Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 07-27-2014   #31
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: "Justice League"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
Wish the outfit was a little less...sslutty I guess the term is. I was hoping that recent Wonder Woman would have less revealing all things considered.
Ha ha, this is tame sauce, MM. All things considered, it could've been much more slutty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
1. Don't like the color (or rather, the lack thereof)
This is probably the biggest (and only issue of mine, so far) that I can think of. The drab, sepia filter of colour for SUPER GRITTY 300 SERIOUSNESS LEVEL BRO. I'm willing to forgive the more muted colours of the outfit itself, but the image overall just says "This is from 300 guise".

Quote:
2. Why is she wearing heels?
Why not? Wonder Woman's design oft incorporates heels. It's not like it's a new feature of her design.

Plus, same reason why RDJ sports lifted shoes on set. So that a slightly shorter actor won't seem as short when compared to his monstrously sized co-stars.

Quote:
3. (this also applies for other modern incarnations of WW) Why the hell does she have a sword? She doesn't need a ####ing sword, she's WONDER WOMAN.
Because metal bracelets and a lasso of truth don't quite have the same effect in battle as a sword?

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
She's used swords, shields, spears, and various other weapons of that type for a long time now in the comics. She was trained from pretty much birth in how to use them in addition to hand-to-hand combat. That's just the Amazon fighting style.
^This guy gets it.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #32
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Personally I'd rather not have us going around calling women's outfits "slutty".
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #33
VctrBnsn

The costume is about what I expected, and to be honest, kind of hoped for. I'm really glad they ditched the red white and blue, seeing how that would be very hard to explain in a modern movie. I'm also glad she has a sword, and I hope she has a shield as well. Those elements were what I really liked about the Injustice WW.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #34
PsychicVoiceSpy

Well, I think her skirt thing is a just a little too short and kind of weird looking for battle attire and the fact that the costume is so limited in color, black and a sort of dark bronze, is pretty disappointing. The pattern on it looks kinda nice, but with such boring color the character doesn't have a very distinct look at all. It looks Nolan-Snyder-ized, I guess.

I don't remember seeing Gal Gadot in anything before, but I hope she'll give a very memorable and compelling performance... which might be kind of tricky considering the kind of predictable SUPER-DARK-'N'-GRITTY-HOLY-CRUD-SO-EDGY!!! script she might be working with.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #35
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Personally I'd rather not have us going around calling women's outfits "slutty".
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Why not? Wonder Woman's design oft incorporates heels. It's not like it's a new feature of her design.

Plus, same reason why RDJ sports lifted shoes on set. So that a slightly shorter actor won't seem as short when compared to his monstrously sized co-stars.

Because metal bracelets and a lasso of truth don't quite have the same effect in battle as a sword?
And lots of other characters. There's even a trope of it. And it makes no **** sense. I haven't worn heels personally (LOL), but I'd imagine they're pretty hard to walk in, let alone fight in. And while she does fly, I doubt she'll be in flight 100% of the time.

In-universe, though, RDJ/Tony (line blurring between the two LOL) doesn't wear heels. And even if he did, he isn't doing action sequences in them.

Um, Wonder Woman has super strength, and that lasso is a strong-*** lasso (magic aside), she doesn't need a sword to be effective in battle. It just comes across as unnecessary to me. I know she's a warrior and all, but it seems like they're bringing more of her warrior side at the expense of her superhero side. The only way I would be okay with that is if the movie ends with her beating the #### out of Superman and Batman, but I doubt that'll happen.

On the bright side, at least Zack Snyder didn't come out and say, "We're trying to not make her a feminist symbol"!
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #36
GothamRed

Quote:
...she doesn't need a sword to be effective in battle. It just comes across as unnecessary to me. I know she's a warrior and all, but it seems like they're bringing more of her warrior side at the expense of her superhero side.
Thor has Super Strength and he uses a weapon in battle and no one questions his hero status for it. If it makes you a more effective fighter then why no press your advantage, especially if your opponent has super strength as well. Using a sword doesn't make you less of a hero, she uses both it's part of her character.
Old 07-27-2014   #37
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
And lots of other characters. There's even a trope of it. And it makes no **** sense. I haven't worn heels personally (LOL), but I'd imagine they're pretty hard to walk in, let alone fight in. And while she does fly, I doubt she'll be in flight 100% of the time.
So you take issue with the concept of "women sporting high-heels in high-octane, action-oriented and adventurous scenarios" as a whole, rather than the this particular example specifically. Gotcha'. That's cool. (And completely understandable)

What I (mistakenly) gleaned from your original statement was a belief that you were baffled by this example, as if it were the only occurrence of a WW in heels.

Quote:
In-universe, though, RDJ/Tony (line blurring between the two LOL) doesn't wear heels. And even if he did, he isn't doing action sequences in them.
You're right, in universe he doesn't...because his character is just as tall as the others. But the actor isn't. And that's why they gave the actor, RDJ, that extra boost. So Stark, the character, doesn't appear to be too short compared to the others. Because sometimes you have to do certain things from the production-side of a project to achieve a certain result in the narrative side.

The thing people always seem to forget is that decisions in media production have two basic sides that influence choices - creative and logistical. The story matters, but so do the logistics of making that story possible. It's never just a matter of "Let's make the costume blue!", "Let's have the robot do X!", "Let's have a scene take place Y!", "Let's have WW be taller!". There are people who have to sit there and say "Can we make it blue?", "Why does the robot do X?", "Is it possible to film a place Y?", "How can we make her taller?" Those two sides, the narrative and the product, have to work together. The story has to make sense, but they also have to have explanations and reasons for the characters, designs, events, etc in the story that can be achieved in the real world for the real people working on it.. Sometimes those two sides conflict, sometimes one takes precedence over the other. The creative heads of the movies (read: NOT US) obviously decided that, for various reasons that they deemed adequate, heels are a-go.

They didn't just say "Let's have her wear heels because she's a girl". Heels, besides being commonplace in a WW design, are a practical choice to get a 5'10" actress to look a little more imposing when standing next to her 6'1" and 6'3" absolutely jacked co-stars. And just because they're heels doesn't mean that they're flimsy heels that'll snap the moment she steps on a rock. She's got a breastplate and steel bracelets from an Amazonian magic island. It's safe to assume that her heels are going to be able to handle some tough times.

Quote:
Um, Wonder Woman has super strength, and that lasso is a strong-*** lasso (magic aside), she doesn't need a sword to be effective in battle. It just comes across as unnecessary to me. I know she's a warrior and all, but it seems like they're bringing more of her warrior side at the expense of her superhero side.
Those two "sides" of her - or any character - aren't mutually exclusive. You can be both. She can still be portrayed as a warrior and a superhero. Having a sword doesn't suddenly nullify her "I'm a magical superhero"-angle.

As Gotham pointed out, Thor has a hammer. People aren't clamouring that he isn't a superhero because of this. Exact same situation as WW here. Hercules has a mace, Hawkeye has arrows, Cap has a shield. Baron Zemo wields a sword, Elektra has those sai, Deadpool has swords, Kraven has a whip. They're tools. They're devices. They're objects that help showcase said characters skills and powers. Which is what WW's bracelets, whip and sword do. She has super strength, you're right. And you know what's one way they can showcase her super strength and super battle skills? By wielding a [email protected]$$ sword with expert precision and speed while doing great damage to her foes with it. Or deflecting bullets with her bracelets. Or by using a magical whip to...I dunno...slice a tank in half or something. You may not think she needs a sword in battle, but that doesn't mean she (or the people actually in charge of this) feel the same way.

An Amazonian warrior goddess from an Amazonian warrior clan of all-females who spend their days training in battle? I fail to see how a sword is anything but fitting.

Quote:
...the movie ends with her beating the #### out of Superman and Batman, but I doubt that'll happen.
I really, really wish that's how the movie would end.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #38
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Those two "sides" of her - or any character - aren't mutually exclusive. You can be both. She can still be portrayed as a warrior and a superhero. Having a sword doesn't suddenly nullify her "I'm a magical superhero"-angle.

As Gotham pointed out, Thor has a hammer. People aren't clamouring that he isn't a superhero because of this. Exact same situation as WW here. Hercules has a mace, Hawkeye has arrows, Cap has a shield. Baron Zemo wields a sword, Elektra has those sai, Deadpool has swords, Kraven has a whip. They're tools. They're devices. They're objects that help showcase said characters skills and powers. Which is what WW's bracelets, whip and sword do. She has super strength, you're right. And you know what's one way they can showcase her super strength and super battle skills? By wielding a [email protected]$$ sword with expert precision and speed while doing great damage to her foes with it. Or deflecting bullets with her bracelets. Or by using a magical whip to...I dunno...slice a tank in half or something. You may not think she needs a sword in battle, but that doesn't mean she (or the people actually in charge of this) feel the same way.

An Amazonian warrior goddess from an Amazonian warrior clan of all-females who spend their days training in battle? I fail to see how a sword is anything but fitting.
It's a matter of between the two sides. Considering this is Zack Snyder, I have a feeling there superhero side will be downplayed.

I get what you're trying to say, but those aren't the best examples IMO.

Thor - it's a magic hammer and the source of his lightning/thunder control, and I'm pretty sure Thor's not as strong as WW

Cap - definitely not as strong as WW, and the shield, while not magic per se, has special properties

IDK about Hercules, but I don't think he's as strong as WW

The rest are normals and baddies/antiheroes, they're not supposed to be heroic.

At first I thought you forgot WW's super strength, since you only listed the lasso and bracelets as her fighting assets.

By "she", you mean Snyder and co.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #39
GothamRed

Quote:

Thor - it's a magic hammer and the source of his lightning/thunder control, and I'm pretty sure Thor's not as strong as WW

IDK about Hercules, but I don't think he's as strong as WW
Both Thor and Hercules (marvel's hercules, anyway) are physically stronger than Wonder Woman (Hercules being the stronger of the two). Wonder Woman strength tends to get overestimated, it's not too much less than those 2 (probably very close to thor's), but it is less to an extent, at least from what it seems (since thor is able to casually fly through a star and hercules can restrain thor almost completely).
Old 07-29-2014   #40
GothamRed

Evidently this is the gal gadot image without the filter on it, so I does have the colors it seems.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...19525456_n.jpg

(linked it, the image was big)