Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 01-04-2015   #11
electronic456

Default Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

So with all these best lists, is anyone else gonna have a worst list?
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015   #12
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic456 View Post
So with all these best lists, is anyone else gonna have a worst list?
Can't really do one myself, since I usually try to only see movies that interest me and look at least decent. I don't see the point of wasting time and money on seeing movies that I know I will hate. Even morbid curiosity has its limits.

So, while I'm 100% sure that suff like Teenage Mutant Steroid Turtles, Bayformers 4, Dracula-That-Should-Have-Been-Untold and Not-So-Amazing Spider-Man 2 would deserve place in "The Worst of 2014" list, I can't really say that with good conscience, since I haven't actually seen any of those movies.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Edge of Tomorrow - Haven't actually seen this yet, but I have heard good things about it and the DVD is sitting on my shelf. Have to make time to watch it sooner or later.
Saw this yesterday. It was amazing
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015   #13
TheVengeanceKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Can't really do one myself, since I usually try to only see movies that interest me and look at least decent. I don't see the point of wasting time and money on seeing movies that I know I will hate. Even morbid curiosity has its limits.
Seconded.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015   #14
DreamMaster08X

Thumbs down Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

Week later, multiple dollars short. Guess that's the major drawback of a procrastinator at heart.

I will say, though, that though I've seen pretty much all I've wanted to see summer-wise (truthfully, this was a dead summer [pre-June movies not counting] in my eyes at the cinema), I will say that the movies I WANT to see now are pretty much running in few theaters at the moment (like Birdman, Whiplash, and Inherent Vice), or I just hadn't a chance to rent them yet (like Maleficent, Lucy, and Edge of Tomorrow). I'm also likely to see Into The Woods this week, so that might make the list if I like it enough.

Firstly I'll go for the worst I've seen the past year. This is more of a 'by default' list because granted, except for #1, no movie I've watched I thought was plain awful. Still, they were underwhelming compared to my favorites list of 2014.

Worst of 2014 [By Default]

5. No Good Deed

To be honest, I don't think is an all-bad film. I even liked major parts of it. The entire feel of the plot had a sort of Hitchcock-inspired background to it. If all the parts in the first act with the villain were cut out and we first see him at the door and the cut bits were flashbacks, it might even been perfect (granted the trailers would've been a to make). Also give major props to Taraji P. Henson, who was key to the good parts.

What I didn't like was the pseudo-twist in the last act which, in my eyes, turned into sort of a feminist power fantasy. Not the "equalist" kind of vibe, but the "dominant, 'strong', all-men-should-suffer" vibe (as harsh as it sounds). It really fell flat and weak, and despite the already-strong character Taraji provided, turned the lead into somewhat of a stale cookie.

Not really bad, but FAR from really good.

4. Horrible Bosses 2

I think the film's major problem is exactly that: a sequel that follows directly in the footsteps of the original. What made the first movie so ingenious was its unpredictability (the best being between two of the Bosses). The sequel uses that same unpredictable formula step-by-step, and thus became null and predictable. Some of the jokes we're executed well, the best one involving a passing train.

3. Let's Be Cops

I give credit to both Wayans and Johnson for their chemistry and ability to work off each other... the problem was that the humor felt WAY too desperate and rarely worked. Probably not my kind of movie, but I might've respected it a bit if it kept it's rapid-fire jokes kept going the whole ride: the third act actually felt nearly jokeless.

2. A Merry Friggin' Christmas

I'll be completely honest: I felt kind of uncomfortable watching this movie, because its tone kept going back and forth from shock-value-style humor and warm-hearted Christmas morale. The border between the two unfortunately never met a compromisable mid-ground, so it felt ultimately awkward. Kind of sad that this was one of Robin Williams' last movies.

1. God's Not Dead

I think I should provide a bit of background of my life. My parents, my sister and I are Christians; For a good portion of my life, we've gone to Presbyterian church, and about a year in, I've adapted myself to a Christian life, also wanting to adapt a more positive and better point of view on life itself. It is mainly because of this that I do not reject the idea of introducing people to God. More power to it.

And though I personally don't want to be judged based on my views (and vice versa), I did want to provide that detail because it coincides with what I think of God's Not Dead:

I think this movie is a complete atrocity. It fails on both the level of character-based storytelling and moral/message-based execution. Most of the conversations of this film can be retold like this and lose absolutely nothing: Person 1: "I believe [this] because of [explanation]", Person 2: "Well I believe [that] because of [new explanation]". THAT'S IT. There's no true indication of why they believe in something other that [email protected] attempts to try and forcefully shove what actually could've been a decent message to the story. This is a hypocritical straw-man's film at its absolute worst.

I don't even want to acknowledge the message of this film because this is, in my opinion, the most botched up delivery in cinematic history. The point of this movie was supposedly introduced more people to God, but seeing this, it most likely will turn anyone interested in God away from Him. A sad truth that must be held. Christian cinema is usually controversial, and I personally don't get into them due to them being cliche and forced (with the exception of this [technically last] year's 'Heaven Is For Real', a runner up for my favorites list). Aside from those two traits (and this film being the WORST at that crime), God's Not Dead is also bewildering beyond belief, specifically for reasons listed above. Not to mention an ending that, the more and more someone would think about it, is both hypocritical AND confusing.

And believe it or not, this is that SHORTEST abridged version of a review I could dial down to.

You want a footnote for this movie? It's not just the worst movie I've seen of 2014: it's my almost absolute HATED movie of all time, just behind Revenge of the Fallen. Words are failing to properly express my hatred of this movie. It is THAT REPREHENSIBLY BAD.

*sighs heavily*

I was also going to add my Best Of list to the post, but recounting that travesty of a film has me slightly worked up, so happy thoughts to come later.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015   #15
PsychicVoiceSpy

My memory is kinda fuzzy right now, but my overall favorite movies of this year would probably be The Lego Movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. My least favorite is probably that unbelievably stupid and boring 300: Rise of an Empire. There are probably more notably bad ones that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but that one really sticks out for me.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015   #16
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

I don't waste my money on movies I know I'm not going to like, which is probably why I don't end up seeing a lot of them. Maybe I just have ridiculous standards, but there's rarely anything I feel is a must-see. Thankfully I ended up having a fair few must-sees this year, so it turned out okay.

The only movies that made me feel underwhelmed were Maleficent (which wasn't terrible, but it was definitely lacking) and Transformers 4 (which felt like more of the same stuff I'd already seen in ROTF and DOTM). I didn't hate either of them or feel like I'd wasted my time; they just left a bland taste in my mouth.

I already mentioned a few of my favourites in another thread. 22 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, Top Five, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, Neighbours, Muppets Most Wanted, and Edge of Tomorrow. I'd like to see Birdman and X-Men as well, and maybe Gone Girl when I can see it for cheap (i.e. free on Netflix). I have The Grand Budapest Hotel sitting in my Netflix queue.

EDIT: I made this post and then realized the "other thread" I was referring to was this one. What the hell, man.

Last edited by NCZ; 01-04-2015 at 10:17 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015   #17
DreamMaster08X

Thumbs up Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

Took a while to compose a list, as I was trying to decide which movies made the lower-lower half of the Top 10: I pretty much had my top 7-8 set.

DreamMaster's Favorites of 2014

10. [Hunger Games] Mockingjay: Part 1

From what I've been told, the 1st half of the final book was the worst/least best part in the series. I guess you can say the movie follows suit. With that said, the 'worst' of the Hunger Games movies is equivalent to the 'worst' of Studio Ghibli's movies... and I say that as a really good thing.

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Though I did like The First Avenger just fine, the degrees that Winter Soldier reaches are embarrassingly better. This was, in my opinion, the first truly great Phase 2 movie (with Phase 1 dominated by Iron Man and The Avengers), and tells me that the MCU series are going in the direction they should be taking.

8. The Grand Budapest Hotel

It's kind of saddening that Wes Anderson's movies have notoriously fallen into the 'hipster' category; it truly degrades most people's thinking about his movies, which, with most movies, don't try to cater to everybody's needs. I'm one of those [non-critic] people who's probably more accepting to his work (his last movie, Moonrise Kingdom, is the movie that got me interest in cinema altogether). This movie is very quick-witted, risque, and quite shocking if you could imagine. A sort of American Hustle for 2014.

7. Big Hero 6

The first (but DEFINITELY not the last) animated movie on this list. I'm not too big on movies that can be easily predictable, but this movie did it right. The focus was not on those storylines but the characters that follow those storylines and what they go through to get there, which is what I feel most blockbusters lack. It is also the first movie that I could ever call lovable. Think about it: when was the last time you could call a movie not cute or likeable, but lovable?

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

For months, ever since the new Transformers movie came out (which, for personal reasons, I will not pay to see), I've tried to pinpoint what makes not just a mindless popcorn flick, but a GOOD one. After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, I can say that this is a definitive one. The Avengers was a stepping stone for popcorn flicks, but Guardians took a few steps further. There's something about the uncanny and carefree nature that I truly admire, and it's made better by the fact that it's even a bit arrogant at times with itself. I like it, and truly cannot wait for the sequel to come around. Marvel is on FIRE.

Note: Guardians was originally #5 on the list, but after thinking it over, I bumped it down for reasons explained in its successor.

5. How To Train Your Dragon 2

When it comes down to tone, I hate it when movies try to say more than they really mean: by taking a marketed 'adult' form and basically end up completely hollow by the end. Enter Dragon 2, a summer flick marketed as family and surprisingly was the most adult blockbuster [so to speak] all season. I stretch the word 'blockbuster' because while it technically made money, I hear practically no one talk about this movie. Why? Honestly, I'm not sure. It was advertised everywhere, and people did know about it. It feels like one of life's unanswered questions now.

I put this in the Top 5 not just because it's a perfectly made movie, but because it's one that deserves to be talked about. Guardians has people talking, and it has exactly what it deserves, too. But How To Train Your Dragon 2 has NOT reached that point. Not yet. I really hope it does.

4. Gone Girl

This was the second hardest movie I EVER had to sit through, the first being Requiem For A Dream. Both were emotionally exhausting and yet equally satisfying in cementing cold-hearted truths. Oh how I loved this movie's devious nature... ...and it pains me that I can't talk about it here without posting major spoilers. So, as hard as it'll be, I'll try summarize this in minor ones.

The true twist for me wasn't who was responsible for the crime committed in this movie: it was how far that person went and the extremes they took to keep the crime as convincing as ever possible. It goes so to nerve-wrecking degrees that it's borderline psychologically disturbing (an understatement, if you ask me). For the entire 2nd-half of the movie, I kept shaking on-and-off, and for another hour after the movie, it's THAT distressing. It's following by an ending which [MINOR SPOILER] is not an ending that's what we want, but one that was truthfully and ultimately inevitable.

Also, if you have a spouse, fiancee, boy/girlfriend or such, DO watch this movie with them. You'll see why.

3. The Lego Movie

This one was inevitable.

Actually, I initially didn't want to see this film because it felt like a complete Hollywood ploy. Then the critics' reaction came in... and I got curious (I know most people don't follow the critical POV, but I tend to agree with them at least 70% of the time).

What followed was something I never thought I'd see in a movie like this: Effort. Innovation. Passion. Wit. Joy. Awe. And the jokes came a mile a second. Until I began watching Archer four months later, this was the hardest I think I ever had laughed in my life. Many tears were both shed by laughter and the beauty of its ingenious message revealed at the end.

What more can I say? Everybody loves it, including myself. All that needs to be said already has been.

2. The Book of Life

Probably a crime to put this above the Lego Movie, but if I had to be biased with one movie on this list, it'd be this one. Though I sometimes prefer the complexities present in most films, at other times, I feel it's also best to savor the simplicities too, as demonstrated in the Book of Life.

The story is not a particularly grand one. But in my opinion, it doesn't need to be. It's essentially a fairy tale, one that even has a moral attached to it (which ingeniously integrates itself into the main plot). What it does dabble in with a complex manner is the animation, undoubtedly the best part of the film. The contrast with the simple story and complex visuals offset each other wonderfully.

I must give props to another if not overlooked aspect: the impeccable casting. More than half the actors in this film I knew. And yet, I did not recognize a SINGLE one when they spoke. Most fit the characters weirdly but also wonderfully. You want a taste of how it worked? Ice Cube, one of the most easily decipherable voices, had a role here, and I did not catch on until the end credits when his name showed up. That's a great sign of casting and voice directing.

An underrated gem, and though there were probably better films than this one, the Book of Life was the one I left with the biggest smile on my face for.

I'm now debating who I want as my BTVA profile picture now: Cyclonus or Xibalba?

1. Boyhood

From the moment I walked out of the theater, I knew that this would take the top spot, and I would be damned if there was ever one as good as this one for the rest of the year. If you don't believe in the hype of Guardians of the Galaxy, nor the hype of the Lego Movie, then at least believe in the hype of this one.

For the past 12 years, filmmaker Richard Linklater, over the combined total of approximately 30 days, took in the same cast to create the story of the life of a boy named Mason Evans Jr, from age 6 to age 18. What he puts together is a story that is uncompromising, unpredictable, unflinching, and above all else, untouchable. This is, at its very core, a story about life itself.

The movie lasts for nearly 3 hours, and strangely enough, it never felt long. The flow of the movie could not get any smoother. The characters are very much real, definitive people, and never feel anything like tools of manipulation to serve a basic plot. The story, while simple, faces several bumps along the way, most of them ending in anti-climactic or unresolved territory. But when you think about it, how many parts of your life felt anti-climatic or unresolved? That's the key of this movie's appeal: life moves on. It couldn't capture it any better if it tried, and I think Linklater understood that.

I will admit, though, that the movie's absolute strong point is its ending, which may catch some off guard, but honestly had cut not a second to late or soon. It ends with the lingering of a line spoken by Mason that he believes that he's learned by aging (I urge you NOT to try to find out what it is, because it is the best surprise of the movie). In my opinion, the entire movie builds up to the greatest 'trick' performed in the history of cinema.

Boyhood is a movie that I feel is for everyone, which is strange since most movies that try to appeal to everyone appeal to no one at the same time. Though I also believe those anywhere from 18 and over, this is a MUST-see, as you'll hopefully understand why. I was just about to turn 19 when I saw this, and I felt I was at a perfect age to appreciate it. It also teaches us a very important statement about cinema: the best movies can come not from what you want to see, but what you didn't know that you wanted to see. A statement I think a lot of people forget about and keeps them from truly enjoying what they watch.

After watching both this and re-watching 8 1/2, I'm going to have to revise my Top 10 of all time because I'm very sure they deserve to be there. I could talk on and on about Boyhood, because it is truly a marvel.

Whether on a personal or critical scale for me, Boyhood is one of the greatest film of all time.

Last edited by DreamMaster08X; 01-10-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2015   #18
electronic456

Ho dang. That is probably a better list than mine.

But that's just me. I'm usually a guy who would watch blockbusters, although I think The Babadook is the artsiest film I saw this year.
Old 01-10-2015   #19
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Best and Worst movies of 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic456 View Post
Ho dang. That is probably a better list than mine.

But that's just me. I'm usually a guy who would watch blockbusters, although I think The Babadook is the artsiest film I saw this year.
Actually, my list PROBABLY would've contained more movies like Birdman (and perhaps Babadook) if I had made the list a few months later, when most of those kinds of movies (the limited release ones) come out on Redbox. Boyhood and the Wind Rises (which, since it's techincally a 2013 flick, I kept off the list, but still give a major nod to) were the only ones of those kind that I saw.

Still, I do like the ones I have on the list enough that they may not get knocked off.

Old 01-10-2015   #20
electronic456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
Actually, my list PROBABLY would've contained more movies like Birdman (and perhaps Babadook) if I had made the list a few months later, when most of those kinds of movies (the limited release ones) come out on Redbox. Boyhood and the Wind Rises (which, since it's techincally a 2013 flick, I kept off the list, but still give a major nod to) were the only ones of those kind that I saw.

Still, I do like the ones I have on the list enough that they may not get knocked off.
I am pretty jelly that I don't have the movies you saw. I mean I absolutely predict the stuff on my top 10 like ASM2, Hercules, Godzilla and DBZ would be wiped off right now.

Last edited by electronic456; 01-10-2015 at 02:14 PM.