Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 03-31-2012   #1
Jackson_H
Top Contributor

Default Your Top FUNimation Dubs

Simple. Just list your top FUNimation anime dubs, #1 being "the best".

*you should only list Funimation dubs that were actually recorded @ Funimation Studios and Okratron5000 in Texas.

Outsourced dubs like Slayers Revolution which was recorded in New York shouldn't be included in this thread.

License rescues should also be not be included
e.g. Gantz was dubbed by ADV Films but is now distributed by Funimation

My Top 20: (at the moment)

*of course Funimation is still putting out new dubs each year so I might update this list in the future

1. Basilisk

I doubt you'll ever see a better cast than this in any FUNimation dub. Full of veterans and the best of FUNi's talent pool (at the time).

It was also recorded during the "DVD singles release era". Sure technology has made dubbing production more efficient and helps speed it up, but I think a bit more care and effort was put into dubs during this era because they had more time to work on the episodes in-between the volumes which were spread out. Funimation also worked on less shows during this era (not yet the market leader) so they could focus more on what few titles they had.

Typecasting and reusing a lot of the same VAs in lead roles in recent dubs certainly doesn't help either.

2. Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple

3. Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

4. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

5. Dragon Ball Z Kai

6. High School DxD New

7. Death Parade

8. One Piece

9. Freezing Vibration

10. Sekirei: Pure Engagement

11. High School DxD

12. Freezing

13. Claymore

14. Heaven's Lost Property

15. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

16. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

17. Witchblade

18. Shiki

19. Fairy Tail

20. Yu Yu Hakusho

Last edited by Jackson_H; 10-23-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #2
Trami0501
Banned

Default Re: Your Top FUNimation Dubs

I like to see Sailor Moon FUNimation dub version please?
Trami0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #3
Okatucat

My favorite FUNamation dub has to be Rosario+vampire,but I haven't seen much amines
Then tied with rosario would be Soul eater..
The voices fit in so much with the mouth and the characters itself.
Okatucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #4
the Skinny

Since Funimation (as of right now) is prolly the leading anime dubbing & distribution company here is the U.S., they've def. got a lot of series they've put out over the years, and I think they're talent in the writing, directing and acting of their releases really show in these:

10. Rumbling Hearts
I saw this show in college (subbed) and immediately thought that it was the closest thing I've seen an anime come to one of those cheesey day time soap operas that most middle aged women/house wives are so obsessed with, so when Funi dubbed this, I'm glad they didn't go over the top with how ridiculous it could have been and actually tried to make it more dramatic.

9. Yu Yu Hakusho
I think this was the next long running, male oriented series they picked up after they've been doing DBZ for so long, so I think there were a lot of people comparing this to being just another DBZ sound-alike. However, once people realized what kind of show this was aside from the fighting in it, and gave it a second look (or I should listen), they realized that Funimation had picked up a series that carries itself on its own merits (though the same could be said now of people who compare Bleach to this show lol). And overall, the casting choices for these characters were pretty good since doing DBZ for so long for some of those actors gave them the experience they needed for a show like this.

8. Rin - Daughters of Mnemosyne
This is one of those dubs where it proves just how mature, open and up for anything some professional female voice actors can handle. Being a very adult-oriented and sexual series, I was very impressed with Funimation for dubbing a series like this (which makes me thing/wish that its only a matter of time before they decided to branch off and dub actual hentai lol)

7. Fullmetal Alchemist
I count both the original and Brotherhood in this due to a lot of the same actors play the same character in each version, though I prefer the plot/story in Brotherhood more. Another mainstream hit that Funimation got for itself and this franchise definitely made Vic Mignogna a star in the anime fandom (though he's done quite a lot of anime voice overs before FMA).

6. Slayers Revolution/Evolution
Slayers is one of my all time favorite anime franchises, so you can imagine when they announced a new series in Japan after so many years of it being over, I couldn't wait to see it. Then I thought about the dub. Originally, the series was dubbed by New York based company Central Park Media, which went out of business by then, and was then re-licensed by Funimation. And (just like when ADV got Crispin Freeman to reprise his role of Zelgadis for the Slayers Premium movie) Funimation was able to reunite the main voice actors to dub the new series, which in my opinion, shows the fans just how far they are willing to go to make a good dub/please the fans.

5. Dragonball Z
Funimation's first and foremost series has been through a lot over the years (voice acting/cast wise, I mean). It's gone from the original Canadian version, to recasting when the production moved to Texas and the voice actors tried to copy/mimic how the voices were, to letting the voices change/adapt naturally to let the new voice actors make the character their own. I can't tell you how many times DBZ voice actors had to come back to reprise their roles for all the different releases of DBZ (original recording, uncut recording, DragonBox release, Dragonball Kai, the various video game adaptations.) But for those actors who have stuck with it all these years, I salute you for staying loyal to your roles.

4. the Rebuild of Evangelion films
Just like with the Slayers, when Funimation got the rights to dub these new Eva films, I was so happy they did what they could to reunite most of the main character voice actors that had dubbed the series with ADV so many years ago.

3. Fruits Basket
This was (in my opinion) the dub that really proved how talented Funimation voice actors were. This was I believe the first series that Funimation licensed which was the typical male-oriented series that they had become so well known for (DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.) so when it came out, I remember clearly people saying that this was going to be bad or the actors wouldn't know how to handle such a series with drama/comedy/romance in it (myself included). But when I got my hands on the dvds, I was pleasantly surprised and extremely impressed with the actors performance and it remains one of my fav dubs of all time.

2. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Wow, just wow! I had seen this series subbed and loved it for its raunchy humor and vulgar voice acting (and that was in Japanese, mind you) so when Funimation had got the rights to dub this, I hoped they would be able to match it. And they sure as hell did. In fact, I think they blew it outta the water with just how far the characters were willing to go (dialogue) and much like with the dub of Rin - Daughters of Mnemosyne, I thought it'd be only a matter of time til Funimation takes on more "adult" titles, heh.

1. Shin Chan
Definitely my all time favorite Funimation dub. The idea of taking a series that was not only so well known and popular in Japan and somewhat innocent/family friendly by their standards, and dub it to be much more crude and comical by our standards was just great! Now granted, it was a gamble since this could have backfired on them since fans have been known to be so elitist when it comes to dubs, and since this was taking the dub of the original source material so far off from what it originally was (just like Robotech) it might've cost them, especially since they didn't release any of the original Japanese version of the show with their version. However, in the end, it was a moderate success and definitely gained a fan base all on its own creative comical merits, and I for one, would love to see more Shin Chan from Funimation.
the Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #5
SaigoSentinel

Hrmm....Here's a few of my favorites:

1. Negima (! and !?):
This show holds a special place in my heart for being one of the first and only harem anime I've watched, as well as having such an amazing dub featuring Greg Ayres and Luci Christian. To this day I wish they'd license the Negima: Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba OVAs, but they probably won't, given their track record.

2. Steins;Gate:
I get it, this show started off pretty slow. But the more you watch, the more you begin to be drawn in by it. Especially on FUNi's blu-ray of it. The dub was phenomenal, the localization was superb, I loved Tarou's American-friendly humor, I could definitely relate with it. It was just an overall awesome dub.

3. Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
What was this show if not epic? Jamieson Price as the Count was the perfect voice for him, as well as Johnny Yong Bosch as Albert complimented the characters very well and made it an epic show to watch dubbed.
SaigoSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #6
BloodInga

1.) RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne

This is one of my favorite series. It kept me interested and at times the brutal scenes were also erotic. I also like the fact it was one of the series that had a strong female lead role.

2.) Dragonball Z

A series that went through a lot of work and in my opinion was worth it. It's one of my childhood favorites.

3.) Claymore

Another series that casts females as the lead role. It was violent and bloody but it has an interesting plot and the development of the characters is incredible.

4.)Fruits Basket

The dub was great; every voice actor showed emotion and gave their characters more depth.

5.) Witchblade
Erotic, bloody, brutal but also heartwarming and charming (and another female lead role)... another favorite of mine.

(I have a lot more and will eventually add but for some reason can't name anymore off the top of my head at the moment)
Old 10-17-2013   #7
mweloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigoSentinel View Post
3. Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
What was this show if not epic? Jamieson Price as the Count was the perfect voice for him, as well as Johnny Yong Bosch as Albert complimented the characters very well and made it an epic show to watch dubbed.
Gankutsuou wasn't a Funimation project. But the dub was quite good.

My favourite Funimation dubs are:
Baccano! (Director: Tyler Walker)
Michiko and Hatchin (Director: Christopher Bevins)
Darker than Black (Director: Zach Bolton)
Summer Wars (Director: Mike McFarland)
Steins;Gate (Director: Colleen Clinkenbeard)
Old 10-17-2013   #9
The Ear of One

are all this Funimation? I could not tell. forgive me or correct me which ones is not.

Fruit Basket:
good mix. Jerry Lewall, Eric Vale and Laura Bailey all brought a amazing emotion too the characters. they really could show tricks people never could think of from Funimation.

Code Geass:
while some argue. this brought good emotion and the voices matches each and every character. bringing thier charm to the character.

Kenichi the Mighiest Disciple:
yepp, this worked. all the way. sometimes it was even better. depending on the emotions. i think. Josh Grelle Todd and Carrie Savage where excellent.

One Piece:
big assemble, good writing. While I am one of the few who complain of Monkey D Luffy choice, thats only beacuse of silly reasons. I miss the time they used to dub the songs though, what happened? rights? the price of dubbing early once, make people crave more.
despite that, Funimation brought justice and humor to One Piece.

Full Metal Alchemist:
Vic Mignogna , Travis Willingham, Laura Bailey, Monica Riel, Caitilin Glass, Troy Baker among others. need I say more?

Bleach:
Ichigo and Toshiro are jsut right. well so are the rest also. Kyle Herbert sounds creepy really works.

Fairy Tail:
give the humor and really asborb the chracters just like the original version.
The Ear of One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #10
AllenWalker

My top four are...

1. D. Gray-man
2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
3. Soul Eater
4. Fairytail
AllenWalker is offline   Reply With Quote