Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 04-24-2014   #1
VctrBnsn

Default Jon Favreau's "The Jungle Book" (2016)

Well, it would seem now that Disney is looking to its animated film library to make live action feature films. With Malifecent this year, and Cinderella coming soon, we also get a live action Jungle Book, with some interesting cast.

As it's already been announced, Idris Elba is playing Sher Khan, which is casting I'm very excited about. Recently announced casting includes the lovely Lupita N'Yongo playing Mogli's wolf mother Ratcha, and Scarlette Johansson playing Kaa. With that casting, I wonder if they're going with the book version of Kaa where he/she's a friend of Mogli, or the Disney version were he's a villain. If the latter, cue the weird fan art.

Hey, and with Disney doing these live action versions of their animated classics, who else wants to see a live action Lion King? (Well, it would more likely be CG characters with a live action background, but I'd still watch the crap out of that)

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara

Last edited by TylerMirage; 08-31-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Retitled.
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #2
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: Live action Jungle Book

Words cannot describe how ready my body is for Idris as Shere Khan.

And I'm genuinely excited to see how the movie turns out as a whole.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #3
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Live action Jungle Book

I'm not too fond of having yet ANOTHER reboot/rehash to add to other future movies (I suppose it won't die out for a long while). It's making Hollywood seem all the more lazier than they already seem.

But like Godzilla, I will keep my hopes up for this one. Mainly because I didn't care much for the original animated version. That, and it may shape up to be something good from what I can gather so far:

~The effects, if I remember, are being done by the same people as the ones who did the effects for Life of Pi, some of the best visuals I've seen in a 21st century movie until Gravity came along the following year. This is an advantage I hope will carry over to this film.
~Shere Khan voiced by Idris Elba. Yep, Tyler pretty much says it.
~Lupita N'Yongo as Ratcha. I recently saw her in 12 Years A Slave, and I think she has a strong emotional capacity, so I'm quite thrilled to see what she may have in store here.

The only thing I can't get on board with is Scarlett Johansson as Kaa. I'm not stoked like everyone else is. Just the casting choice alone makes me very confused. I mean, I'm not saying she's the WORST choice for the role (even gender-reversed), but.... I'm not TOO hopeful about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Words cannot describe how ready my body is for Idris as Shere Khan.
Will this gif help?

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #4
SupremeTarantulas

I wonder if John Goodman is back as Baloo, or Jim Cumming as King Louie since the lawsuit was dropped. On another note I'd like to see Disney reimagine it's most famous animated films in live action, especially Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, and Peter Par, and Snow White.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #5
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
Will this gif help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I wonder if John Goodman is back as Baloo, or Jim Cumming as King Louie since the lawsuit was dropped.
Eh, Goodman was good (heh), but I'd much prefer they go with someone new. That's the fun of re-telling the same story: having fun with the cast. Change it up, make it new, make it fresh.

Also, what lawsuit?
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #6
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post

Eh, Goodman was good (heh), but I'd much prefer they go with someone new. That's the fun of re-telling the same story: having fun with the cast. Change it up, make it new, make it fresh.

Also, what lawsuit?
Louis Prima's widow sued Disney for of his voice, forcing them to suspend use of the character, though I didn't realize it ended a few years ago.
Old 05-07-2014   #7
TheVengeanceKnight

After seeing/hearing this, I want Tom Hiddleston as Baloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvxb_VkGCc
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #8
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
After seeing/hearing this, I want Tom Hiddleston as Baloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvxb_VkGCc
Seconded.
Old 05-08-2014   #9
thomwim

I can understand why people are complaining about Kaa being voiced by a Woman. I mean, Bagheera was already voiced by Eartha Kitt in one movie

In Soviet Russia, Bagheera became a female. As grammar insists, the word "pantera" is Female. And so are most names ending with "A", except Nikita or Ilya.

http://iandanielstewart.com/2007/09/...-book-cartoon/
Old 06-13-2014   #10
DVJ

Im quite intrigued ,I always thought tha the world of the Jungle Book is something that can only be brought into live action format with CGI animals and some computer generation to the settings,and if the effects are being indeed done by the same people who worked on the Life of Pie that's a big step in the movies favor,most of all because both they have experience in creating realistic CG Bengals tigers.

I hope that the story follows the book more closely,though not a complete scene by scene,word by word copy, and hopefully the tone will have a balance between funny and serious,without going over board with either

I hope that get an actual kid to play Mowgli,or at least someone in his early teens,and don't make him grown man like in that shitty 1994 version,with was basically Tarzan in India.

I agree that having Kaa be voices by Scarlett Johansson is pretty weird,im not going to speculate anything before I see the actual performance,but I wouldn't cross my fingers.

I don't have anything to say about Idris Elba and Lupita N'Yongo because im not familiar with any of their work,though I wonder if the latter only got the role of Raksha because of her name

Also I wonder who will voice the other animal characters,any guesses?

Overall im very interested in seeing this,and I hope that it wont disappoint me.
DVJ is offline   Reply With Quote