Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 07-17-2013   #1
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default The Al Pacino-Issue with "Despicable Me 2"

Here's an interesting article that Tara Strong shared on her Facebook. It has to do with celebrity voice-actors, in particular, how Al Pacino left the production of Despicable Me 2 quite late.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-com...ors-85592.html

I agree with the concept of the article, but I disagree with the title. The "worthlessness" of celebrity voice actors? Many may be cast for their names alone, they may take home paycheques that are magnitudes larger than veteran VAs, but making that blanket statement is just flat out rude and incorrect.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: The Al Pacino-Issue with "Despicable Me 2"

I agree with the concept of the article and like you Tyler. I wouldn't say celebrity voice acting is worthless. They need shouldn't cast celebrity voice actors in animated films on the merit of there names, but rather by there skill.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #3
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

Al Pacino will surely voice an animated character one day! How about that?
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #4
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: The Al Pacino-Issue with "Despicable Me 2"

I wonder what Tara herself thinks of the situation.

Tyler pretty much summed it up for me. I like the idea they were trying to get across: the delivery was completely botched, though. The article was built on half-baked assumptions, most of which were not relevant enough to the point being made. Also, the fact that Pacino leaving the project wouldn't have defeated the outcome of the film because it's a sequel to an already popular film. Of course people are still going to go see it regardless, given that most of the same people involved in the first project return to the successor.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #5
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
I wonder what Tara herself thinks of the situation.
There's actually a comment from her in the comments section.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #6
VctrBnsn

Personally, I have a hard time believing the general public only goes to animated films because of big name stars. I've noticed most are actually surprised to find out who was in the film when they see the credits. I think a lot of people just have the deciding factor as whether they think the movie is worth their or their children's time.

Case in point, Frozen didn't have an A list cast, but became one of the highest grossing animated films in recent memory. Epic, on the other hand, had one of the most star studded cast in recent memory, but only did average. Most Disney films in the 90's had little known actors playing major roles, with only maybe on or two big names to round out the supporting cast. That tradition was carried out again in the Princess and the Frog. Oprah Winfrey and Terrance Howard were in that movie, but no advertisement showed them. Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys were interested in the lead role, and I personally think both of them could have nailed it. But Disney went with Anika Noni Rose. If it went the other way, I don't think there would have been a significant difference in gross.

All in all, I don't mind celebrity voice acting, in fact, in several cases I love it. I just don't like getting into the hate on either side of the argument.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3173518/1/Masai-Mara
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #7
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

There is some voice-over work provided by Al Pacino himself:

http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/m...iceover-tv-psa Public Service Announcement for Children's Aid Society (2003)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrmB6XSK9lA Television Commercial for 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (March 2012)

Anyway, Al Pacino will voice an animated character one day!
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #8
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteForSirAtlas View Post
There is some voice-over work provided by Al Pacino himself:

http://www.childrensaidsociety.org/m...iceover-tv-psa Public Service Announcement for Children's Aid Society (2003)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrmB6XSK9lA Television Commercial for 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (March 2012)
Yeah, it's always cool to hear celebrities do VO work for commercials and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteForSirAtlas View Post
Anyway, Al Pacino will voice an animated character one day!
I'd love for him to, but I don't think it's a guarantee.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote