while I doubt the 1986 dub of this is real, it would've really been nice to hear Jan Rabson in another anime outside of Akira and G-Force.

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S GONNA TAKE A FALL, COME AT ME, DUDE!"
Metabad is offline   Reply With Quote