Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 05-20-2014   #1
DaveS

Default Overrated or misinterpreted impersonations?

Ever hear an impersonation of a celebrity and think. "That sounds nothing like them?"
For me, the standard Robin Williams impression is one (they just go high pitched and talk quickly) and Maurice LaMarche doing Orson Welles which to me sounds nothing like him yet always gets plaudits. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #2
VctrBnsn

Default Re: Overrated or misinterpreted impersonations?

Well, Maurice LaMarche sounds very much like a younger Orsen Welles on the radio, but Orsen never sounded quite like that in his film roles, especially later on.

Robin Williams is a hard act to follow, but the best impressionist for him has to be Jim Meskimen, but I've seen he can only really do a calmer Robin, and can't go super crazy with the voice.

Jim, however, is a master celebrity impersonator, and you should check out some of his Youtube vids.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #3
Autovolt

Maurice LaMarche's best impersonation is that of the late Harold Ramis.

Also Corey Burton and Christopher Lee and to some extent David Kaye and Patrick Stewart and Dwight Schultz and Ian McKellan are also really well done impressions.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #4
Polyester Funk

Yeah, when I first heard Maurice LaMarche as Orson Welles I thought his voice was way to high and didn't sound much like him, but my experience with Welles is mostly as Unicron and some other stuff. When I heard Welles in his younger days it made sense.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #5
Music Meister

Tom Kane's "spot on" Sir Ian McKellen Magneto impression, on top of not being that great of a Magneto voice he barley sounds Sir Ian but everyone loves how much he reminds them of Sir Ian as Magneto.
Old 05-21-2014   #6
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
Tom Kane's "spot on" Sir Ian McKellen Magneto impression, on top of not being that great of a Magneto voice he barley sounds Sir Ian but everyone loves how much he reminds them of Sir Ian as Magneto.
Funnily enough I thought his Gandalf in the non movie based Fellowship of the Ring game sounded a fair bit like Sir Ian (though not spot on by any means) even though it wasnt meant to.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #7
GothamRed

For me it's Troy Baker's Joker, sure he sounds like Mark at times but most of the time he just sounds like Troy Baker doing a sort of raspy voice it it usually sounds kind of forced. Sorry Troy Joker fans.
Old 05-21-2014   #8
Music Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
For me it's Troy Baker's Joker, sure he sounds like Mark at times but most of the time he just sounds like Troy Baker doing a sort of raspy voice it it usually sounds kind of forced. Sorry Troy Joker fans.
I agree, I never got the appeal of Troy's Joker. He doesn't even make my top five Joker voices
Old 05-21-2014   #9
PsychicVoiceSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
I agree, I never got the appeal of Troy's Joker. He doesn't even make my top five Joker voices
I gave Troy a warm reception on the voice compare page, but I was actually exaggerating my praise for him because I was honestly a little nervous of heavily criticizing it on here, taking into account how many people have shown themselves to be wildly enthusiastic for it. ...Here's the truth of my opinion on his Joker.

I don't think it sounds spectacular as a Mark Hamill impression, or a great Joker voice on it's own merits. I've seen so many people talk like he's this perfect Hamill imitation or even better than Mark, but no, I'm sorry, I just don't hear it. The voice sounds forced, the rasp sounds really fake at times and his throat often sounds very constricted. He doesn't have nearly the range of inflection or natural versatility with the voice Mark does, and his giggles... good grief does he fails at doing the manic giggles that Mark is so good at. It's almost like there's no real life in them. With Troy's Joker, his acting is pretty good (if only a lot less energetic and fun), but the voice... I don't hear the Joker's voice, I hear a relatively forced impersonation.

I have a feeling the casting directors decided to cast him, at least in part, not because he did the best young-sounding Hamill-ish Joker they could find, but because he's so wildly popular and marketable in the industry right now. I think he's decent as the Joker, and I do genuinely like the moments when his voice gets really low and intimidating, but he doesn't offer enough to the role or pull off the voice well enough to convince me it's spectacular or even great. Just good...ish. I do respect Troy for being able to do it as well as he does, but I honestly wish they had cast someone else.

Last edited by PsychicVoiceSpy; 05-21-2014 at 10:38 AM.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #10
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicVoiceSpy View Post
I gave Troy a warm reception on the voice compare page, but I was actually exaggerating my praise for him because I was honestly a little nervous of heavily criticizing it on here, taking into account how many people have shown themselves to be wildly enthusiastic for it. ...Here's the truth of my opinion on his Joker.

I don't think it sounds spectacular as a Mark Hamill impression, or a great Joker voice on it's own merits. I've seen so many people talk like he's this perfect Hamill imitation or even better than Mark, but no, I'm sorry, I just don't hear it. The voice sounds forced, the rasp sounds really fake at times and his throat often sounds very constricted. He doesn't have nearly the range of inflection or natural versatility with the voice Mark does, and his giggles... good grief does he fails at doing the manic giggles that Mark is so good at. It's almost like there's no real life in them. With Troy's Joker, his acting is pretty good (if only a lot less energetic and fun), but the voice... I don't hear the Joker's voice, I hear a relatively forced impersonation.

I have a feeling the casting directors decided to cast him, at least in part, not because he did the best young-sounding Hamill-ish Joker they could find, but because he's so wildly popular and marketable in the industry right now. I think he's decent as the Joker, and I do genuinely like the moments when his voice gets really low and intimidating, but he doesn't offer enough to the role or pull off the voice well enough to convince me it's spectacular or even great. Just good...ish. I do respect Troy for being able to do it as well as he does, but I honestly wish they had cast someone else.
I think it's because he wanted to do it, due to being a fan of TAS and Hamill's Joker and then showed off his best Hamill impression, and they were like WOAH, OMG, HOLY CRAP, etc. It was just what they needed. Though not to insult Troy, I've seen equally as great impressions on Youtube, and I'm just saying that while a Hamill fanboy can nail how the voice sounds, they can't nail the performance as a whole.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote