Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > General Movie Discussion

General Movie Discussion Discuss and review the latest movies you've seen! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41
The Doctor

Default Re: "Pokémon: Detective Pikachu" (2019)

This was a fun and entertaining movie that will not change the hearts and minds of people, but is a good start for a potential Pokemon cinematic universe. For context, I'm speaking as someone who has warm memories of Pokemon from his childhood, but hasn't been part of the fandom since said childhood and went to see this movie 70% for Ryan Reynolds, 20% for the curiosity and 10% for being able to see it for free anyway, so I'm not the main target demographic for this movie, but I also didn't have strong biases or expectations one way or another either.

I used to think that a live-action Pokemon movie would never work, mostly from design/effects point-of-view, but besides few weaks spots here and there, Pokemons themselves look solid and my suspension of disbelief was able to buy the world of the movie without major problems.

Ryan Reynolds was fun as the title character, even if it was sometimes little too easy to tell which lines were improvised by him, and he brought actual heart to the role, besides the humor.

What I really liked was that this was first live-action Hollywood kids movie in years that didn't talk down to the kids, was no way painful to watch as an adult and had genuine heart. No forced popculture references, no pandering to the "cool kids" and no low-brow potty humor (well, OK, they had one fart joke, but it went by quick and they didn't draw attention to it). It didn't feel like the director, writers or even producers ever said "it's for kids, we don't need to put actual effort into it", while making this. Granted, the plot is little cookie-cutter and clichéd, but that is the one aspect where I can cut a little slack by "it's for kids" - logic. Not saying that it isn't nice when a movie can suprise both kids and adults, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with this potentially being some kids first exposure to these clichés. If I had young kids, nephews or nieces of my own, I would have no problem with showing this to them over something like the live-action Alvin and Chipmunks movies or Bayformers.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
Troodon2

Default Re: "Pokémon: Detective Pikachu" (2019)

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd see Jessica (Gee) George, Sean Chiplock, Jon Olson, and Freddy T. were the ones who primarily did the pokemon vocal effects
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote