Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 12-27-2014   #1
electronic456

Cool Best and Worst movies of 2014?

As we are closing in to the end of the year. It's time to solidly wrap up what we enjoyed or despised this year at the movies.

Note: If I see another 2014 film this year before 1 January then it will be added. Anyway here comes the subjective biased ranking of the films I've seen this year.

1.The Lego Movie

10/10
Not once did I feel a problem. This has the overload of fun everywhere with awesome generic characters. Yeah... Generic. But I love those characters. It has some of the best animation and voice acting ever.

2.Captain America: The Winter Soldier

9.5/10
Had they fixed a bit of the shaky cam, I swear..... This would have been Marvel's film to compete with DCs The Dark Knight. The Winter Soldier is my favourite MCU movie of all time so far. Plus I love the whole political corruption thing going on in this movie. The action is also badass with things like the elevator scene and the Winter Soldier ambush on the streets.

3.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

9.5/10
Not going to lie. I enjoyed Rise more but this one had emotion that drives this movie forward even though I knew it was gonna be about conflict in the get-go. This movie's focus on the apes is great and is worth the treat.

4.Edge of Tomorrow

9/10
Not only is manga done justice but a simple concept has become one of the coolest things ever. It is a bit logic poking and wierd but the way it is directed had me glued. Definetly a movie worth seeing.

5. The Fault In Our Stars

9/10
It is one of the strangest romances and I enjoyed it till the heart-breaking end. I've also read the novel which is now an entertaining read thanks to this movie.

6. The Babadook

8.5/10
It's from my country and it was my chance to watch a horror movie from beginning to end straight off. I wasn't really terrified but I like the themes it explores. This movie made me feel proud.

7.Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

8/10
It's a limited release so it counts.... The movie helped me relive the fun of Dragon Ball and gave me the nostalgia factor. It is for fans, but it may work for newcomers as well. I got Beerus as my avatar which is cool.

8.Hercules

8/10
It's pretty solid. It had a really good arc for the title character and the Rock really shows he delivers as Hercules. While the CGI and dialogue is a bit subpar, it still delivered on action.

9.The Amazing Spider Man 2

6.5/10
After a rewatch I decided..... It doesn't need to be bashed heavily. It's flawed but at the same time acted great. This movie had its moments..... Even though clearly things should have been better.

10.Godzilla

6.5/10
I get it.... Godzilla is a disaster movie which keeps the monster hidden until the mark. I wish the characters were written better and me being more satisfied with kaiju awesomeness.

11.Maleficent

6.5/10
Angelina Jolie was great..... It showed a different spin on the title character which I thought was cool and worth it. Some of the CGI and acting should be better but in the end I'm happy it wasn't dull like I thought it would be.

12.Transformers: Age of Extinction

6.5/10
Way too long..... And too much going on... Like Lockdown working for the CIA and Creators or Galvatron. Still has a couple of unnecessary filler and some dumb dialouge. But the new cast helped make me decide it is better than DOTM.

13.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

6/10
Enjoyable but should have been way better. I mean loads..... Why is the Foot Clan in NYC and why would anyone think Splinter learning from a book is a good idea? The turtles are the best part for sure though. I like to see an improvement over its potential. This movie made me realise that I don't like Liebesman as a director because he has no originality in the way he shoots movies.

14.Divergent

5.5/10
Boring and a little weak. It had some moments but it didn't help and I can't help but compare it to The Hunger Games of course...Meanwhile Insurgent looks interesting.

And finally the atrocity known as The Legend of Hercules

0.5/10
Terrible.... Terrible..... It's so lazy and cheap.

So yeah... 2014 was a good year with many interesting movies I still want to see. So what is your list?

Last edited by electronic456; 01-10-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Made list look more stylish
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

The Fault in Our Stars at number 5? Must've been a terrible year.

I kid, I kid. I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book (long car ride, my 3DS battery died, my sister had a copy lying around the back seat, it was the only source of entertainment I had, okay?) and definitely wasn't a fan. It felt really fake, like some middle-aged dude's idea of how teenagers act and what they like. Couldn't stand the characters or dialogue and overall it felt too cliche to really be memorable. Yeah, I read the whole thing anyway, but I didn't enjoy it.

Anyway, I digress.

I ended up seeing more movies this year than I have any other year in my life, though a lot of them were from other years.

If I had to loosely rank my favourites, it'd look something like this:
- Edge of Tomorrow (fantastic--one of the few movies where I wanted to see it all over again immediately after it ended)
- 22 Jump Street (the twist involving Ice Cubes' character, hopefully you know what I'm talking about if you've seen it, had me dying)
- Super Mario Galaxy Guardians
- The Lego Movie
- Big Hero 6

I haven't seen Days of Future Past yet, but hopefully I should in the next couple days. Likewise for the Hobbit, although I'd like to check out the other movies first to prepare myself.

Other movies I enjoyed:
- Top Five (actually had a really inspirational message to it, some poignant moments, some funny moments, and a great cast--seeing the sex and strip club scenes with my dad and brother was pretty awkward though)
- Neighbours
- Muppets Most Wanted (not quite as good as the 2011 one but still a good time)
- The Interview

The Book of Life was enjoyable but I did have a few issues with it, mainly the way they treated its female characters. The art direction and visuals were the real stars of the show.

The weakest I saw was probably Transformers 4. Just didn't grab me. Shia and co. get a lot of flak, but without them around, it felt like there wasn't really a solid base for the movies to stand on, and dropping them without explanation so suddenly made the movie have a certain sense of emptiness to it. I couldn't really get connected to Mark Wahlberg's character--he just felt like he was kind of there rather than truly being the protagonist, the characterization for the robots was pretty weak (Optimus Prime is apparently a murderous psychopath now), and the overall plot felt like it was all over the place. Things like Galvatron's presence came off as forced to me. After four movies, it just felt really by the numbers and like more of the same stuff I'd already seen in ROTF and DOTM. I got bored during an action sci-fi movie! How often does that happen? The first Bayformers is still the best one. The other three feel too samey to really rank as being any better or worse than the others.

Stanley Tucci was pretty awesome though. I think the only other thing I've seen him in was Easy A and he was great there too. Definitely the highlight of the movie and made for a fine, if less madcap, successor to John Turturro's Simmons.

Maleficent was also pretty meh. Angelina Jolie was impressive, but the actual plot of the movie felt forgettable. A lot of the visuals felt fake, like they were clearly CGI/green-screened, which took me out of it.

Last edited by NCZ; 12-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #3
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
The Fault in Our Stars at number 5? Must've been a terrible year.

I kid, I kid. I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book (long car ride, my 3DS battery died, my sister had a copy lying around the back seat, it was the only source of entertainment I had, okay?) and definitely wasn't a fan. It felt really fake, like some middle-aged dude's idea of how teenagers act and what they like. Couldn't stand the characters or dialogue and overall it felt too cliche to really be memorable. Yeah, I read the whole thing anyway, but I didn't enjoy it.
As someone who recently saw the movie (my sister got is as christmas present), I think that it isn't bad movie, but it was REALLY corny and cheesy, and some parts felt really manipulative. Didn't care much for the male-lead either, since he felt just too perfect to be real.

Anyway, here are my personal favorite movies of the year (not in any particular order):

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Easily the best solo movie from Marvel. The stakes are high, the villains menacing and the twist at the end was so good, that I forgave Marvel the Mandarin twist. Also, this movie had arguably the best action scenes of any Marvel movie to date. Sure, I love over-the-top superhero action as much as the next guy, but sometimes all you need is two guys punching each other.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Really fun and funny roller coaster ride. Loved most of the characters and their team dynamic. It is just so cool that Marvel took their one-note C-list heroes and turned them into household names. I, however, do think that the movie could have used little bit slower pace in some scenes and Gamora was pretty boring character (I'm mostly blaming Zoe Saldana for that, since I'm sure that more charismatic actress could have made the material more memorable).

Dawn of Planet of the Apes
Not only is this better movie than Rise, but it even better than most of the PotA movies. It wasn't quite as good as the the original Charlton Heston movie, but it is easily the second best movie in the franchise. Even as hardcore fan of good-old practical effects, I have to admit that all the apes looked amazing. Of course, the brilliant performances from Andy Serkis and other Motion Capture actors helped a lot. But the biggest reason why I love this movie so much is the story. I don't want to spoil anything, so let's just say that this movie was James Cameron's Avatar done right. My only major gripes are that human characters were pretty bland and Jason Clarke had the same face through the whole film.

Snowpiercer
SEE THIS MOVIE! The story is great, the actors are great, the message is great, the twist is great... this movie is just great. I'm 100% sure that years from now this movie has gained huge cult-following as one of those crazy Asian movies that Hollywood would never dare to make. SEE THIS MOVIE!

Runners-up:

X-Men: Day of Future Past - Good movie, but IMHO not as good as people make it out to be.

Edge of Tomorrow - Haven't actually seen this yet, but I have heard good things about it and the DVD is sitting on my shelf. Have to make time to watch it sooner or later.

Kummeli V - I actually really like this movie, but since it is Finnish comedy that will NEVER be seen by anyone outside of Finland, calling it one of the best of 2014 wouldn't feel right.

Last edited by The Doctor; 12-27-2014 at 02:57 PM.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #4
TheVengeanceKnight

So, here's my "Hall of Fame" for this year:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - While I don't think it's as good as The Avengers, it's still absolutely fantastic and one of the MCU's best. Top-notch story, characters, acting, action, music etc.

2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - It's one of those slow burn movies, in a good way. I loved seeing the ape culture after the events of Rise, and it got me immersed into the movie before the action. The human cast wasn't the most memorable aside from Gary Oldman (needed more of him BTW), but worked just fine in the movie, and I did not miss James Flacco and company at all. Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbel steal this movie.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past - An excellent return to form for X-Men that started with First Class. Main highlight was the trio of McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence. Hopefully Apocalypse will live up to its predecessors

4. The LEGO Movie - While the "shine" from my first viewing in the theater wore off in subsequent viewings, it's still an extremely well-crafted movie. I've always been a LEGO fan, I love the way they were brought to life in animation. Voice cast was pretty good, too.

5. Snowpiercer - I know the "grimdark dystopian future" genre is a bit overdone in film these days, but I loved the whole concept of this particular movie and the movie itself. Chris Evans... if this movie is eligible for a "Best Actor" Oscar nomination in this coming ceremony, GIVE HIM A ####ING NOD.

Now, about some of the others (if I did all of them, I'd be here all day). Guardians, while good, still had some flaws and some stuff I would've done differently, so I didn't put it up there. Same with the last part of The Hobbit. Edge of Tomorrow was a lot of fun. Both How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Big Hero 6 were terrific, though I still enjoyed LEGO more. Also, I still need to see The Imitation Game, and I hope to add that to my "Hall of Fame" when I get around to watching it.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #5
electronic456

I'm gonna watch the Rock's Hercules now.... Then update my list.

I'll let you guys know where it stands on my list.
Old 12-28-2014   #6
electronic456

OK I finished watching the film. IMO was good..... So much better than the fake Hercules movie in January.
Old 12-29-2014   #7
Everae

John Wick.
Everae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #8
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everae View Post
John Wick.
I actually heard surprisingly good things about this, especially considering that it looked like a lame action movie with Keanu.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014   #9
Nocturnal Behemoth

Talking Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
I actually heard surprisingly good things about this, especially considering that it looked like a lame action movie with Keanu.
That's true
Nocturnal Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015   #10
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
So, here's my "Hall of Fame" for this year:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - While I don't think it's as good as The Avengers, it's still absolutely fantastic and one of the MCU's best. Top-notch story, characters, acting, action, music etc.

2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - It's one of those slow burn movies, in a good way. I loved seeing the ape culture after the events of Rise, and it got me immersed into the movie before the action. The human cast wasn't the most memorable aside from Gary Oldman (needed more of him BTW), but worked just fine in the movie, and I did not miss James Flacco and company at all. Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbel steal this movie.

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past - An excellent return to form for X-Men that started with First Class. Main highlight was the trio of McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence. Hopefully Apocalypse will live up to its predecessors

4. The LEGO Movie - While the "shine" from my first viewing in the theater wore off in subsequent viewings, it's still an extremely well-crafted movie. I've always been a LEGO fan, I love the way they were brought to life in animation. Voice cast was pretty good, too.

5. Snowpiercer - I know the "grimdark dystopian future" genre is a bit overdone in film these days, but I loved the whole concept of this particular movie and the movie itself. Chris Evans... if this movie is eligible for a "Best Actor" Oscar nomination in this coming ceremony, GIVE HIM A ####ING NOD.

Now, about some of the others (if I did all of them, I'd be here all day). Guardians, while good, still had some flaws and some stuff I would've done differently, so I didn't put it up there. Same with the last part of The Hobbit. Edge of Tomorrow was a lot of fun. Both How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Big Hero 6 were terrific, though I still enjoyed LEGO more. Also, I still need to see The Imitation Game, and I hope to add that to my "Hall of Fame" when I get around to watching it.
Saw The Imitation Game the other day and it was, as I expected, amazing. I'd rank it above Snowpiercer.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote