Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 01-27-2016   #1
Marusero

Default Voice Acting in Sonic, and Why It's Important

I just want to share with you guys this discussion about the history of voice-acting in Sonic and its importance. There are two parts.

Part 1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiT-A2Q6fUY

Part 2: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgVx3iTw3A
Marusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #2
CatsTuxedo

Default Re: Voice Acting in Sonic, and Why It's Important

The Genesis-era Sonic titles had hardly any voice-acting whatsoever and those are arguably the least divisive games in the whole series, so I see no reason to consider any justification as to why voice-acting in these games is anything more than a superfluous luxury.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #3
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTuxedo View Post
The Genesis-era Sonic titles had hardly any voice-acting whatsoever and those are arguably the least divisive games in the whole series, so I see no reason to consider any justification as to why voice-acting in these games is anything more than a superfluous luxury.
Precisely.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016   #4
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

I don't think VO as a concept has ever been the problem with Sonic. The problem has been Sega's lack of a cohesive direction on what the franchise should be. VO and the two English switches are just one part of that.

Basically it's not as if axing or replacing it would magically make the games better (Kanemaru and co. have been around since Adventure - their presence didn't improve Boom or 06, and lack of VO didn't make Chronicles or Sonic 4 all-time classics). With modern games especially, voiceover is something that's considered standard and adds to the game's atmosphere - even stuff like Mario has it, even if it's not to the same level as something like Mass Effect. Cutting it out of a major series would cause more harm than good even if it's not 100% a necessity.

tl;dr Voiceover isn't what's made Sonic as a series, but it's not what's broken it either. It's just one element that's been... what it has been.

Freedom Planet has an interesting approach on how to implement story (and thus VO) from what I've seen actually. Incorporated naturally into the gameplay, kinda like Mega Man X.

Last edited by NCZ; 01-27-2016 at 06:46 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #5
Marusero

By the way, if you were the voice director and had to change some voices in the current cast, which ones would they be? I'd change Shadow's voice first, Amy's second (unless she uses her Sonic Boom voice), and Sonic's third.
Marusero is offline   Reply With Quote