Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 11-03-2014   #1
Ross123

Default "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" (1987)

Or as I like to call it Superman IV: The Quest to Destroy Superman, literally.

I saw this film along with all the other original Superman films last month. I loved the first 2 films, 3 was ok as I got the same reaction I got when I saw Batman & Robin.

So I thought, "Hey, maybe Quest for Peace won't be so bad since I usually seem to enjoy crap superhero movies." And then, well I have to get my thoughts off my chest since I can't contain them anymore. So I'll go over the parts I remember.

Also, this will represent me joking or being sarcastic towards something, ok. So let's begin.

First off the title, "The Quest for Peace". Really, that's what Cannon went with. Huh? Then what the hell was Superman trying to achieve in the previous films, destruction?

Ok, next is the budget. Cannon if I may, I understand that you were going bankrupt (only to close 5 years after the movie came out) and had to have the budget of the film slashed from $36 million down to $17 million but that does not excuse the lazy writing and cheap special effects. Look at Star Wars, that movie only had a budget of $11 million and was a fantastic work of art, not to mention it came out 10 years earlier.

The director of the movie is Sidney J. Furie. Ok, that man made Iron Eagle the year before and it sucked. Not to mention he allegedly put his heart and soul into that film. So already the fate of the movie is off to a GREAT start.

I'll do the acting next since it's slightly more positive. Christopher Reeves and Gene Hackman seem to be the only ones who put any effort into acting out the poorly written story. Every1 else sucked, there's hardly any effort from them whatsoever in my opinion. Although I really can't say anything bad about Mark Pillow (Nuclear Man) as he only flies through the air, beats up Superman and was dubbed by Hackman, therefore he's let off the hook.

Since disrespectful to bash a dead person, I'm gonna say this as nicely as possible. Christopher Reeves, I know you're a great actor but your writing skills aren't that great, sorry. RIP to you.

Now to talk about the things in the film that bothered me. Oh this should be fun.

Ok, at the start of the movie Superman's mother gives him a crystal. If I'm enjoying /enjoyed a movie, I don't normally care for plot holes but that's not the case here. At end of Superman II, we learned that Superman had no crystals left so where the hell did this one come from?

Superman goes to the United Nations to make a political speech that I never really cared for to make peace on Earth. So in order to do this, he sends all the missiles into space. Wait! What? How does that create peace? What about the guns, grenades, tanks, rocket launchers, bombs etc? Are some how not a threat anymore?

Then there's that scene where Lex Luthor and his nephew Lenny steal Superman's hair from the museum. This scene alone makes no sense:

How did they get into the museum if they're wanted criminals? It's broad daylight, I'm sure they'd get caught sneaking in.

Or if they just walked in, why didn't security stop them? Lex was wearing his prison outfit after all.

Also, where did they get that mini axe? Did Lenny just so happen to have it in the trunk of his car?

When Lex touches the glass with the axe, why didn't an alarm instantly go off? Museums are supposed to have those kind of things.

In fact, how the hell did no one hear the glass smash? The sound of glass breaking isn't silent nor that quiet.

And where were the museum staff? Like I said it's broad daylight, surely someone should have seen them steal Superman's hair.

Finally, Why wasn't the theft reported on the News or in the Daily Planet? In fact, it's never mentioned at all in the movie after it happens.

Another scene that bugged me was when Clark reveals to Lois that he's Superman, again. They go for a fly around the city for a bit before Superman learns that Lois remembers the events of Superman II only for him to super kiss her, again. Making this entire scene completely pointless. Was it just there to extend the movie. I guess that makes sense considering it only lasts 86 minutes. Come on Cannon, shortening the movie by touch wouldn't have caused any harm.

Then shortly after that, Lex contacts Superman to grab his attention. On the big screen??? Ok, just how did no one else see Lex's face on that screen? Like I said its big, but apparently not big enough for the people of Metropolis.

Then we meet Nuclear Man who is yet another made up villain for the films. It's as if Superman has no other enemies other than Lex himself and General Zod. That must be the case since there's no other exclamation to create your own villains.

And then the film just becomes repetitive and boring. Superman chases Nuclear Man, saves people, fights Nuclear Man for a bit. Repeat this over and over til almost the end of the movie.

Why is Nuclear Man flying away from Superman? He was tasked with destroying him. Is he a pussy or something. Anyway, this is mostly here to show off Superman's new powers that Cannon just decided to create. Like that power where Superman repairs The Great Wall of China just by looking at it. I'm gonna call it "Super Look" until the young girls sue me for stealing their concept.

Also there's that scene where Nuclear Man is looking for Lacy. Why he's looking for her, I don't know maybe I missed that part. Either that or its never mentioned but I don't care since this film is crap. Anyway, Superman confronts him asking, "Where is she?" What? Can Superman read minds now considering how Nuclear Man didn't tell him who he was looking for? We also get another moment of made up super powers where Superman puts citizens down safely just by looking at them.

After more of the same stuff we've pretty much seen to death, Nuclear Man finds Lacy and takes her into space where Superman must rescue her. This part snapped my brain in half. HOW THE **** DID SHE SURVIVE IN SPACE FOR THAT LENGTH OF TIME WITHOUT ANY OXYGEN WHATSOEVER, THAT MAKES ABOSOULTY NO ****ING SENSE!?!

And the last we see of her is when Superman puts her back on Earth before the final showdown with Nuclear Man. Do we know what happens to her afterwards? Nope.

And the film ends with Superman destroying Nuclear Man, sending Lex back to prison and the Daily Planet is back in proper hands. The latter I didn't mention earlier is because it contributes nothing to the story whatsoever. Ok, it did a wee bit.

Thank goodness those scenes where Lex creates the first Nuclear Man aren't in the movie cause that would have probably been another half hour of repetitiveness and bore.

Anyway, it only made about $15 at the Box Office making it a failure. And I'm gonna rate it 0.5/10. That's for the good acting from Reeves and Hackman. Both of which are great actors, this movie is a disservice to them.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Hackman was hardly in the movie. Lex Luthor was underused. I didn't mind this in Superman II as I know the reasons behind that movie but there is no excuse to underuse him here.

I 've not seen Supergirl, the Ghost Rider movies or Steel. And most of you should already know what I think of Batman & Robin by now.

As it stands, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is the worst superhero movie I've thus far.

Let me know if I've missed or forgotten a scene of torture in this movie.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 05-28-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Retitled.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014   #2
LordofEvil96

Default Re: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Um, not to offend you or anything, but I think this'd go better in the "review the last movie you saw thread." Just a suggestion.
Old 11-04-2014   #3
Ross123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofEvil96 View Post
Um, not to offend you or anything, but I think this'd go better in the "review the last movie you saw thread." Just a suggestion.
Fair point but it wasn't the last film I saw recently. Recent enough I'd say since it was only last month but remember the thread is called "Review the last movie you saw thread." Besides, you won't believe how long it took me to type all that, I'm not a fast typer so it took a while.

The suggestion you gave doesn't offend me (I don't know why you thought it was offensive in the first place) but in some ways it would make sense to send it there.

I get why you would tell me to send it there since I noticed it states "review the latest movies." Didn't notice that actually but does make sense considering there are no reviews on older films. Personally I don't that's fair, with a title such as Movie Reviews we should be allowed to review any film we want. Or does that only count for YouTube.

I was originally thinking of putting it in General Movie Discussion but it contained some spoilers. Well it's an old movie of course but maybe someone hasn't seen it so they might not want to know anything. Although there should be no reason as to why anyone would want to see this other than to see how bad it really is. But I was trying to be couscous.

If the admins ask me to move it, then I'll move it but it will have to wait til some point tomorrow since I find quite hard to transfer stuff on the device I'm using right now and it's all that's with me right now.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say in order to address the apparent issue we have going on.
Old 11-04-2014   #4
SupremeTarantulas

I enjoyed this. Been meaning to checkout all the Reeve films, but may skip this one...
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #5
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I enjoyed this. Been meaning to checkout all the Reeve films, but may skip this one...
You have to check this one out, even just for the lulz.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #6
electronic456

I've got no issue with this movie not being in the 'last movie you saw' thread. In fact, this movie is an interesting case study.

By the way, did anyone enjoy this more than Superman Returns or Man of Steel?
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #7
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic456 View Post
For sheer entertainment value, yes to both. Though of these three, Superman Returns is my favourite.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 11-04-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: *Though, not those
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #8
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Quote:
I don't remember too much about Superman Returns. I didn't love it, I found many parts of it boring, it was half an hour too long, and there were a couple things I thought didn't make sense even to the unapparent eye. And yet, I was drawn to certain points of it. I thought the atmosphere was effective, and though it was very bogged down on many dramatic points, a lot of them I did feel the weight of. And yes, Kevin Spacey as Lexie... ...casting done right.

If anyone saw my comment on Man of Steel.... ....yeah, I did not enjoy that movie. Whereas Superman Returns at least had a haunting atmosphere, a discernible dramatic weight, and a great, memorable villain, Man of Steel had an ineffective atmosphere, forced dramatic weight, and an unmemorable villain by comparison (If you weren't a fan of Shannon's acting in this movie, I HIGHLY recommend Premium Rush, or a little gem from 2011 titled Take Shelter). I was bored by Return, but MoS both really disappointed and annoyed me . Believe it or not, I'd rather be bored than annoyed by a movie, and these two are a testament of why (another being Transformers 2 and 3, the latter I would much rather yet halfheartedly watch).

Now truthfully, I haven't seen Quest For Peace, but for the few scenes/plot points I seen/heard about from the movie, I don't think it's a movie for me. It doesn't look intriguingly bad like The Room or even insufferably bad like The Last Airbender or Felix The Cat (*shudders*) movies. It just looks.... stupid. Plain and simple as that. If it's not doing anything even remotely worth my time or enjoyment, count me out.

Then again, if I watch it, I'll probably still pick Superman Returns of all the 3.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple

Last edited by DreamMaster08X; 11-04-2014 at 09:21 PM.
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #9
Ross123

Quote:
I've got no issue with this movie not being in the 'last movie you saw' thread. In fact, this movie is an interesting case study.
Thanks man . Much appreciated to everyone who enjoyed the review I put together. Seems I might not have to transfer it over after all.

Oh yeah, I remembered something. If Nuclear Man is made from Superman's DNA, then how does he have Lex's voice??? I think that part may have been mentioned in the movie but I honestly couldn't care for it since... well, half the other stuff doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Oh wait I remember now, Nuclear Man was made from the piece of Superman's hair and Lex's DNA. I suppose that makes sense as to why he has Lex's voice. Yay, something that actually makes sense .

Quote:
In response to that question. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet but its ok since we have just over a year til Dawn of Justice comes out. I'll probably see it next month as I'll have a bit more time on my hands cause right now I'm watching quite a few boxsets that I got last year that I never got round to watching. Yeah I still buy some DVDs but so what, I don't care what people think about stuff like that.

As for Superman Returns, it was a decent film at the most. Personally, the acting was pretty bland from most of the cast. Also, it overstayed its welcome a bit. But Kevin Spacy was a bad *** Lex Luthor though I really can't compare him to Gene Hackman since they're both very different. And one last thing, I think making the movie an alternative squeal to Superman II was a bad idea because it looks so out of place when you compare it to the older films. You know, with all the modern day technology. Couldn't be helped really but it should have been a reboot instead.

Last edited by Ross123; 11-15-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Ross123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #10
Ichigo341578926

Ah it's always fun to see what people have to say about this movie.
Ichigo341578926 is offline   Reply With Quote