Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2022   #1
PrPro03

Default Inkling and "creature voices" - NO NITPICKS

This has always been something on the back of my head for a while, but I've always wondered why Inkling from Splatoon has the creature voice icon. Sure, they've got the whole "part kid, part squid" thing going on and they don't really have understandable dialogue, but considering that they're human by default, do they really count as creatures, or is their voices that make them so? If it is the latter, then shouldn't the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook be counted as creature voices as well because they pretty much have the same voice style as Inkling?

I'm not trying to nitpick or call this a mistake, but I tend to get curious about a lot of stuff and just simply ask questions to get and answer and move on with life.

Last edited by CerealBoxHead46; 05-08-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2022   #2
CerealBoxHead46
Top Contributor

Default Re: Inkling and "creature voices"

I'm going to have to ask you to stop trying to micromanage us over minutiae that ultimately doesn't affect the site in any meaningful way. Our goal on this site is to complete the database as much as humanly possible, and having to deal with insignificant things like this is an active hindrance to that goal. If this were a factual mistake or other type of error, that would be one thing; but this thread literally only exists to critique creative decisions we make as a site. Many of these decisions were decided as the result of a staff discussion, and they usually have a logical reason behind them, even if it isn't immediately evident to everyone. These types of threads are not helpful in any meaningful way, and if you continue to make them, we unfortunately are going to have to start giving you infractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrPro03 View Post
I'm not trying to nitpick or call this a mistake, but I tend to get curious about a lot of stuff and just simply ask questions to get and answer and move on with life.
Just saying "I'm not trying to nitpick" does not give you a free pass to immediately start nitpicking. Sorry.

Now, to answer the actual question:

Quote:
This has always been something on the back of my head for a while, but I've always wondered why Inkling from Splatoon has the creature voice icon.
Because all their dialogue consists of creature noises. I suppose a case could be made that it's actually a fictional language, but here the line is so thin that a case can be made either way.

Quote:
Sure, they've got the whole "part kid, part squid" thing going on and they don't really have understandable dialogue, but considering that they're human by default, do they really count as creatures, or is their voices that make them so?
Whether or not a character is human has nothing to do with whether they are considered a creature voice or not. (This is a good example.) If their dialogue exclusively consists of animal noises, they're a creature voice.

Quote:
If it is the latter, then shouldn't the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook be counted as creature voices as well because they pretty much have the same voice style as Inkling?
No, because the squid sisters also sing.
Closed Thread