Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > Interviews with Voice Actors

Interviews with Voice Actors Conducted, listened to or read a great VA interview share your experiences here.

Old 11-14-2014   #11
Autovolt

Default Re: Interview with the original English voice of Mewtwo

That is an incredible discovery, perhaps this is the find of the decade.

I'm glad to know the man that voiced Mewtwo is still alive and well.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014   #12
Metabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
'Lo guys!

I've since found a soundbank of Mewtwo's quotes in Puzzle League and "Ready to battle?" has that Eric Stuart flair to it, and "Fool..." and "That's all you've got?" aren't too far off from that. All the other lines sound like the same person who did the cutscene, and "I'm Mewtwo" in particular reminds me of Ted Lewis. It resembles that sinister and well-spoken clarity his Giovanni is known for, at least.

In my defense I only rented the game way back when, and I never got that far.

Perhaps they unintentionally Akuma'd him and didn't pay it an afterthought?
Hmm...why would they get two voice actors for him for the same game? That sounds pretty odd...

Well whether it was Ted Lewis or Eric Stuart, I think they did a great job in sounding eerily close to Jay Goede. Although I do have one question...

Which of them do you think says "I'm going to win"?
Old 11-15-2014   #13
SteelEthlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
(snip)
Ah now that's why he was using his middle name along with the stage name as alias so no one knows it's really him and that I was really wrong about which leaves him to get back doing the voice of Mewtwo if they could not bring up the same mistake by bring the different cast for Kid Icarus characters (Except for Antony Del Rio since he returns as not only Pit but also Dark Pit).

Glad you interviewed him about his reasons about not just Mewtwo but also Dr. Fuji and his middle name and stage name as alias too.

That's all I've got if anyone wants to add what I'm missing just reply to me.

Last edited by NCZ; 11-28-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: snipping long quote
SteelEthlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #14
Cartoon_fan87

Nice to know that he is alive and well, I wonder why he wasn't offered more roles in anime.
Cartoon_fan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #15
PacoSlimee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoon_fan87 View Post
Nice to know that he is alive and well, I wonder why he wasn't offered more roles in anime.
From the sound of it he didn't take voice acting all that seriously at the time. Or at least it wasn't a priority. He seemed more interested in stage work. That's the vibe I got from the interview.
PacoSlimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #16
Galactic_Cyrus
Banned

I'm positive that Mewtwo's voice in the "I am the Puzzle Master" cutscene was definitely Jay. It sounds way too much like his voice in the movie to be Dan Green or any imitator. Not to mention Jay did mention doing work for that game's soundtrack but not remembering what he'd said.
Galactic_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #17
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Cyrus View Post
I'm positive that Mewtwo's voice in the "I am the Puzzle Master" cutscene was definitely Jay. It sounds way too much like his voice in the movie to be Dan Green or any imitator. Not to mention Jay did mention doing work for that game's soundtrack but not remembering what he'd said.
He said "I don't remember working on the game". As for the "soundtrack" part you refer to, his words were "unless they sampled my voice work from the soundtrack". That means he didn't record anything new, and the only way his voice would be in the game would be if they reused his audio tracks from the first movie.

Also note that:
- he clearly remembers the movie, but not the game
- the producers disliked him, leading to his replacement in Mewtwo Returns

There's a chance it could be him but it's pretty unlikely.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-10-2014 at 02:30 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #18
Kirbopher

Hey folks! First off, rosebr10 HUGE props for finally solving this mystery! Hard to believe nobody ever thought to just cross-check the credits of Pokemon Live! and put two-and-two together on something like this, but I've seen weirder things happen!

In my opinion, I'd say it's pretty likely that Jay might've played Mewtwo on Puzzle League, and most likely forgot doing it. In some of my own personal experiences with these actors; by no fault of their own other than just plain old human nature...a lot of them really DON'T remember, or sometimes even know any of these finite details. None of the cast members I spoke to that -actually worked on the movie- had any idea who played Mewtwo. Hell, I even recall being told that at an earlier stage of production, celebrities were being considered to be brought onto Mewtwo Strikes Back...REPLACING the cast of the show (Leo DiCaprio as Ash was an example I was given; I kid you not). Might've been a Warner Bros. exec decision that ultimately didn't go through?

Puzzle League not having any VO credits still causes some confusion. I'm fairly certain Blaine and Lorelei's actors listed on every site are NOT the proper credits, but this is the same issue that arises from a lot of these shows. The internet just doesn't know who a lot of these folks are and with so much information from SO many series, games and movies, sometimes it's hard to blame them for not knowing either.
Kirbopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #19
rosebr10

Just for you, Kirb I contacted Eric Stuart (who, as I mentioned, was credited for additional voice direction along with Ted Lewis around the Johto era), and unfortunately it's like you said.

Quote:
Dear Bryan,
Dan Green played it in the movies
I have no idea if Ted Lewis ever did the voice. I never did.
But, I am the only non Pokemon live actor to sing a song on the live soundtrack. "Two Perfect Girls" since the actor who played Brock looked more like him but sounded nothing like me.
Hopefully, that piece of trivia will make up for my lack of knowledge about your origin question.
Eric Stuart
This was when I included the same Puzzle League video and soundbank I linked to in earlier posts for reference (Kinda regret not making a YT video of the soundbank clips or e-mailing the clips directly now, though this might just be my pessimism talking).

Stuart appears to be speaking in general terms when he refers to "the movies" and not being able to answer my original question, as he does not specifically mention the game at all in that part of his response (i.e. he was referring to Mewtwo Returns, and not the cutscene). Thus the trail runs cold.

Reused assets of Goede's performances is a possibility, sure, but the main voice that was clearly recorded within the context of the video game ("I am the Puzzle Master") is just too consistent for this to really take off as a possibility (Eric Stuart not being "Ready to battle?" [so he says] is likewise crippling to my investigation), especially after I brought it up a second time. More likely than not the extent of the recycling in the entire franchise, if plausible, would be the "But, why?" at the very end of the Uncut Origin of Mewtwo (aka Mewtwo's Origin).

So I guess Michael Haigney would be the only person left to ask now (he was Blaine [Ted Lewis is a grossly inaccurate construct that needs to die a lot more than it already has] and Poliwhirl [this was before Stuart became the mainstay voice with Misty's Poliwhirl], so why not?). Maybe if we're lucky we can get some resolution about Lorelei and Jayne Grand at the same time.

Last edited by rosebr10; 12-29-2014 at 05:19 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015   #20
Metabad

Looks like rosebr10 figured out which Philip Bartlett exactly died.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0058877/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Proof: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0058876/b...read/248027037

Quote:
I have been in contact with family (the same individual who wrote Bartlett's bio), and this info is legit.
What I find kind of odd about this is how his cause of death is completely different from the one Wikipedia listed for "Phillip Bartlett." So either there's yet another Bartlett who died in the hospital due to aorta surgery complications, or Wikpedia was completely drawing this "cause of death" from a hat.