Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 11-06-2014   #1
Polyester Funk

Default "Masters of the Universe" (1987)

Any other fans of this movie? It's not a perfect movie, but I've always liked it. Frank Langella as Skeletor was definitely the highlight as I think he was wonderful, yet I think the other actors did well. Despite the problems behind the scenes with Cannon going down the tubes as they really didn't know how to make movies, I still think that this turned out well. I think that the make up and special effects look good despite not having a huge budget. Yes I would've liked to have seen more of Eternia, however said budget just didn't allow it to happen.

This film does seem to have a sort of cult following. Even people on IMDb like it and some people there seem to hate everything. There are a lot of sites I've seen that trash this film as if it's the worst thing ever made, but I don't get it. It has its flaws and it's not something I'd recommend to everyone, but I like it and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Frank Langella was amazing as Skeletor. He worked with the filmmakers to make his character someone that could exist in reality despite being a villain from a toy line and cartoon series. Frank's theater background gave him the chance to help meld Skeletor into a real character and not some silly baddie. I liked the character from the cartoon, but he was not a dude that seemed particularly scary, especially if he was adapted into live-action. He has a lot of Shakespearean dialogue that I just love to quote, which again comes from Frank's theater background. I know I'm gushing about it, but I just can't get enough.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 05-28-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Retitled.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #2
electronic456

Default Re: Masters of the Universe(1987 live-action movie)

For me as far as I remember, it's corny....
It makes me sad there was no Battle Cat animatronic in the movie.
This movie seemed to focus on the human characters more than the franchise based characters.... But whatever.... That would have to mean that I did not like stuff like the Transformer films.....

Still I recognise that fact it's a guilty pleasure. We all have ours.
E.g. The 1990 TMNT and 2014 TMNT movie for me.
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #3
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Dolph. Friggin'. Lundgren.

'NUFF SAID.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #4
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Masters of the Universe(1987 live-action movie)

Watched it once. I guess I didn't mind the 80's cheese in this movie, but I was actually quite bored in some parts. There's not a whole lot of memorability that stems from it, even from Langella (freakin' LANGELLA).

The only noteworthy [not automatically a good] thing about this movie is its willingness to follow after the shows.... .....er.... flamboyant nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Dolph. Friggin'. Lundgren.

'NUFF SAID.
In that outfit?

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #5
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
In that outfit?

You don't seem to understand that (circa 1980s) it was a sin not to have Dolph Lundgren in an outfit like that. :p
Old 11-06-2014   #6
DreamMaster08X

Post Re: Masters of the Universe(1987 live-action movie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
You don't seem to understand that (circa 1980s) it was a sin not to have Dolph Lundgren in an outfit like that. :p
Doesn't mean that it holds water now. And, well, I'm not really a Lundgren fan.

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo: so little time, so much to know!"
~Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph.D. - Yellow Submarine [1968]

Album of the Week: "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple
DreamMaster08X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #7
LordofEvil96

The big question to ask now is...should this be rebooted? I don't know if there's word on a reboot but I think Masters of the Universe deserves another chance in the spotlight with a movie or maybe a new cartoon or something.
Old 11-06-2014   #8
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaster08X View Post
Doesn't mean that it holds water now. And, well, I'm not really a Lundgren fan.
I'm not saying it holds water now. What I'm saying is that Dolph not wearing that outfit for the movie would've been a crime back in the day. You don't hire Lundgren in 1986 to play He-Man and get him to wear a boring, old, bland costume that covers up his physique.

Plus, it pretty much is a near-perfect translation of his animated costume, so points for them on that. MotU embraced the - as you put it - flamboyant nature of the franchise and for that, I love it.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 11-06-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Ghatdang spelling.
Old 11-07-2014   #9
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofEvil96 View Post
The big question to ask now is...should this be rebooted? I don't know if there's word on a reboot but I think Masters of the Universe deserves another chance in the spotlight with a movie or maybe a new cartoon or something.
There have been rumblings of a new movie for a few years now, but it's a property that doesn't seem to have many people clammering for it. The newest cartoon series didn't last very long and the current toys are sold online for adult collectors. It doesn't seem as if anyone who isn't already a fan would really be interested.

It may be wise to try and do a new cartoon first and see how that goes before jumping to make a movie. Although a lot of old cartoons and comic books have hit it big with a movie so it's not impossible, you just need to get good filmmakers and a good cast and obviously make a good movie that appeals to all kinds of audiences.

Some of the old stories for a new movie said that Adam would be a soldier from Earth who finds Eternia somehow and becomes He-Man. I really don't like that idea as I think it's been done before(John Carter which was based on a very old book and Avatar), I want to see a new film focused on Eternia and all of its alien stuff. They did Earth in the original simply because they didn't have the budget for an alien world. Now all of that stuff is possible and with the right special effects and people behind it a new movie could look really good. I'll take any news of a new film cautiously though cuz who knows what will happen.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014   #10
Starscreamsfan
Banned

I actually quite like it. Not as much as the live-action Street Fighter film, but quite close. I really enjoyed Langella's performance, and Jon Cypher was quite awesome and hilarious as Man-At-Arms, while Billy Barty is the perfect choice for Gwildor.

I also liked the villains. Karg, Blade, Saurod, Beastman and Evil-Lyn are well designed and properly developed (although Saurod is erased from existence).
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote