Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 07-03-2014   #1
The Doctor

Default What Could Have Been...

As we all know, casting processes always take a lot of time and rarely (if ever) is the right actor found for the character immediately. Sometimes the casting people simply have to audition tons of people or the actor they originally wanted was unavailable. My point is that there are a lot of actors who were considered for a role or another, but in the end the role went to someone else.

What are some "What Could Have Beens" you would have loved to hear and maybe would still like to hear?

I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart was considered for the role of Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Now don't get me wrong, I love Tony Jay as Frollo and I think that we can all agree that Frollo wouldn't be as memorable villain as he was without Jay. Still, Stewart is one of my all-time favorite actors so I'm kinda curious to know what his Frollo would have been like. At least I would like hear him sing Hellfire.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #2
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: What Could Have Been...

I've always heard that Patrick Stewart was considered for Jaffar, not Frollo. Maybe it was both.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #3
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Tim Curry as Joker in B:TAS. I'd still like Curry to take a whack at the Joker someday.

Just imagine how having Curry as Joker would've changed things. Like, everything. How would it have affected the show? The franchise? Hamill's VO career? Curry's career? How the character is viewed? Seems like the kind of thing that might've completely altered the course of a lot of things (for better or worse).
Old 07-03-2014   #4
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Tim Curry as Joker in B:TAS. I'd still like Curry to take a whack at the Joker someday.

Just imagine how having Curry as Joker would've changed things. Like, everything. How would it have affected the show? The franchise? Hamill's VO career? Curry's career? How the character is viewed? Seems like the kind of thing that might've completely altered the course of a lot of things (for better or worse).
Remember Al Pacino as Two-Face and Sir Anthony Hopkins as Mr. Freeze in "Batman: The Animated Series" (1992 1995)! Your thoughts about these would-be voice-over roles?
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #5
LordofEvil96

I remember hearing somewhere that in the first X-Men movie Terrance Stamp, David Hemblen, and Sir Christopher Lee were considered for Magneto. I do think Ian McKellan plays the character wonderfully but still, imagine if Stamp had been cast as Magneto. I'm sure they probably would've had him say "KNEEL BEFORE MAGNETO CHARLES!!" I think Lee would have also done well as Magneto too.
Old 07-03-2014   #6
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Jeff Steitzer (the Halo multiplayer announcer) according to this interview here & this interview here, originally auditioned for & was originally cast as Master Chief. Until Marty O'Donnell (composer & audio director for the Bungie-made games) stepped in by recommending Steve Downes, who O'Donnell worked with previously on Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator.

Ever since that happened I've always been curious as to how he would have sounded if Bungie went through it. Hell, if the voices swapped. What if Steitzer voiced Master Chief? What if Downes voiced the multiplayer announcer?
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #7
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteForSirAtlas View Post
Remember Al Pacino as Two-Face and Sir Anthony Hopkins as Mr. Freeze in "Batman: The Animated Series" (1992 1995)! Your thoughts about these would-be voice-over roles?
No, I don't actually remember those names ever being considered for those roles. Huh. Perhaps you can post some links to verify that those were actually a thing?
Old 07-03-2014   #8
Polyester Funk

After all this time I'm surprised that we haven't heard Tim Curry as Joker, yet. To my knowledge he was already cast, but dropped out for some reason. I feel like someone else would have hired him for the role by now. Well, it's possible that he didn't want to do it for some reason if he had been asked after B:TAS.

I don't know if any particular actor was in the running, but I've read that Two-Face from B:TAS was going to have a Marlon Brando Godfather voice. Apparently the creators had that in mind until Richard Moll auditioned and did his deep Two-Face voice and everyone loved it. To be honest I don't know if Moll was already playing Harvey and they wanted him to do that voice or if it was still during the casting process. I'm not sure I can imagine that character sounding like that. Not saying it would have been bad, but Moll's voice was so memorable in a good way, that I can't imagine him sounding any different. I suppose a different voice could be memorable, too, yet I feel like a Godfather like voice would not have been thought of fondly in retrospect.

Last edited by Polyester Funk; 07-03-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #9
PacoSlimee

Quote:
No, I don't actually remember those names ever being considered for those roles. Huh. Perhaps you can post some links to verify that those were actually a thing?
He's making stuff up. I'm fairly certain he's a troll.

But to be on topic. I'd really like to hear Chris Farley's take on Shrek. I've heard it was either horrible, or the funniest thing ever. Shame it'll probably never be released.

Last edited by PacoSlimee; 07-03-2014 at 11:37 PM.
PacoSlimee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #10
VoteForSirAtlas
Banned

Quote:
This is the proof:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
After all this time I'm surprised that we haven't heard Tim Curry as Joker, yet. To my knowledge he was already cast, but dropped out for some reason. I feel like someone else would have hired him for the role by now. Well, it's possible that he didn't want to do it for some reason if he had been asked after B:TAS.

I don't know if any particular actor was in the running, but I've read that Two-Face from B:TAS was going to have a Marlon Brando Godfather voice. Apparently the creators had that in mind until Richard Moll auditioned and did his deep Two-Face voice and everyone loved it. To be honest I don't know if Moll was already playing Harvey and they wanted him to do that voice or if it was still during the casting process. I'm not sure I can imagine that character sounding like that. Not saying it would have been bad, but Moll's voice was so memorable in a good way, that I can't imagine him sounding any different. I suppose a different voice could be memorable, too, yet I feel like a Godfather like voice would not have been thought of fondly in retrospect.
Polyester Funk, what do you think? Was Al Pacino really considered as the voice of Two Face?
VoteForSirAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote