Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 08-04-2014   #1
PacoSlimee

Default Adventures In Voice Acting Workshop

A few days ago I had the pleasure of attending Bang Zoom Entertainment's voice acting workshop, Adventures in Voice Acting, taught by Tony Oliver (Ulquiorra in Bleach, Minato in Naruto, etc…). And I have to say, if you are at all interested in anime voice acting you need to take this class. It is split into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. With Beginner focusing on basics such as the dubbing process and anime acting. Intermediate being more character based and more advanced techniques. And Advanced being focused on the business end of the VO world and recording for video games. I only took the beginner class (due to intermediate and advanced having been sold out) but the experience was on it's own incredible. The day began with meeting in the Bang Zoom studio's cafe area, where students can mingle before the class begins. While there I met quite a few interesting people, including another BTVA member. After awhile Tony appeared and led us to the studio. It was much larger than I had anticipated, but I was told that along with being a training area that it was also an active recording studio. Tony then instructed us on the basics of anime voice acting. Explaining that "if you can successfully dub anime, you shouldn't have much trouble in other forms of VO.". And I can see why. A TON of work goes into dubbing, not only do you have to act and act believably you have to consciously make sure that your words match the flaps without sounding unnatural. Sounds easy, much more difficult in practice. A large portion of the class was focused on doing mock dubs. Which is just like what it sounds, you sit in front of the mic and act while watching a screen. With Tony directing as you go, giving tips, and explaining what to do and what not to do. In my particular experience I was able to dub Simon from Gurren Lagann, Yukiatsu from Ghost Slayers Ayashi, and Moondoggie from Eureka 7. At the end of the session you listen to the playback of your voice alongside the actual dub audio. It was fun to say the least. Tony is a great teacher and had lots of fun stories to tell. The workshop's location seems to fluctuate between Burbank and San Fransisco, CA. With the price being roughly $300. It was a fantastic time and in my opinion worth every penny. I HIGHLY recommend that if you have the opportunity to take it, that you do so as soon as possible!

Last edited by PacoSlimee; 08-04-2014 at 10:07 PM.
PacoSlimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #2
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01
Default Re: Adventures In Voice Acting Workshop

Man, I wish we had something like this in Australia. We always get the short end of the stick in that regard. Our voice acting scene is near non-existent aside from commercial work. But, I hope that at least one day, I can change all that.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #3
PacoSlimee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanTheVillain01 View Post
Man, I wish we had something like this in Australia. We always get the short end of the stick in that regard. Our voice acting scene is near non-existent aside from commercial work. But, I hope that at least one day, I can change all that.
Good luck man! If at any point you make a trip out to California, I'd highly recommend you check this place out. (Granted, I don't know your financial situation) But hey, I think you'd like it.
Old 08-19-2014   #4
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSlimee View Post
Good luck man! If at any point you make a trip out to California, I'd highly recommend you check this place out. (Granted, I don't know your financial situation) But hey, I think you'd like it.
I actually went up to America for about three weeks for a holiday earlier on in the year, it was in the middle of January. I was in L.A. for five days, Miami for one week & Orlando for one week. Now, I don't how often these workshops run. But, now that it has my curiosity, soon it will have my attention.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #5
Jared Delgado

Quote:
A few days ago I had the pleasure of attending Bang Zoom Entertainment's voice acting workshop, Adventures in Voice Acting, taught by Tony Oliver (Ulquiorra in Bleach, Minato in Naruto, etc…). And I have to say, if you are at all interested in anime voice acting you need to take this class. It is split into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. With Beginner focusing on basics such as the dubbing process and anime acting. Intermediate being more character based and more advanced techniques. And Advanced being focused on the business end of the VO world and recording for video games. I only took the beginner class (due to intermediate and advanced having been sold out) but the experience was on it's own incredible. The day began with meeting in the Bang Zoom studio's cafe area, where students can mingle before the class begins. While there I met quite a few interesting people, including another BTVA member. After awhile Tony appeared and led us to the studio. It was much larger than I had anticipated, but I was told that along with being a training area that it was also an active recording studio. Tony then instructed us on the basics of anime voice acting. Explaining that "if you can successfully dub anime, you shouldn't have much trouble in other forms of VO.". And I can see why. A TON of work goes into dubbing, not only do you have to act and act believably you have to consciously make sure that your words match the flaps without sounding unnatural. Sounds easy, much more difficult in practice. A large portion of the class was focused on doing mock dubs. Which is just like what it sounds, you sit in front of the mic and act while watching a screen. With Tony directing as you go, giving tips, and explaining what to do and what not to do. In my particular experience I was able to dub Simon from Gurren Lagann, Yukiatsu from Ghost Slayers Ayashi, and Moondoggie from Eureka 7. At the end of the session you listen to the playback of your voice alongside the actual dub audio. It was fun to say the least. Tony is a great teacher and had lots of fun stories to tell. The workshop's location seems to fluctuate between Burbank and San Fransisco, CA. With the price being roughly $300. It was a fantastic time and in my opinion worth every penny. I HIGHLY recommend that if you have the opportunity to take it, that you do so as soon as possible!
And what about the Funimation workshop? Does it help just as much as the Bang Zoom workshop?
Jared Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #6
PacoSlimee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Delgado View Post
And what about the Funimation workshop? Does it help just as much as the Bang Zoom workshop?
Unfortunately I can't say. As I could only afford the one workshop. I seem to recall someone asked about it, but I think they no longer do that kind of stuff. I also can't find any info online.
Old 09-11-2014   #7
Jared Delgado

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't say. As I could only afford the one workshop. I seem to recall someone asked about it, but I think they no longer do that kind of stuff. I also can't find any info online.
Okay. The reason I asked you that is because I live in Puerto Rico and Funimation at the moment is the closest choice, plus, it's probably cheaper there than in California.
Jared Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote