ANNOUNCEMENT: The BTVA server has moved servers and undergone major code changes. If you experience any issues, please report them here

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Nightmare Crusher

Default Transformers: Super-God Masterforce

Hi. I'm the crazy person who tried to figure out the cast of Headmasters' infamous English dub. Let's do this again, shall we?

This was apparently the first of the Omni dubs created and it's a rough one. I cannot emphasize enough how often voices change in this dub. They change from episode to episode. They change from scene to scene. Sometimes they even change from sentence to sentence. Even the main character's voice changes sometimes. It's a mess. The worst example of it is the Decepticon Fangry. He is voiced by every single male actor in the dub at least once. I am not kidding.

Anyway, in Masterforce there is primarily a cast of six actors, same as Headmasters. The first three are pretty self-evident if you've seen Headmasters, but the rest are a bit trickier.

1. Pierre Tremblay

Notable roles: Ginrai AKA Optimus Prime, Metalhawk, Dreadwind

Pierre does not have nearly as many roles as he did last time. The three I listed here are basically it for him. But he makes up for it in the prominence of his parts. Ginrai and Metalhawk are the two Autobot leaders in this show and the de facto main characters.

2. Simon Broad

Notable roles: Bomb-burst, Devil-Z, Scorponok, sometimes Ginrai

Simon does a lot of the heavy lifting in this dub. I'm fairly certain he has the most roles out of anyone here. Hard to mistake him for anyone else.

3. Rik Thomas

Notable roles: Overlord, Horri-Bull, Skullgrin

Rik... speaks for himself.

4. Mystery Man

Notable Roles: Siren, Submarauder, Fangry's most common voice, ALSO sometimes Ginrai

So... this guy. I've spent more time trying to figure out who the hell this guy is than I probably should. I have an idea of who he is, but I'm not certain about it. Let me explain.

While watching the show I noticed this voice.
https://streamable.com/anbj1

Which sounds an awful lot like this voice from Headmasters.
https://youtu.be/TjhCNGCK00M?t=213

So the easy answer is that this guy is Jack Murphy from Headmasters. But... I'm not really sure about that. It would make sense, but the issue is that aside from the examples I used there isn't a whole lot of overlap in their voices. You never hear a voice like, say, Jack's Scorponok in Masterforce and you never hear a voice like Siren's in Headmasters. So the best I can say is this guy might be Jack Murphy, but maybe not.

5. Actress who plays young boys.

Notable roles: Hosehead, Squeezeplay

I have absolutely no idea who this is. She is the one voice from this dub I can say with 100% certainty was not in Headmasters. I got nothin'.

6. Actress who plays women.

Notable roles: Nightbeat, Mega, Occasionally voices Squeezeplay

So this is the other actress in the dub. She happens to sound an awful lot like the actress who played Arcee and Daniel in Headmasters. I think there is a chance they're different people, their accents are somewhat different and the Masterforce actress' boy voices don't sound much like Daniel, but IDK for sure.

Something I can say for sure is that whether or not this is Arcee's actress, she IS the voice of Minmay from that Hong Kong Macross dub. Do with that info what you will.
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com.../Lynn-Minmay-/

It's a good nothing else surprising and upsetting happens with this dub.

Right?

Wrong.

7. The other actress who plays women.

Notable roles: Nightbeat, Mega

So... at some point in the middle of the series Nightbeat and Mega are suddenly played by a different actress. I first noticed this in episode 27, but it may have changed a few episodes before that since they had so few lines. Who is this? Why is she here? I have no idea. In episode 31 the original actress is back like nothing ever happened.

There also might one more.

In the early episodes Landmine/Lander sounds like he's been sedated. Since this voice is only heard in one other place, from some incidental newscaster in an early episode, I assumed this is Mystery Man just not giving a crap. It's possible that another person did this for a brief period before leaving the show though, which is why I bring it up.

That's about it. If you want to read my notes on the show, detailing every single voice and voice change in it, check this out. In this document I tentatively refer to Mystery Man as Jack, but that doesn't mean I am 100% certain it's him.
https://textuploader.com/11g95

"She asked to borrow some sweatpants. Does that mean anything?" -SNaG on life's greatest mysteries.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Cone_anne

Default Re: Transformers: Super-God Masterforce

Probably not very helpful, but there was once was a Youtube comment I saw on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxEKPxUsSU) saying Lynn Minmei was played by someone called Mimi Yeung who was apparently a newscaster in Hong Kong in the 70s and 80s. Very unverifiable nowadays but that’s all I could find regarding the Macross connection.
Cone_anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_anne View Post
Probably not very helpful, but there was once was a Youtube comment I saw on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxEKPxUsSU) saying Lynn Minmei was played by someone called Mimi Yeung who was apparently a newscaster in Hong Kong in the 70s and 80s. Very unverifiable nowadays but that’s all I could find regarding the Macross connection.
Obviously a Youtube comment could come from anyone, but an actual Hong Kong actor named Paul Evans commented on this video, independently confirming the Barry Haigh credit. So it is entirely possible that info is legit.
https://youtu.be/BLb9Z-qhW8M

EDIT: Huh? The comment seems to be gone now. That's weird. The description still includes thanks for him though.

"She asked to borrow some sweatpants. Does that mean anything?" -SNaG on life's greatest mysteries.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 1 Week Ago at 02:43 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
millicent

Quote:
There was a video on Daily Motion that compiled her voice roles (and I'm sure they are only a small amount) but its been removed since. I believe she stopped doing voice work by the late 80s
FWIW, I think I may have watched this video of Mimi a few years ago--on this Dailymotion account. I know that I saw at least one comp of an actress on this account, as I was quite chuffed that one of us rapscallions had finally identified one of the Hong Kong women. I'm certainly a geezer with these dubs and remember back when none of the Hong Kong dubbers were identified (and a good ten years away from that happening), so someone having made headways on the identities of the women shocked me...

Well, perhaps that's just it. Maybe they made a mistake... Considering that it's Dailymotion and the Yeung clip likely not removed for copyright reasons, the fact that the other (evidently well researched) role compilation videos are still up from the same account, and I wonder if maybe the Mimi Yeung lead was debunked, resulting in the person behind the account wanting to take it down.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
FWIW, I think I may have watched this video of Mimi a few years ago--on this Dailymotion account. I know that I saw at least one comp of an actress on this account, as I was quite chuffed that one of us rapscallions had finally identified one of the Hong Kong women. I'm certainly a geezer with these dubs and remember back when none of the Hong Kong dubbers were identified (and a good ten years away from that happening), so someone having made headways on the identities of the women shocked me...

Well, perhaps that's just it. Maybe they made a mistake... Considering that it's Dailymotion and the Yeung clip likely not removed for copyright reasons, the fact that the other (evidently well researched) role compilation videos are still up from the same account, and I wonder if maybe the Mimi Yeung lead was debunked, resulting in the person behind the account wanting to take it down.
That account appears to belong to the same guy who runs this channel on YouTube. There's two "Unidentified Hong Kong Voice Actress" videos; not sure if either is the actress in question.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Cone_anne

Recently rewatched a bit of the Return of Godzilla dub based on a comment’s claim saying this “Mimi Yueng” played Naoko in it, watching it again, it definitely sounded like both Minmay and Mega’s voices so at least it seems this woman wasn’t someone who did Dubbing as a one off thing. Though I think it’s best we refrain from attaching a name to her too quickly.

That Mystery Man guy sounds like a New Zealander, not much more I can comment on besides that. Speaking of Omni Productions, someone (ie: me) should probably put together a comparison video comparing the voices of John Culkin and Pierre considering how easily people seem to mix them up. I think the Transformers Wiki might still have John miscredited for all those Pierre roles.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_anne View Post
That Mystery Man guy sounds like a New Zealander, not much more I can comment on besides that.
That's actually an interesting observation. Simon Broad is himself a Kiwi. I wonder if there's some connection there.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Cone_anne

Just remembered Ted Thomas’ interview (https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2...ubbing-career/) where he named a couple people who were involved in his dubs during the Axis International days. He mentions Jack Murphy tangentially and refers to him as “American”. Although re-listening to Murphy’s samples on this site his accent really doesn’t strike me as American, can’t find much on Murphy outside the dubs he was in so I can’t be 100% sure what his birthplace was but Murphy’s accent sounds much more British/British Commonwealth than American. If that isn’t confusing enough there’s another American voice over artist called Jack Murphy living in New York, no doubt he’s unrelated (http://jackmurphyvoiceovers.com/). Perhaps Ted was confusing him with someone else?
Old 10 Hours Ago   #9
Cone_anne

I managed to find a video compilation of that Unknown female VA who was also in the Macross and Return of Godzilla dubs, not sure if this is by the same person as whoever runs the “That VHS Guy” or “The H Man” accounts but at least we know her roles now. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p3jd6