Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > DC & Marvel

DC & Marvel Discuss DC & Marvel properties Here

Old 11-21-2017   #1
Troodon2

Default New Harley Quinn Animated Series Coming to DC Digital

http://deadline.com/2017/11/harley-q...er-1202212632/

So according the the Deadline article above, Warner Brosí upcoming DC-Branded direct-to-consumer digital platform has ordered 26 episodes of half-hour adult animated action-comedy series Harley Quinn. Continue below for more details.

"Harley Quinn, which also will feature Poison Ivy and other popular DC villains (and heroes), is the third series to be greenlighted for the new DC digital platform - operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks Group - joining live-action Titans, from Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter, and the anticipated revival of cult animated series Young Justice.

Written and executive produced by Halpern, Schumacker and Lorey,Harley Quinn, based on the DC characters, focuses on Harley Quinn who has finally broken things off once and for all with the Joker and attempts to make it on her own as the criminal Queenpin of Gotham City. The series features Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and a whole cast of heroes and villains, old and new, from the DC Universe.

Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Digital Series, also executive produces. Jennifer Coyle (DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year) produces with Halpern and Schumackerís Ehsugadee Productions in association with Warner Bros. Animation."

Now as much as I love Harley as a character I honestly don't think she deserves her own animated series; a movie maybe (Batman and Harley out of the question btw) or even a series of shorts, but a full half hour episode series?! Also from the looks of it, it sounds like they're taking the Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Connor Harley concept, which honestly isn't my favorite interpretation of the character since it seems more like they want Harley to be DC's answer to Deadpool; in fact I'm almost certain this project may well be because of the Deadpool animated series coming to FX.

Now here's my personal pet peeve reading into this, it's just another adult animated comedy! Let's face it, adult animation (at least in western culture) that is primarily comedy based is already a dime in a dozen, and most of projects are just raunchy and crass just for the sake of being raunchy and crass; even Rick and Morty is guilty of that trope.

Do you know what animated adult show I want to see DC and Warner Bros produce?! I want to see an adult Batman animated series, similar to Batman Hush or some of Scott Snyder's stuff, or an animated horror anthology, based on The House of Mystery staring Caine and Able, or an animated Swamp Thing series, or even an adult Superman animated series.

Animation is a medium, and it should be used to tell a wide range of different stories for different audiences of any age, gender or walk of life, but if you just continue making adult comedies, then you're only further implying that animation is a genre because you're just making the same show over and over.

I don't know, I'm not against adult animation, or even adult animated comedies in particular, but this project rubs me the wrong way and I don't exactly know why. Maybe it's because of the Jimmy and Amanda influence, or because it's just another adult comedy, or maybe it's based on my experience watching Batman and Harley Quinn I don't know.

But who knows, maybe it'll still be good, and maybe it won't be too adult and will actually make things funny. We'll see.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018   #2
TheDayman

Default DC Universe - Harley Quinn series

A teaser for the series was released today, with Kaley Cuoco voicing Harley and Diedrich Bader(!!!!!) voicing Batman.
TheDayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018   #3
TheDayman

Default Re: DC Universe - Harley Quinn series

Rahul Kohli is voicing Scarecrow.
and Alan Tudyk is voicing Joker.

Last edited by TheDayman; 10-24-2018 at 04:36 PM.
TheDayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018   #4
Music Meister

Dude, I’m such of Rahul. I’m honestly super interested in hearing how he handles Scarecrow. Man this show is slowly getting grabbing me.

Last edited by Music Meister; 10-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Music Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018   #5
Autovolt

Alan Tudyk is a great choice for Joker.

I really hope it works out.
Autovolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #6
Kippiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post