Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 05-10-2015   #161
Music Meister

Default Re: Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Just saw it today.
The Good
There were a lot of good things, the opening was pretty good and showed good chemistry.
I always love Tony's snarky comments and the recurring joke of Cap and "language" was really funny. "And gosh-darn it watch your language".

-That party scene was pretty good, loved the interactions.

-first scene with Ultron meeting the Avengers was awesome, Ultron speech and the fight with the drones.

-Klaw is awesome, he doesn't have a lot of scree time but he made me excited for Black Panther.

-While I wish the visuals for the Avengers "nightmares" were more creepy or unsettling but they were cool to see. Well Thor and Black Widow's visions were well done but I felt they could have upped Cap's. Wish we saw Bruce's but I guess we needed to cut that off for more Nat/Bruce moments :/

-Hulkbuster, f yeah! And of course RDJ keeps up his Tony Snark.
"...I'm sorry." Hilarious.

-I was taken back by Hawkeye and his family, I didn't expect it. At first I didn't like it by as the movie went on I really liked it especially since Hawkeye overall was awesome in this movie.

-I needed to take a call during the movie so I missed Fury's intro. His speech I saw which was too good.

-The twins were cool, nice characters in both powers and actions.

-Vision looks awesome, I knew he would look good but he looked spectacular, I'm glad they didn't use his ugly comics look. Paul did a good job giving a sort of innocence to him. Wish we saw more but leaving wanting more I guess.

-That final climax was amazing, great action and character interactions. I wish we saw more of Visions powers just to be more clear on it, some poeple don't know what his powers are exactly.

-I don't mind Quicksilver's death, I liked his character but I don't see how he can used more. His death will have Wanda go through an arc that will be cool to see.

The Bad
-Natasha and Bruce beings "couple" was just stupid. It wasn't done well, it comes out of nowhere and it gives the finger to Betty and the Hulk movie.

-Why no Pepper? I get it, a lot of poeple in this already and I liked they went an extra step to get a couple of poeple back but couldn't we get a quick scene with Pepper. She's the only love interest that's actually interesting and we need more female characters.

-Black widow is still not interesting but at least they played more to Scarlet's strength and had her more be a love interest. Don't get me wrong, Scarlet is a great actress but Femm Fatal she is not. Though her fear vision was decent but I still didn't care about her.

-Thor and that bit with the water was weird, wish we got a little more on what the hell that was.

-I have mixed opinions on Ultron and his personality. It's a great villain performance, it's Loki's likable sinisterness mixed with Ronan's towering strength but not I don't think it works as an Ultron performance. Also, as Tyler said, I wish Ultron actually evolved his look. He goes from that drone appearance to his prime look and nothing in between.

Overall a great movie, I liked it more than the first.
Old 05-11-2015   #162
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Saw it again last night. Enjoyed it even more in 2D.

They do give some handwavium pseudo-explanation to the flying city thing. So it turns out I just missed that line. When Tony is flying by the land mass, F.R.I.D.A.Y. dumps some info. "The vibranium core has a magnetic field (or feed?), that's how Ultron's keeping the city afloat." And then there's a brief line or two about "anti-gravs" and taking a closer look at the shots, yeah, it looks like it's basically just a bunch of anti-gravity rockets, with a whole craptonne of metal structure and vibranium running through the core of the ground, just like The Doctor hypothesized. So, I'm satisfied on that front.

Though Ultron still apparently has telekinesis. He uses it against Iron Man twice (Ultron Y U NO USE MORE?!) and Cap's shield. You could make the argument that it's magnetic, but then I realized that he used it to toss Cap (not his shield), rip up the road in his fight against Cap (if you're going to use magnetism to tear up the road via the steel framework underground, why not, you know, use it to flip cars and busses and trains instead?) and rip out a concrete column in the church against Thor (and that sure as heck didn't have metal pipes in it). It was cool, don't get me wrong. But like...does anyone else have any theories? Magnetism? Magic telekinesis?

And Thor's vision quest is even dumber than I first remembered. "The Pool of Sight"? And Selvig knows about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Meister View Post
-Why no Pepper? I get it, a lot of poeple in this already and I liked they went an extra step to get a couple of poeple back but couldn't we get a quick scene with Pepper. She's the only love interest that's actually interesting and we need more female characters.
I dunno', I kind of liked that Pepper got to be in Avengers, and they let some other females shine in Ultron, while still name-dropping her. Like, they traded Pepper and we got Clint's wife instead (which I think is a major trade-up). Plus, I was actually really impressed with the amount of female characters we got anyways.

Natasha, Wanda, Helen Cho, Maria, Laura. And even though they were really minimal, we got Peggy, Madame B and F.R.I.D.A.Y..

If it's Pepper you want, guaranteed that she'll show up somewhere in the next ten films/five years. It's all about balancing who shows up when and why. What would Pepper have done in Ultron? She's busy running Stark Industries. And did Stark Industries play a part in the movie? Not really. Now, Civil War? Wouldn't surprise me if she makes a cameo. Stark's taken a break from avenging, needs to check in with Stark Industries, BAM, video conference with Pepper.

Quote:
-I have mixed opinions on Ultron and his personality. It's a great villain performance, it's Loki's likable sinisterness mixed with Ronan's towering strength but not I don't think it works as an Ultron performance.
I'm with you. I really think he rocked the role, it was a great performance...just not sure how I feel about it as an Ultron performance.

Quote:
Also, as Tyler said, I wish Ultron actually evolved his look. He goes from that drone appearance to his prime look and nothing in between.
I just think that he needed one more step in between his first form and his Prime form.

I mean, we can jump to the conclusion that he went from "Cobbled Together Junk Mark I" to "Ultron Prime" between scenes. So why not have had him inhabit a drone body for the scene with the Maximoffs in the church? Then when we get to the Klaw scene in Wakanda, he can be in Ultron Prime form. Like he's continually evolving off-screen. Just one more design step added in. Go from 0 to 30 to 60, rather than just 0 to 60.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think it would've been cool to have Ultron "devolve" in his design, in the sense that he becomes more and more human. He despises humans, yet he purposefully wants to emulate them in design. I've always liked that part of Ultron. Like, he doesn't realize the irony in the fact that he wants to rid the world of humans...by becoming exactly like them.

He was basically on his way to that already, when you consider the "Cobbled Together Junk Mark I" Ultron, the "Ultron Drones" and then "Ultron Prime" progression. Not to mention his desire for the Cradle to create him a new, indestructible human body. It's just that his final "Beefed Up Ultron Prime" design made him more robotic/Ultron-y (which looked awesome). But like, how creepy would it have been if his final mode was smaller, more lithe and more human looking than even his Prime design?
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015   #163
electronic456

Hey guys, I'm late to the party here.... I just happened to watch this movie and I can happily spit out my words.....

The movie is pretty standard for me.... As standard as both Thor movies, Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. It's so so..... There is some cool stuff I must admit as usual with any MCU film.... But all that aside I'm starting to recognize the redundancy of the MCU.

So what do I like about it? Well the visuals and action are all pretty cool, Hulkbuster vs Hulk was something. The way Banner turns into Hulk is still fresh in my mind as well as how Ultron was rendered in CGI. As expected, the banter is still there especially from the likes of Stark and Rogers. I also like the improved role for Hawkeye as well and it's pretty easy to say everyone was solid in their role.

My problem has to lie with how the narrative goes. It's pretty much a 'seen it before' kind of feeling that gets me. While the movie justified it, I really do not dig the big reason for Tony to create Ultron. It's got nothing to do with Hank Pym not being the creator, it's just that I felt that creating suits would have better. Aside from that, when Ultron is there he's pretty fun to watch.....

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.... Eh.... Scarlet Witch is okay but I don't care for Quicksilver. Really... I'm surprised by that even though he made that sacrifice..... Vision is okay too, bonus points for the dynamic he has with Ultron. Andy Serkis is probably hanging around so there is set up for Black Panther, he's just there to make this movie be cooler and give fans something to like about.

The final thing is the romance between Black Widow and Bruce. Um... It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and really it's sad that Joss Whedon deleted his Twitter because of such nonsense. I find it unnecessary but it didn't ruin anything.... So I gave it a pass.

Overall, I feel as if people who like comic books more than me would have plenty to enjoy here. This movie is kind of a void-filler and set up for the whole Thanos arc. That's kind of how things are moving..... It's another good guys save the day type of film. And pretty much that's it..... After watching this however, I sadly see the potential in which Marvel is kind of losing steam. It did make me feel less excited about seeing another MCU film but I hope Civil War can make up for it with a better "Avengers" movie that relates us back to the real world.

By the way, I'm still super stoked with the Netflix TV series that are coming out. So thanks Marvel....

Final rating: 7.5/10
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote