Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 05-17-2014   #31
skeletonking1234
Banned

Default Godzilla

*Minor Spoilers ahead*

*Note: When seeing this film, do not go into the movie thinking that you are going to get a big monster brawler where you see the monsters a lot like Pacific Rim. This movie is a character driven monster movie much like Jaws where the characters come first, while monsters aren't shown a lot until the last 35 minutes.

Godzilla follows the brody family leading up to the events to the release of two monsters called Mutos onto the world. Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) believed that what killed his wife in a nuclear power plant destruction wasn't a natural disaster and was something else. His son Ford (Aaron Taylor Johnson) is happily married but has to go to japan after his father is arrested after breaking into the same area where the meltdown of the construction site had happened years ago. The two then discover the area said to be radioactive is in fact not at all, and they then discover that a group of military scientists and soldiers are being led by Dr. Ishiro (Ken Watanabe). A creature was being held at the base and gets lose after an electromagnetic blast causing it to awaken. Another creature of the opposite sex was originally held in captivity and also gets lose. Ishiro explains that there was a creature in the 1950s under the name Godzilla who went dormant after it was attempted to be killed by nuclear bombs. Godzilla then awakens to fix the natural balance of nature and now has to stop the Mutos from destroying the world.

Now Godzilla is considered one of the most well known of giant monsters and has the longest running film series ever made (30 movies in 60 years), but Godzilla has never really been a film series to take itself that seriously (except with the first one). But here Godzilla is not only a very serious film, it's probably one of the best films of the summer, and for that to be a Godzilla film, is saying a lot.

First Acting. Now with past Godzilla films everyone constantly makes fun of the dubbing and how the words never match the lips and it looks really cheesy, so I was happy with here the film primarily has an all english speaking cast. Aaron Taylor Johnson plays the main character, which may disappoint some as Bryan Cranston seems to be the main character since all the trailers show him the most. Johnson does a fantastic job here, playing a soldier who specializes in bombs who has been dragged along on this since he and his dad witnessed the Muto escape, and now Dr. Ishiro needs his help after the creature gets out since he has some of his dad's knowledge. All the other actors do great jobs as well. David Stratham and Ken Watanbe both do fantastic jobs in the film. Stratham does a good job at playing the general character, and thankfully the character isn't a generic loud mouthed general like we've seen in other films like this, and Watanbe is very good as being the calm and collected scientist Dr. Ishiro, who knows much about Godzilla and understands what Godzilla has to do and tries to find a way around interfering with him. Bryan Cranston, while not being on screen for more than 25 minutes, does a very good job as usual, being this nervous wreck of a genius who is trying to solve the mystery as to why the nuclear plant he worked at had collapsed, killing his wife, and thinks he has the answers to it. Also cool little tidbit, pay attention to the american man who is with Cranston at the nuclear plant at the beginning, because when I saw him I had the biggest geeky smile on my face. I'll just say, this canadian voice actor has had experience with monsters before, especially robots in disguise .

Now action and effects. When I heard Godzilla was going to be CG I was hoping that he would look faithful to the design of the original and would still move and look like he has some weight to his movement, and thankfully, he looks fantastic. Not only that but the CG in general looks amazing. The Muto's designs are very cool to look at, the scenes of destruction look very realistic and the monster fights are just flat out amazing to watch. While you don't see a lot of Godzilla until the last 20 minutes, it's definitely worth it to that point, because you see a lot of the Muto throughout the film. There is also some very good suspense and buildup to several of the monster scenes, the best one being when Aaron Taylor Johnson and another soldier are hiding on some train tracks trying not to be seen by one of the Muto who is slowly lurking around the tracks. Also the last fight scene, is the most suspenseful and awesome fight I've ever seen in a monster movie. In my theatre during the end of the fight there is two moments that I won't spoil but I'll just say, my whole theatre applauded when they happened. I saw this movie in IMAX and 3D and scenes like that are well worth it the price.

Overall, Godzilla is not only a very good summer blockbuster, I think its the best movies I've seen this year so far. The action is fantastic, the effects are top notch, the acting is incredible, and it's entertaining as hell. My words can not do this film justice, just see the movie for yourself and make your own conclusion.

My final rating
4.5*s out of 5

Last edited by skeletonking1234; 05-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.
skeletonking1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #32
VctrBnsn

Default Re: Godzilla

Just saw the movie, and here is my full review of it. FWI, this review is going to lean on the negative side.

I really hyped myself for this movie. I really did. I was hoping for something fantastic and memorable. What I got was clumsy, cheesy, and most disappointing of all, standard. In fact, I felt this was just as cheesy as the 90's film.

The acting was melodramatic and taking itself too seriously, even though the dialogue was no different then the standard dialogue in most films like this.

The monsters were really weird. Godzilla was cool, but the other two felt really out of place. Every time they came on screen the audience laughed. And sadly, I think they had more screen time then Godzilla. They made the movie feel really imbalanced.

The music was really out of place. If they kept the music from the trailers, it would have been good. But all we get is constant "DUN DUN DUN", really generic and really corny, like something from a 60's film. And it was CONSTANT!! In scenes I wanted to be quiet or have a subtle soundtrack the "DUN DUN DUN" blared, and totally killed all suspense.

It looked like they wanted to treat this very seriously in some parts, but in others they felt like they were playing homage to the Toho films. Unfortunately, they didn't mix well. It's like the script was written by two people with different visions for the film but they were meshed together hoping for the best. Heck, every aspect of the film felt like that was the case.

The trailers showed the best parts of the movie, don't expect much beyond that. And they were put together to make it look more realistic then the final product actually was. Bryan Cranston himself was only in it for the first third!

Too many full body shots of the monsters early in the film. If they only showed glimpses of them until the end there would have been more suspense, but they save that for Godzilla himself.

It wasn't completely bad however. Godzilla himself was really cool, but his presence felt undermined by the other monsters. The movie should have just been about Godzilla only being a force of nature we can't possibly understand. Instead, we get two evil monsters and Godzilla becomes a hero, taking away from the mystery we felt from the trailers. they even try to explain his existence in a way that becomes a 'voodoo shark', raising more questions than answers. They say the monsters came from a time when radiation was more prevalent on earth, and imply they evolved from dinosaurs. So, when was this time period? Why did it have so much radiation? What animals did the MUTO's evolve from? Heck, Godzilla himself carries no similarity to ANY dinosaur in a biological sense, especially when they show a skeleton of the thing. If they never found out his origin, it would have been better, maybe showing that humans don't and may never fully understand the world around them.

Despite the negativity of this review, it wasn't THAT bad. It still had some cool moments (atomic breath!), but it wasn't the game changer I was hoping it would be. but this is just my opinion. If you loved it, that's awesome. I loved Man of Steel but every seems to hate that. It just didn't do it for me/ All in all, I give it a 5 out of 10.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #33
GothamRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VctrBnsn View Post
They say the monsters came from a time when radiation was more prevalent on earth, and imply they evolved from dinosaurs. So, when was this time period? Why did it have so much radiation? What animals did the MUTO's evolve from? Heck, Godzilla himself carries no similarity to ANY dinosaur in a biological sense, especially when they show a skeleton of the thing.
They only said that the creatures in the movie are remnants from a time where the atmosphere was more radioactive, then as time went on they evolved to live underwater closer to the core as the radiation in the atmosphere decreased, which is why no one has seen one until now. They never really specifically said they evolved from dinosaur, just that the creatures they evolved from would have existed around the same time. At least that's what I took from it.
Old 05-18-2014   #34
VctrBnsn

But still, why was this time full of radiation? They kind of glossed over that. I think it would have been more powerful if they never find out how these creatures exist, showing that humanity doesn't know everything and going with the films message that nature isn't in our control. Besides, I have a better theory: they came from an inter-dimensional rift from the Pacific Ocean .

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #35
Metabad

Best romance movie I've ever seen!
Metabad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #36
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

This movie...I'm so torn on it.