Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 05-26-2014   #101
VctrBnsn

Default Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
Apocalypse is gonna be with the past X-Men, not the original/future cast.

But yeah, can't wait for Fassy to kick Poccy's butt.
Still excited.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #102
GothamRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VctrBnsn View Post
I really enjoyed this film. The best X Men movie so far. The thing I love most about it though is that it was basically a big reset button, so we can finally start from scratch again without worrying about continuity. Plus, with Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Kitty, Iceman, Rogue, and Colossus all together again, we can finally have an X-Men movie that feels like an actual X-Men movie. Here's hoping for Apocalypse.
It's not clear if they're going to follow the future X-Men again. Especially since Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart getting up there in age (they've both even said that they never expected to be brought back for the roles after McAvoy and Fassbender took over). I'd love to see them again since I do really like the original cast and the characters they chose more than who they've been putting in the prequels (the characters not the actors), I just wouldn't be surprised if this may be the last time we see them an this is just their "happy ending."

On a completely unrelated note to that (and spoilers for those who haven't seen it) it kind of sucks that Banshee, Emma Frost, and Azazel were all killed off-screen between movies. Also in Banshee's case (since this happened before the timeline would have changed) it kind of makes it confusing his his daughter was in X2 and Last Stand since she seemed a bit young to have been born in the '70s. Though if Azazel's dead I guess that means Kurt's already born in the past timeline, so if they jump to the '80s for Apocalypse they can have an adolescent Nightcrawler.
Old 05-26-2014   #103
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
It's not clear if they're going to follow the future X-Men again. Especially since Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart getting up there in age (they've both even said that they never expected to be brought back for the roles after McAvoy and Fassbender took over). I'd love to see them again since I do really like the original cast and the characters they chose more than who they've been putting in the prequels (the characters not the actors), I just wouldn't be surprised if this may be the last time we see them an this is just their "happy ending."

On a completely unrelated note to that (and spoilers for those who haven't seen it) it kind of sucks that Banshee, Emma Frost, and Azazel were all killed off-screen between movies. Also in Banshee's case (since this happened before the timeline would have changed) it kind of makes it confusing his his daughter was in X2 and Last Stand since she seemed a bit young to have been born in the '70s. Though if Azazel's dead I guess that means Kurt's already born in the past timeline, so if they just to the '80s for Apocalypse they can have an adolescent Nightcrawler.
They technically never established in the movie that Siryn was Banshee's daughter, or that Nightcrawler was Azazel's son.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #104
GothamRed

Quote:
They technically never established in the movie that Siryn was Banshee's daughter, or that Nightcrawler was Azazel's son.
They implied the latter by making Azazel look a bit more like Nightcrawler here than in the comics and giving him the same teleporting effect and sound from X2, and it's not really beyond the realms of believability that Kurt was in his 30s in X2. But either way there was no point in killing them off off-screen. They could have just left their groups for one reason or another (mean Azazel is kind of a demon I can't imagine he'd be that loyal).
Old 05-26-2014   #105
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
They could have just left their groups for one reason or another (mean Azazel is kind of a demon I can't imagine he'd be that loyal).
Oi. He just looks like a demon, that doesn't mean he actually is one. You homo-sapiens and your superficiality...
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #106
GothamRed

Quote:
Oi. He just looks like a demon, that doesn't mean he actually is one. You homo-sapiens and your superficiality...
I said "kind of", he's from the Neyaphem, which true are only described as "demonic looking" but from what I've seen of him in the comics he still acts like the traditional idea of a demon.

Last edited by GothamRed; 05-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.
GothamRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #107
Ross123

It seems I may have to the film again at some point since my Dad & Sister want to see it. Yeah, it was amazing but is it really worth watching again so soon. Eh, can't say NO to a movie that awesome but I suppose it might be more fun than just being stuck with my mother the first time. Yeah, my family likes the X Men films would you believe it.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #108
The Doctor

Just saw this movie and... it was alright.

I really don't understand why (always so trustworthy) internet has declared this as good as (or even better than) The Avengers, since IMO this wasn't even the best X-Men movie (that price still goes easily to First Class).

There was a lot of time wasted on standing around and talking, and payoff (emotionally and physically) didn't felt truly worth it. In the action side of things, almost nothing was new or interesting to look at. It's starting to feel like that all the action in X-Men movies is becoming been-there-done-that. I have to admit that Quicksilver (althought I still believe that he was added to the movie just to show Whedon/Marvel middle finger) and Blink (who should have had her own spotlight moment) were saving graces of the movie in that regard.

There was also a lot of laziness and wasted potential in the script. Kitty can move people back in time only because the script says so, Patrick Stewart and (especially) Ian McKellen did pretty much nothing, but just stand in the backround, and the final showdown between Future X-Men and Setinels (the scene that I was the most excited about) was way too short. Also, I get that they had to make Future-Sentinels as invincible as possible, so the future would look hopeless, but why none of the Future X-Men tried to change opponents with each other while fighting? You know, to strike them while they were still using wrong counter-power. The oldest trick in the book for fighting against adapting enemy.

It is also kinda irritating how the movie, that was advertised as the movie that will fix all the continuity-errors, had some of the biggest continuity-errors in the whole series. Most of the errors from previous movies could be handwaved away, but how on earth do you explain how in Origins Wolverine was in Vietnam with Sabertooth, while in this movie he wasn't even close to Vietnam, or how Stryker in this movie is not even half of Danny Huston's (who BTW. should have been asked to reprise the role) age? Also, Am I only one who feels little sorry for James Mangold? He directed a movie that was pretty good (if little stale in some places) and he clearly had some kind of vision about the possible sequels. Now, not only is the DOFP - teaser at the end of his movie forcing all the future stories to lead-up to certain point, but his barely a year old movie isn't even part of canon anymore.

OK, this text is getting little bit too negative, so let's get some good stuff out of the way. All the performances were excellent and Peter Dinklage was a welcome addition to the cast (I have been big fan of his ever since I started to watch Game of Thrones). While I'm no gorehound, it was kinda cool how this movie pushed what you are allowed to do with PG-13 rating to its very limits. Dead bodies were pile-up with bulldosers and characters were killed in very gruesome ways (which was probably allowed, because the victims weren't flesh and blood when they were killed). I also really liked how the climax of the story wasn't resolved by big action scene, but by character deciding not to shoot someone. There were also other great character moments and even with all my gripes with this movie, I never felt that it was as bad as X3 or other infamous comic book movies.

I think that the biggest reason why this movie didn't make as big of an impact on me as to everyone else, is because Marvel Studios has spoiled me. Marvel has pretty much reinvented comic book movies by pushing foward what general audience is ready to accept. Characters are allowed to wear they costumes from the comics (with some updates) and even the most ridiculous concepts (Zola's current form and Guardians of the Galaxy as a whole anyone?) are brought to life. Singer still seems to live in time when superhero movies were a general laughingstock and you had to hide the goofiness of the characters by a generic biker gang clothing. The end result is by no means a bad movie, but you are left with taste of vanilla in your mouth. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, if you still didn't remember the taste of chocolate.

Close, but no cigar.

Last edited by The Doctor; 06-22-2014 at 01:56 AM.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #109
GothamRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
It is also kinda irritating how the movie, that was advertised as the movie that will fix all the continuity-errors, had some of the biggest continuity-errors in the whole series. Most of the errors from previous movies could be handwaved away, but how on earth do you explain how in Origins Wolverine was in Vietnam with Sabertooth, while in this movie he wasn't even close to Vietnam, or how Stryker in this movie is not even half of Danny Huston's (who BTW. should have been asked to reprise the role) age? Also, Am I only one who feels little sorry for James Mangold? He directed a movie that was pretty good (if little stale in some places) and he clearly had some kind of vision about the possible sequels. Now, not only is the DOFP - teaser at the end of his movie forcing all the future stories to lead-up to certain point, but his barely a year old movie isn't even part of canon anymore.
The studio stated that Origins didn't happen regardless of the events of this movie. A quote from one of the producers of the series regarding Last Stand and Origins basically boiled down to this: Last Stand happened in the old universe but not the new one and Origins isn't canon to either. Granted that point gets kind of undercut when they show clips from Origins in DoFP, but so far as the studio (and a large chunk of the fanbase) disregarding Origins in this movie wasn't an oversight, it was deliberate.
Old 06-22-2014   #110
Blair

Quote:
and (drumroll) Cyclops and Jean Grey! YES! Suck it, Brett Ratner!
LOL Although not in that way, that is the same thought I had right as the scene began, "PleaseBeJeanAndScott! PleaseBeJeanAndScott! PleaseBeJeanAndScott!"

I also have never seen so many people stay to see a mid-credit/post-credit scene before. Out of the 50 of us, only two groups left: one with a baby and the other with two kids who were begging to stay.

I would not call it best of the series as I had several issues as well (have never read the comic book version,) but I loved the many layers of Mystique's personality and inner struggles, and the portrayal of the already well-established main character's personalities.

Last edited by Blair; 06-22-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote