Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 01-05-2019   #1
whyofbladez

Default Magical Princess Minky Momo/Magical World of Gigi

Another rare dub by Intersound that only aired overseas. They also did the OVA, "Gigi & the Fountain of Youth", but given the crystalacids page pretty well has that covered, this is for the TV ones (the voice cast is different, save for the King and Gigi's Parents). Wish Devleen were still around, he has a good handle on the Intersound regulars; but he's gone quiet again and probably for the last time since he blanked a lot of his posts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGzuQflYExs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxDfeYVSsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKy8CIJkM4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhlrIvBioA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhO6sFAe4p8

Main
Gigi/Minky Momo - I belive this is Robin Levenson? I don't have too great a grasp on her voice, but I know she vaguely sounds like a higher-voiced Melanie MacQueen at times.
Bonkers - Tom Wyner, I think? (I think it's the same voice in the OVA too, credited as "Abe Hart", but it's hard to tell sometimes)
Coco - ?
Yum-Yum - ?
Gigi's Dad - Robert Barron
Gigi's Mom - Barbara Goodson
King - Steve Kramer
Queen - Melanie MacQueen
Narrator - Dan Woren

Episodic:
Don't have any Episode titles, so I'm just going with the YouTube titles.
Last Ep p2:
Becky - Rebecca Forstadt

X-Mas Episode:
Thief Lupin - Tom Wyner
Postal Worker - Mike Reynolds
Santa Claus - Ted Lehmann

The Cat has Died:
Major Jones - Steve Kramer
General - Mike Reynolds

Love Story:
Johnny - Tony Oliver

Richard Epcar and Ellyn Stern also have this on the resume, and Jan Rabson has claimed to have voiced about 3 characters on it. I have no handle on the latter two's voices.

Apparently dubbing shlockmeister legend William Winckler holds the current rights, and released this dub edited into several compilation films a few years ago.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019   #2
millicent

Default Re: Magical Princess Minky Momo/Magical World of Gigi

Gigi: Not Sure. Not Levenson.
Bonkers: Cliff Wells
Coco: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Cam Clarke at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Yum-Yum: Melanie MacQueen
Gigi's Dad: Robert Barron
Gigi's Mom: Not Goodson
King: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Steve Kramer at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Queen: Melanie MacQueen
Narrator: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Dan Woren at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Becky: Lara Cody
Thief Lupin: Tom Wyner
Postal Workers: Cam Clarke/Mike Reynolds
Santa Claus: Ted Lehmann
Major Jones: Steve Kramer
General: Mike Reynolds
Bob: Geg Snegoff
Tammy: Lara Cody

Pretty sure this kid is Levenson, and this guy is still Greg Snegoff, same as in the movie.
millicent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019   #3
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Gigi: Not Sure. Not Levenson.
Bonkers: Cliff Wells
Coco: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Cam Clarke at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Yum-Yum: Melanie MacQueen
Gigi's Dad: Robert Barron
Gigi's Mom: Not Goodson
King: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Steve Kramer at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Queen: Melanie MacQueen
Narrator: Jan Rabson before getting replaced by Dan Woren at some point when Rabson quit the show for whatever reason
Becky: Lara Cody
Thief Lupin: Tom Wyner
Postal Workers: Cam Clarke/Mike Reynolds
Santa Claus: Ted Lehmann
Major Jones: Steve Kramer
General: Mike Reynolds
Bob: Geg Snegoff
Tammy: Lara Cody

Pretty sure this kid is Levenson, and this guy is still Greg Snegoff, same as in the movie.
Thank you. I noticed that Jan Rabson left early on in Robotech too (which would've been recorded around the same time); I'm guessing he just flat out left Intersound for some reason.

The Cliff Wells one seems so obvious now that you mention it. So was the "Abe Hart" credited in the OVA also Wells? I was under the assumption that was Tom Wyner under a variation of his typical "Abe Lasser" psuedonym.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
whyofbladez

I took another listen, and I think I may have figured out who voiced Gigi.

I believe it to be Jehan Agrama; daughter of Harmony Gold founder Frank Agrama and current president of HG. There are two reasons.

1. Agrama has one other voice acting credit; way early in 1980 with Harmony Gold's first dub of the Korean "anime" film "Goldwing". Despite the beefed up cast list of 8 voice actors, the dub features only 3 voice actors (out of the fake credits three names are verifiably real: Robert Chamberlain (no doubt Ardwight Chamberlain), John Apicella and Jehan Agrama) - apart from that being clear with the poor vocal range, the BFI entry backs that up. To my ears, the voice of the main female character sounds remarkably similar to Gigi, albeit slightly lower and even more stilted.
2. Gigi was chosen as the new name for Minky Momo after Jehan Agrama's nickname; she even goes by the nickname in the end credits of "Robotech: The Movie". I don't think it's that much of a stretch that she'd also voice the character named after her.