Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 04-20-2019   #201
NCZ
Not The Only Admin

Default Re: Dragon Ball Z: Miscellaneous Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Gotta figure there's probably a fitting thread in the archives, but in lieu of searching for it, I'll just start a new one if that's okay...

Was just wanting to bring up some Vancouver points that have been on my mind for a while:

1. Nail. - Is that clip not Ward Perry?

2. The issue of Doug Parker. While he was credited for 1-53, I'm not so sure on the whole notion of him returning later on. All the roles that I know that are linked to him sound to me like someone else. Grand Kai for example just sounds to me like Paul Dobson. Seemed like Parker was more focused on voice direction by that point, and most of his acting work seemed to be cameo-type parts done for Klassen, the two of them being old buddies apparently.

3. Dende. This has been brought up before. Andrew Francis has confirmed that he played him when he was very young. I think we can safely say that was 1-53 Dende, heard here. But when Dende came back to take over as Kami, it was clearly someone else, probably swithcing child actors due to Francis' voice having changed. And then Dende sounded different yet again a year later during the Buu arcs, though it could have just been the second Dende reprising--with a matured voice.

I tried looking into child actors from the appropriate time periods a while back, but I didn't have much luck. Rhy Huber in Cardcaptors doesn't sound like a match to me. Other actors that jumped to mind like Reece Thompson and Danny McKinnon also didn't yield anything IIRC. Such a hard thing to do research on, as the time between production and release makes it hard to tell what a child actor actually sounded like in a given year.

4. Baba. Here and elsewhere lists Ellen Kennedy (credited for 1-53 and unmistakably plays Princess Snake); however, here lists it to Elan Ross Gibson. This source has usually been pretty reliable in the past, and comparing Ocean pre-Drummond Baba to Kennedy's defining role in Maison Ikkoku and to Gibson's defining role in Ranma, I'm inclined to agree. Harsher than Baba for sure, but a closer match than Kennedy.

5. Gregory (Saiyan Saga). Currently listed to Doug Parker, who is credited for 1-53 and most definitely plays one of the Ogres (the one not played by Matt Smith), but again, here links it to Alvin Sanders. And while I can't find a great comparison clip, and it is of the performance variety that's so strained that it's not impossible for Parker to have done it, but making a clip of it now, I can hear it through the strain. Maybe Popo didn't have too many lines in that episode batch. I could definitely see them not thinking Gregory would recur very often (not that he does really...) and just handed it to an actor who was already in the booth.

Could swear I had some other things, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Oh well, this should be enough for now.

Breaking down the creds listed here:

Nail: Ward Perry
Grand Kai: Paul Dobson
Older Dende: Not Andrew Francis
Baba: Elan Ross Gibson
Gregory: Alvin Sanders

FWIW I think this all checks out. I can back Gregory, Grand Kai, and Nail for sure. I don't know Ellen Kennedy or Elan Gibson at all but Baba does sound closer to the latter to me. Wish I could offer any ideas for Dende though.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-20-2019 at 03:36 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #202
tmnisaac

Default Re: Dragon Ball Voices - Canadian Cast

Trouble on Aria

Arlia Clip 1

Arlian Guard 1: Scott McNeil (1:53-2:12)

Arlian Guard 2: Paul Dobson (2:18-2:26)

Arlia Clip 2

Cleaning Machine Driver: Terry Klassen (0:41-1:38)

Arlia Clip 3

Arlian Guard 3: Sounds like Paul Dobson (0:46-0:56)

Arlian Prisoner 1: Paul Dobson (0:59-1:01)

Arlian Prisoner 2: Scott McNeil (1:01-1:04)

Arlian Prisoner 3: Michael Dobson (1:05-1:09)

Greger: Paul Dobson (2:01-2:30)

Arlia Clip 4

Arlian Guard: Michael Dobson (1:09-1:14)

Lesoy: Scott McNeil (2:00-2:12)

Arlian Elite Warrior 1: Scott McNeil (2:45-2:46)

Arlian Elite Warrior 2: Brian Drummond (2:55-2:56)

Arlia Clip 5

Arlian Elite Warrior 3: I think this sounds like Richard Newman (1:32-1:34)

Arlia Clip 6

Saiyan Computer: Cathy Weseluck (1:28-1:34)

Last edited by tmnisaac; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:40 PM.
tmnisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #203
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnisaac View Post
Trouble on Aria

Arlia Clip 1

Arlian Guard 1: Scott McNeil (1:53-2:12)

Arlian Guard 2: Paul Dobson (2:18-2:26)

Arlia Clip 2

Cleaning Machine Driver: Terry Klassen (0:41-1:38)
Agreed on all counts.

Quote:
Arlia Clip 3

Arlian Guard 3: Sounds like Paul Dobson (0:46-0:56)

Arlian Prisoner 1: Paul Dobson (0:59-1:01)

Arlian Prisoner 2: Scott McNeil (1:01-1:04)

Arlian Prisoner 3: Brian Drummond (1:05-1:09)

Greger: Paul Dobson (2:01-2:30)
Agreed on the guard and Greger. Prisoner 1 sounds more like Ward Perry to me. 2 is too cartoony for me to tell. 3 is Michael Dobson.

Quote:
Arlia Clip 4

Arlian Guard: Brian Drummond maybe? (1:09-1:14)

Lesoy: Scott McNeil (2:00-2:12)

Arlian Elite Warrior 1: Scott McNeil (2:45-2:46)

Arlian Elite Warrior 2: Brian Drummond (2:55-2:56)
Guard's M. Dobson.

Lesoy is short, but yeah sounds real Dinobot-esque.

Elite Warriors are too short.

Quote:
Arlia Clip 5

Arlian Elite Warrior 3: I think this sounds like Richard Newman (1:32-1:34)

Saiyan Computer: Cathy Weseluck (1:28-1:34)
Warrior's too short. Can't find the computer.

Boy, listening to these sure brings back memories of how much they recycled the main cast for incidental parts in 1-53. Remember that old doctor in charge of Goku's recovery post-Saiyan Saga? Also played by Corlett, of course, with Master Roshi in many of the same scenes for added measure.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #204
millicent

Default Re: Dragon Ball Z: Miscellaneous Vancouver

Quote:
Culd swear I had some other things, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Oh well, this should be enough for now.
Just came to me. The issue of Peter Kelamis as Roshi. While Kelamis taking over as Goku is long since settled and confirmed (despite Kelamis never being credited in the TV dub to my knowledge) the assumption that he also took over for Roshi has never sat right with me. Again, it's hard for me to link to this stuff, but just check out the Roshi voice compare. The aforementioned CrystalAcids source links it to Richard Newman, and while I can't think of any similar performances (closest is the alien he played in those Project A-ko OVAs I think) it does sound more probable than Kelamis, who I just don't hear at all, even given how cartoony the performance. I believe that clip in the voice compare is the sole extent of Post-Corlett, Pre-Klassen Roshi (for the TV show anyway).

Also, if it were Kelamis, why didn't he continue when they had to resume the dub for can-con reasons at the end of the Trunks Saga? He was already reprising Goku, and they seemed to have gotten everyone back--barring those that would leave eventually due to the aggressive schedule. And yet, it was Klassen from the very moment they picked the dub back up again.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #205
tmnisaac

Quote:
Prisoner 1 sounds more like Ward Perry to me. 2 is too cartoony for me to tell. 3 is Michael Dobson.
1. Which part sounds like Ward Perry to you?

2. The stitch voice reminded me of Scott's Blanka but pitched to extreme levels.

3. Ok I can hear Michael's Cobra Commander on him.

Quote:
Guard's M. Dobson.

Lesoy is short, but yeah sounds real Dinobot-esque.

Elite Warriors are too short.

1. I knew It sounded familiar but it didn't connect till I heard his second line

2. The 1st elite warrior by the way he said fire sounded like Dinobot without a reptile vibe to it.

3. I wanna say the 2nd one by the way he said "the"

Quote:
Warrior's too short. Can't find the computer.
1. It's the way he said "attack" that sounded like Richard to me.

2.Whoops wrong clip here's the real video with the Saiyan computer my bad.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #206
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnisaac View Post
1. Which part sounds like Ward Perry to you?
It's really short, and he's the only one in the cast I can really hear. I just can't hear the Dobson in it

Quote:
. The stitch voice reminded me of Scott's Blanka but pitched to extreme levels.
Not really familiar with his Blanka. Listening to it now, it sounds to me like that kind of voice that sounds the same almost no matter who does it. Wasn't Don Brown's Kibito basically this same stock voice?

Quote:
2.Whoops wrong clip here's the real video with the Saiyan computer my bad.
Yeah, totally.

All the rest you could totally be right on. Just too short for me to hear anything. Thanks for the thoroughness.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #207
tmnisaac

Quote:
It's really short, and he's the only one in the cast I can really hear. I just can't hear the Dobson in it
Got ya.

Quote:
Not really familiar with his Blanka. Listening to it now, it sounds to me like that kind of voice that sounds the same almost no matter who does it. Wasn't Don Brown's Kibito basically this same stock voice?
You know what you're not wrong! Now that I think about it that voice is identical to Mino and The Dragonlord.

Quote:
All the rest you could totally be right on. Just too short for me to hear anything. Thanks for the thoroughness.
No problem
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #208
Nightmare Crusher

Not that it matters all too much given that his dialogue is almost nonexistent, but if Arlian Prisoner 2 is who I think it is ("Ugly bunch") that sounds far less like the stock Doctor Claw voice and more like raspy Waspinator to me.

"She asked to borrow some sweatpants. Does that mean anything?" -SNaG on life's greatest mysteries.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #209
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Not that it matters all too much given that his dialogue is almost nonexistent, but if Arlian Prisoner 2 is who I think it is ("Ugly bunch") that sounds far less like the stock Doctor Claw voice and more like raspy Waspinator to me.
Yeah, having slept on it, I totally agree that it's the Waspinator voice, but I kind of think that voice is in itself sort of a stock voice. They're actually both pretty easy to imitate fairly accurately--especially in short bursts-to the point that some of the uncredited IDs made over the years of Welker due simply to the Dr. Claw voice popping up in something (not on BtVA, mind you) has always left me a bit leery.

But like you say, given that we're just identifying and and all the miniutiae of the "bits and walla," it's really not that important and just a good bit of fun.
Old 6 Days Ago   #210
millicent

Default Bluewater GT Chi-Chi

Always been meaning to go back and address the issue of Bluewater GT Chi-Chi... It's been listed to Debbie Munro for years, my doing, and I think I botched it way back when.

Back when I added this stuff online (mid 2007) is essentially the dawn of us type folks realizing that gross miscredits did occur and that the cast credits of dub anime couldn't always be trusted to credit the right actor. Dubs of around the era like Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, DearS, and Paranoia Agent were littered with instances of the wrong actors being credited, the result of the credit sequences being completed before the dub was wrapped. When they changed casting choices the budget and/or schedule wouldn't budge for producing corrected credit sequences.

There were a few others from the era that I can't recall that had the same thing... Starship Operators, I think, for one. But in any case, it left us all being skeptical of trusting the horse's mouth. So when the cast credits for the Bluewater GT dub credited the following female cast members (in credited order):
JENNIFER HOLDER
PASCALE HUTTON
CAITLYN MEDRECK [sic]
DEBBIE MUNRO
KRISTIN NOWOSAD
KRIS RUNDLE (a.k.a. Onalea Gilbertson)
ZOE SLUSAR
MARIETTE SLUYTER

...and Jennifer Holder, Caitlynne Medrek, Debbie Munro, Kristin Nowosad, Gilbertson, Slusar and Sluyter all playing other characters (confirmed via Medrek and Munro's sites and vocal similarity to other confirmed roles of the others), the notion of who Pascale Hutton played emerged.

Chi-Chi was the biggest question at that point. In mid 2007 the only other unidentified characters (at that time) were Princess Otto (identified a year or so later when I got a hold of Banner of the Stars II and first heard Lana Harwood's Lala Shangal) and Jennifer Bain as Frieza (confirmed three or four years ago now, I think, via similarity to her confirmed turn as the video game version of Devil Dog). Even with those two unknown, it seemed unlikely that the cast credits, which seem to only cover the early episodes, (leaving out major characters from later on like the Hunter brothers as Baby and Oob, Jennifer Bain's 18, Dan Gascon's Krillin, et cetera) [meanwhile crediting bit players like Doug McKeag, Onalea, and Mariette Sluyter who basically only appear in the early episodes] would leave out Chi-Chi.

There were no other unidentified women in these early episodes (about 1 to 15 is what I assume the credits cover--crediting Kevin Tokarsky, Ethan Cole, and Corby Proctor presumably is meant to cover them playing the Para brothers). I don't even recall hearing women in the walla group that I didn't recognize--other than Chi-Chi.

So Pascale Hutton seemed like the most likely candidate. However, when I tracked down the one film role I could find of her in Ginger Snaps: Unleashed, it was so plainly different than what Bluewater GT Chi-Chi sounds like--that I had to consider the possibility that the credits screwed up, and the very young-sounding voice in Ginger Snaps didn't make the final cut of GT. In hindsight, (and it's eerie how much I remember the film role now) that character was played very breathy and atmospherically (it being a moody live action horror film where the peppy, chirpy sound of the GT dub's acting would be way off) and was stoned for most of the character's vocal appearance.

Looking at a recent clip of Pascale Hutton on an EPK-type thing, using her natural voice, and while there are differences to Chi-Chi certainly I can still hear a similarity--especially in the very Canadian-sounding vowels. We might just be able to chalk this one up to another case of "duh! actors are good, silly!," especially given Hutton's having little known other voicework. She appears to predominately work in film and TV, so the inability to find anything that sounds exactly like Chi-Chi isn't that farfetched considering. Some actors sound quite different between the two media.

Also I suppose it needs to be taken into consideration that Chi-Chi, like all those casting choices, were voice matches to the Vancouver Z cast. GT, like G and Zeta Gundam, began casting and pre-production in Vancouver. Here's a copy of the letter from Westwood to the UBCP when the latter (the Vancouver actor's union) was slow to respond to a question of contract interpretation.) Presumably YTV and CNX couldn't budge on the airdates, and Ocean was forced to move things over to Bluewater, where ACTRA/UBCP regulations were a non-issue.

But back to Hutton, Bluewater Chi-Chi would have been a voicematch for Laara Sadiq's Chi-Chi and not necessarily Hutton's natural instinct for the character. I think this also explains why Kristin Nowosad's Bulma sounds like it's straining so hard to sound like an older France Perras or Jennifer Bain's distinctive voice for 18 is probably an effort to find as close a match for Enuka Okuma as they could find in their talent pool.

All these things considered, I think it was Pascale Hutton as Bluewater Chi-Chi all along. Also, Debbie Munro's websites/voice123 profile have only listed her as ever playing Mai, and she's had that information up for a long while now. I always just assumed she (appearing to not work so much in animation) mistakenly left it out.