Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Gaming Central > Upcoming Titles

Upcoming Titles Catch up on the hype surrounding the latest upcoming Video Games.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
The Doctor

Default Re: Marvel/Square Enix's Avengers Project

The teaser and the cast list have me mixed.

I usually don't place too much stock on the graphics (I appreciate them when they look good, but can live with subpar ones, if the gameplay is great) and get annoyed when hardcore gamers turn them into the end-all-and-be-all of the discourse of any given game, but even I have to admit that those character models don't look great. It's obvious that they wanted to evoke the MCU designs/actors, but didn't want to model them completely (either for legal/cost reasons or because this isn't technically a MCU tie-in), so it's like they bought some cheap bootleg action figures and used them as their basics for the in-game models. But the action scenes still look fun and if the gameplay in on point, I'm sure that I can get used to the wonky designs.

As for the cast, I mostly like it. Nolan North is natural choice for Tony Stark, but thankfully isn't there just to do forced RDjr. impersonation (even though I'm sure that they take influences from his Tony Stark's personality), Bruce Banner is fun change of pace for Troy Baker, who so often gets typecast as either cool or grizzled action heroes, not to mention how interesting it's going to be to see how he does as the Hulk, and Jeff Schine is a solid pick for Cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
Nolan as Tony is such a genius casting choice that I'm wondering why no one has capitalized on it before.
*Ahem* Actually...

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com...tive/Iron-Man/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Quite frankly I'm surprised people here are so down on Travis and Laura. Both of them are amazing actors who've got tons of performance capture experience, and the chemistry with them, Troy, and Nolan is guaranteed to be electric. For a game that's all about working as a team, that seems really important. Casting them would make total sense even if they hadn't played them before. As well, just because they're from AA doesn't mean they themselves are poorly cast. If anything, this should be a great chance for them to actually get to spread their wings and show their stuff. Great example: Yuri and Travis played Spidey and Kingpin before, but only when they got to Spidey PS4 did they TRULY crush it. Normally I wouldn't be interested in the game so I'm surprised I am, and a big part of it is just because I have total faith this cast is going to nail it.
To be fair, Travis has voiced Thor in 20 titles and Laura Widow in 14 titles so far. Sure, it is completely possible that this is finally the project were all the pieces are placed correctly and they hit these roles out of the park, but I do think that it is completely fair for people to be skeptical and unexcited. Also, Yuri's Spider-Man and Travis' Kingpin, in my opinion, aren't good comparisons, since Travis only voiced Kingpin in one thing before the PS4 game, so people didn't really have a strong opinions about him, all the while I remember a lot of people saying from day one that Yuri could be a great Spider-Man, if given a chance to shine, which is very different from the general unenthusiasm (if not downright dislike) of Travis and Laura as Thor and Black Widow.

Personally, I'm fine with Laura getting one more chance at Widow, since, on paper at least, she is a good casting choice for the role and out of everyone from AA cast, she has been hurt most by the material or, to be more precise, lack of thereof. Travis, on the other hand, inherently sounds more like he is doing a parody of Thor (it tells you somehting when he feels the most fitting in the Lego game) and I'm not sure that a good script can fix that.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Speaking of Ray, here's hoping he's in here somewhere. Honestly I would've probably cast him as Thor instead of Travis.
Dang, now that you've put that idea into my head I wish I could hear that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Wasn't he also Iron Man in the test footage for EMH? I thought I recall that being him.
Quote:
To be fair, Travis has voiced Thor in 20 titles and Laura Widow in 14 titles so far. Sure, it is completely possible that this is finally the project were all the pieces are placed correctly and they hit these roles out of the park, but I do think that it is completely fair for people to be skeptical and unexcited. Also, Yuri's Spider-Man and Travis' Kingpin, in my opinion, aren't good comparisons, since Travis only voiced Kingpin in one thing before the PS4 game, so people didn't really have a strong opinions about him, all the while I remember a lot of people saying from day one that Yuri could be a great Spider-Man, if given a chance to shine, which is very different from the general unenthusiasm (if not downright dislike) of Travis and Laura as Thor and Black Widow.

Personally, I'm fine with Laura getting one more chance at Widow, since, on paper at least, she is a good casting choice for the role and out of everyone from AA cast, she has been hurt most by the material or, to be more precise, lack of thereof. Travis, on the other hand, inherently sounds more like he is doing a parody of Thor (it tells you somehting when he feels the most fitting in the Lego game) and I'm not sure that a good script can fix that.
I do find it kind of funny that Laura is once again playing a redheaded main character in a AAA Marvel game.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Wasn't he also Iron Man in the test footage for EMH? I thought I recall that being him.
As far as I know, Iron Man's voice in that was never confirmed, but I might have missed that. Personally, I was always convinced that it was Marc Worden reprising the role from the Marvel direc-to-DVD animated movies, since it sounded just like him and Yost & Kyle seemed to like brinning back actors from those whenever possible.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Superfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pZoPjMY3Ws

More footage of the Hank Pym segment. Can anyone tell who's voicing Pym, or no?
Superfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pZoPjMY3Ws

More footage of the Hank Pym segment. Can anyone tell who's voicing Pym, or no?
...Alan Tudyk?
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Superfan

Sounds like Danny Jacobs
Superfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

I'm pleased with the VAs taking a crack at characters they've never (or rarely, in the case of Nolan) voiced before. As the Dream Cast forum shows, there's so many awesome casting ideas that have yet to be utilized because they're just so many reprisals. The cast looks great so far, and although I have no qualms with Travis as Thor and Laura as Widow, I have to parrot the others and say that I wish they had gone with other VAs.

Also, I can dig the designs. Glad they didn't just do a rip-off of the MCU aesthetic.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Also, I can dig the designs. Glad they didn't just do a rip-off of the MCU aesthetic.
I dunno. They're not wholesale ripping off the MCU like, say, the cartoons do but they're similar enough to where it's not as much of a clean break as it should be in my opinion.

Although MCU Cap's never looked like a riot cop cosplaying as Captain America...
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I dunno. They're not wholesale ripping off the MCU like, say, the cartoons do but they're similar enough to where it's not as much of a clean break as it should be in my opinion.

Although MCU Cap's never looked like a riot cop cosplaying as Captain America...
I'll concede that if the designs had to lean to either "MCU inspired" or "comic inspired", it's clearly the former. But considering how much they could've just copied-and-pasted the designs and costumes from the movies, this is a breath of fresh air. Like you said, Riot Cop Captain America, man.

Even the fact that their Ant-Man is Hank Pym (and a young Hank Pym at that) and doesn't resemble Paul Rudd is a step in the right direction.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
NCZ
Not The Only Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
I'll concede that if the designs had to lean to either "MCU inspired" or "comic inspired", it's clearly the former. But considering how much they could've just copied-and-pasted the designs and costumes from the movies, this is a breath of fresh air. Like you said, Riot Cop Captain America, man.

Even the fact that their Ant-Man is Hank Pym (and a young Hank Pym at that) and doesn't resemble Paul Rudd is a step in the right direction.
You know, it's funny, I keep seeing people make MCU comparisons, but funny enough, even as someone who doesn't really care for the MCU or follow comics in general, that's something that personally wasn't on my brain. But the fact that it's a realistic art style alone brings about MCU comparisons, even though this game so far seems unconnected. Like, MVCI for example was really blatant with its relationship to the MCU, but I don't think the art style was the root of that. That kind of thing goes beyond looks, so I hope that the story and the characters we see genuinely establish themselves as standalone. They showed Taskmaster and that's a decent start.

I do think it would have been interesting if they went all the way and scanned the actors' faces to maybe lessen that comparison. Right now, characters like Bruce and Black Widow are in that zone where their actual faces don't look like Troy or Laura's, but their expressions do. The same thing happened with them in Uncharted 4 and it was a very surreal effect.

Last edited by NCZ; 1 Week Ago at 03:38 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote