Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Gaming Central > Upcoming Titles

Upcoming Titles Catch up on the hype surrounding the latest upcoming Video Games.

Old 01-22-2019   #91
DisneyAnimefan1995

Post Re: Kingdom Hearts III

Quite surprised and somewhat disapointed that the Twilight Town Gang (Hayner, Pence and Olette) have new actors in Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm also disapointed, but at the same time perplexed that Mandy Moore didn't came back to voice Rapunzel, given that she has been the main voice for her the majority of her appearances since Tangled. Perhaps her work schedule/availability (as she is still doing the TV series of Tangled and "This is Us") might've prevented her to come back to voice Rapunzel or she wasn't asked by Square Enix, but who's to say. Whoever is voicing Rapunzel in the game will do a decent job (from the previous trailers we got I was actually fooled into thinking it was Mandy Moore).

I'd say that once we get soundclips from KH3 the voice compare section would be interesting.

Also guess the VAST majority of you deserve a big pat on the back and a basket of cookies for guessing right on Drake Bell voicing Young Eraqus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
Alain aside, Rutger sounds really bland as Xehanort in the trailers. I guess it's good they're not using Corey Burton.
Or Jim Cummings.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #92
thomwim

Default Re: Kingdom Hearts III

Thanks, Confused Phantom.

Among the credited actors, these are my best guesses:
Eva Bella: Young Elsa (myself)
Jeff Bennett: Merlin (myself)
Soso Bianchi: Little girl (IMDb)
Paul Briggs: Marshmallow (myself)
Katie Lopez: Young Anna (singing voice)
JP Manoux: Randall Boggs (myself)
Leslie Miller: Tia Dalma (DAF)
Joe Ochman: Jiminy Cricket: (DAF)
Bret Parker: Trailer Mom (DAF)
Jeff Pidgeon: Someone in Pixar; it was the little green men (DAF)
Delaney Rose Stein: Young Rapunzel (DAF)
Livvy Stubenrauch: Young Anna (myself)

Unmatched among the Disney talents so far are David Kaye, Kelsey Lansdowne, Aidan McGraw, Piotr Michael, Enn Reitel, Roger Craig Smith, Amelia Stanger, Katie Von Till and Mick Wingert.

(and thanks to you too, DisneyAnimefan1995).

Last edited by thomwim; 01-24-2019 at 09:42 AM.
thomwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #93
The Doctor

I guess it makes sense to replace a sci-fi legend with another, not to mention that Hauer is great character actor, but based on the few snippets we have heard of him, he isn't too impressive. Granted, I don't think anyone could have followed up on Leonard Nimoy and not fall short in comparison, but it's still little disappointing.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #94
DisneyAnimefan1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
Thanks, Confused Phantom.

Unmatched among the Disney talents so far are Eva Bella, Jeff Bennett, Soso Bianchi, Paul Briggs, Kelsey Lansdowne, Katie Lopez, JP Manoux, Aidan McGraw, Piotr Michael, Leslie Miller, Joe Ochman, Bret Parker, Jeff Pidgeon, Enn Reitel, Amelia Stanger, Delaney Rose Stein, Livvy Stubenrauch, Katie Von Till and Mick Wingert.

Among the credited actors, these are my best guesses:
Eva Bella: Young Elsa
Jeff Bennett: Merlin
Paul Briggs: Marshmallow
JP Manoux: Randall Boggs
Jeff Pidgeon: Someone in Monsters Inc
Livvy Stubenrauch: Young Anna
Pretty sure Joe Ochman is Jiminy Cricket as he took over the role from Phil Snyder since the Re: Coded cinematic cutscenes from the HD 2.5 collection.

Jeff Pidgeon provided voice for the Little Green Men (Toy Story), Bret Parker is the Trailer Mom from Monster's Inc. when she used the shovel to hit Randall, and Delaney Rose Stein is Young Rapunzel (but more than likely it's archival audio of her voice from the film).

Aidan McGraw is probably Roo or Lumpy from the Winnie the Pooh world and Leslie Miller is without a doubt Tia Dalma and not Julianne Buescher this time.

David Kaye is more than likely the Narrator in the opening Cutscene in Olympus as his voice sounds very reminiscent to his narration.

Tom Kenny apparently voices Rabbit who took over the role since the 2011 film and after Ken Samson passed away.

Surprisingly enough John Kassir nor David Tennant voice Scrooge McDuck, so perhaps it's Enn Reitel voicing him given the actor is also Scottish like Scrooge.

Katie Lopez (daughter of Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez) is the singing voice for Anna for "Do you Want to Build a Snowman", and Kelsey Lansdowne might be Rapunzel.

Roger Craig Smith and Mick Wingert might be characters for either the Monster's Inc., Toy Story, or Pirates world. With Mick probably voicing Lord Cutler Beckett (PotC) as he has ominously teased about voicing someone "lurking" in The Caribbean

Not sure about Amelia Stanger, Piotr Michael and Katie Von Till and which characters they voiced frankly.

As for the Additional voices (Chris Jai Alex, Gideon Emery, Tara Platt, Patrick Seitz, Greg Chun, Cristina Vee, Michelle Ruff etc..) more than likely they are voicing the NPC's that are in the worlds of Olympus, Twilight Town, Kingdom of Corona, San Fransokyo and The Caribbean respectively.

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 1 Week Ago at 07:54 AM. Reason: Updating Cast
Old 01-23-2019   #95
thomwim

Thanks, Disney Anime Fan. Tom Kenny is already on the game's BTVA page, and I've added your matchups onto my own post.

Julian Zane, Soso Bianchi and Andre Robinson are younger actors, so their characters are also young. Soso Bianchi is listed on the IMDb as having voiced a "little girl".

Don't know who Remy Edgerly is, but he's probably related to Chris.

Last edited by thomwim; 01-24-2019 at 09:41 AM.
thomwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #96
DisneyAnimefan1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwim View Post
Thanks, Disney Anime Fan. Tom Kenny is already on the game's BTVA page, and I've added your matchups onto my own post.

Julian Zane, Soso Bianchi and Andre Robinson are younger actors, so their characters are also young. Soso Bianchi is listed on the IMDb as having voiced a "little girl".

Don't know who Remy Edgerly is, but they're probably related to Chris.
Much obliged.

Yes Remy Edgerly is related to Chris Edgerly and apparently it's his son. Turns out their was a tweet by Edgerly since November regarding Remy doing lines at Skylark Sound (the studio responsible for the KH games).
Old 01-24-2019   #97
Abdullab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAnimefan1995 View Post
Pretty sure Joe Ochman is Jiminy Cricket as he took over the role from Phil Snyder since the Re: Coded cinematic cutscenes from the HD 2.5 collection.

Jeff Pidgeon provided voice for the Little Green Men (Toy Story), Bret Parker is the Trailer Mom from Monster's Inc. when she used the shovel to hit Randall, and Delaney Rose Stein is Young Rapunzel (but more than likely it's archival audio of her voice from the film).

Aidan McGraw is probably Roo or Lumpy from the Winnie the Pooh world and Leslie Miller is without a doubt Tia Dalma and not Julianne Buescher this time.

David Kaye is more than likely Lord Cutler Beckett (PotC) as he has previously voiced villains from cartoons and video games with a calm villainous British accent.

Tom Kenny apparently voices Rabbit who took over the role since the 2011 film and after Ken Samson passed away.

Surprisingly enough John Kassir nor David Tennant voice Scrooge McDuck, so perhaps it's Enn Reitel voicing him given the actor is also Scottish like Scrooge.

Katie Lopez (daughter of Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez) is the singing voice for Anna for "Do you Want to Build a Snowman", and Kelsey Lansdowne might be Rapunzel.

Roger Craig Smith and Mick Wingert might be characters for either the Monster's Inc., Toy Story, or Pirates world.

Not sure about Amelia Stanger, Piotr Michael and Katie Von Till and which characters they voiced frankly.

As for the Additional voices (Chris Jai Alex, Gideon Emery, Tara Platt, Patrick Seitz, Greg Chun, Cristina Vee, Michelle Ruff etc..) more than likely they are voicing the NPC's that are in the worlds of Olympus, Twilight Town, Kingdom of Corona, San Fransokyo and The Caribbean respectively.
Well now that we have Kaye in Kingdom Hearts i can only hope should they have Shan Yu in the games again they use him to voiceover since with Strech Monster and Vandal Savage he has proven himself to be a great successor to Miguel Ferrer
Abdullab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019   #98
The Doctor

I finally finished playing KH3. I know that I'm little late to the party, but I simply have very little free time for gaming (job, taking care of my dog and my theater hobby take most of the hours of my days), but I'm finally done and would like to share my thoughts and hear yours too.

Before I start, I probably should tell briefly how I feel about the franchise as a whole, so you have some context for my thoughts on this game. The original Kingdom Hearts is one of my childhood favorites, even though I literally didn't understand anything (it came out before I started to learn English at school and it wasn't subbed or dubbed into Finnish) and got stuck at the final world for years (Invisible heartless were too difficult for the little kid me), but it kinda gave the game this mysterious aura and it was cool years later to not only finally finish it, but also replay it and understand the story. When it came out, I had to skip Chain of Memories (I later played it on an emulator and now actually have it thanks to the HD collections), but I watched a cutscene compilation on youtube, and got KH2, which I to this day consider the best game in the series.

Later games were fun to play, but the writing and lore got more and more muddled and over the years I kinda lost a certain amount of hype for the KH3. I still kept waiting for it to finally be announced, but I wasn't exactly expecting it to be a mindblowing experience or anyting. But now that the game is finally here and we had a chance to play it, here are my personal pros and cons of Kingdom Hearts 3

Pros

The story is easy to follow
Well, to be exact, the story is easy to follow as long as you have played the previous games (and at this point, who would start with this one?) and there are few Nomura's infamous retcons, but overall this game has clear-cut and precise story. It never felt like I had to check out the wikipedia page or the Gummi Phone journal to understand what was going on. This is not me saying that the story is flawless or anything, but we get to that later.

The utilization of the Disney worlds
After the first game, the Disney worlds started to becoma less and less important for the main narrative of each games and were pretty much just abridged versions of the movies, but with Sora and co. running along. But in this game, they started to feel important again and even the three worlds that kinda are abridged versions of their movies had some connections to the larger story. The bad guys just don't randomly show-up to annoy Sora, they had actual plans in motion that involved the Disney characters. Plus, Woody giving young Xehanort a sick burn and Sulley humiliating Vanitas were glorious moments and easily some of the best scenes of the entire Kingdom Hearts franchise.

All the callbacks to the previous games
I mean, they very least reference almost everything from previous games, which helps to make you think that even with all the retcons, someone at Square Enix is paying some attention. They even bring back the replicas, which I dont think were brought up at all between this and Chain of Memories .

Graphics
OK, I usually get annoyed when hardcore gamers treat graphics the be-all and end-all of gaming and crap on otherwise decent games for having less than perfect graphics, but it would be really unfair of me not to give credit where credit is due. This game looks amazing and captures the look of each Disney world pretty darn flawlessly. Pixar probably could release the cutscenes from the Toy Story world in theaters as a short and the Pirates of the Caribbean world looks like a Naughty Dogs game.

Gameplay
This game was ton of fun to play and the combat was smooth. Not much else to say really, the game reach its goal in this regard as far as I'm concerned.

Cons

Kairi is once again useless and Aqua got nerfed bad
Let's start the negatives with something that I'm sure isn't controversial at all *sarcams* I know that KH has never been the most feminist video game franchise in the first place, but dear God did they drop the ball here. So, Kairi goes to train in a magical place where the time moves differently (implying that she could have years worth of training in a short time span) with a seasoned fighter as her training partner and a wizard as their teacher. In the end, she does nothing and gets kidnapped and later killed to motivate the main character into action. What was even the point in making her a keyblade wielder, if she will just spent majority of the game off-screen and then gets fridged?

But what really pissed me off was the treatment of Aqua. She is my favorite playable character of the whole series and an actual badass (without being a boring femme fatale) in her own games, but here? She gets constantly knocked out, so someone else can come in and save her. Does anyone else remember that from all of the seven guardians of the light, she was the first one to complete the Mark of Mastery and survived years in the Realm of Darkness? And now she is getting the Worf treatment.

Lack of Disney boss fights
Lets balance things out with something that is more of a nitpick and personal gripe. Why are there so little Disney boss fights? Seriously, we only have the titans, who we already got 2/4 in previous games, and Davy Jones. I guess Dark Baymax also kinda-sorta-maybe counts too, but that's it. The appeal of these games is getting to interact with our favorite Disney movies and fighting Disney villains is a big part of that fun. Why not throw in a Mother Gothel, Hans or even Randall boss fights? Heck, why not have a Disney secret boss instead of the boring Dark Inferno heartless?

The selection of Disney worlds
To be clear, I have no problem with the movies they chose to be represented in Kingdom Hearts 3 (heck, I was rooting for Frozen from day one), but I kinda feel that they went with the safe route by picking only the most popular recent movies and two Pixar ones. Each previous game had at least one unexpected choice (The Three Musketeers, Pinocchio and Tron, to name a few), which helped to make the worlds feel more varied. I guess they had to keep the number of worlds limited, since they were so huge, which in turn meant that they couldn't really afford to go with anything that wouldn't get everyone excited, but I still wish that they would have found room for at least one oddball choice.

The size of the worlds
This is something that I bet no one will agree on with me, but I think the worlds were too large for their own good. Don't get me wrong, they were cool to look at and it was nice to not have the game fade to black for few seconds everytime when you entered a new area, but exploring them got little weary after a while. I admittedly aren't the biggest fan of collectable side-quests to the begin with (I love games that just show me everything on the map, like PS4 Spider-Man), but in KH3 all the areas were so large and vast that trying to find every secret felt more like a chore than fun.

All the unresolved plot-threads
Maleficent's evil scheme? Never resolved. The mysterious girl who Axel and Saix keep brinning up? Never named. The new seven princesses of light? Hardly more than a throwaway line. The content of the black box? Not revealed. Oh, and there are like two or three sequel hooks at the end.

I know that Nomura kept saying that this wouldn't be the final game in the series, it would only resolve the Xehanort - saga, and they are planning to do more games, but would it really be too much to ask to finally have a Kingdom Hearts game where we get a satisfying ending for the entire story? You can start a new story later, but there's no reason why it can't be done with a clean-slate.

In conclusion:
I didn't dislike this game and it had a lot of going for it, but a small part of me can't help, but to feel disappointed. Not enough to be mad or anything, but I did crave little bit more from this.

How about you guys?
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #99
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

All the unresolved plot-threads
Maleficent's evil scheme? Never resolved. The mysterious girl who Axel and Saix keep brinning up? Never named. The new seven princesses of light? Hardly more than a throwaway line. The content of the black box? Not revealed. Oh, and there are like two or three sequel hooks at the end.

I know that Nomura kept saying that this wouldn't be the final game in the series, it would only resolve the Xehanort - saga, and they are planning to do more games, but would it really be too much to ask to finally have a Kingdom Hearts game where we get a satisfying ending for the entire story? You can start a new story later, but there's no reason why it can't be done with a clean-slate.
I think what you said was left unexplained is just to be left to the next game, since all the stuff about the Black Box is related to Unchained. I also strongly believe the mysterious girl is Foreteller Ava. However, I do agree that leaving so many mysteries unresolved is unsatisfactory. Hell, even KH I and II had cleaner endings and didnít force nearly as much setup in, IMO.

dude NICE
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote