Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > Upcoming Theatrical Features

Upcoming Theatrical Features Catch up on the hype surrounding the latest upcoming theatrical features.

Old 12-20-2018   #1
The Doctor

Default Saved from Development Hell, Boy (April 2019)

Next year, we are finally getting a third Hellboy movie. Unfortunately, it's not the final chapter in Guillermo del Toro's trilogy, but a complete reboot directed by Neil Marshall. I can't say that I wasn't little dissappointed, when this news was reported for the first time, since del Toro is one of my all-time favorite directors and both of his Hellboy movies were really solid, but those movies aren't really sacred cows for me and while he is below del Toro, I would consider Marshall one of my favorite directors too, so I was (and still am) open for this project.

And now we have the first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_tkfKeWEro

I admit that I'm only a casual Hellboy fan at best. Besides the two del Toro movies, my only exposure to the franchise are two grapich novels by Mike Mignola and the two direct-to-DVD animated movies, so I can't claim to know what what is the "correct" way to tackle this material, but this trailer wasn't too impressive.

Both Mignola and Marshall pitched this movie as darker and more horror - esque take on the material, with a hard R - rating, but based on this trailer it doesn't seem to be tonally all that different from the previous movies. What is different, however, is the lack of del Toro's sense of charm and his amazing practical effects. This almost feels like a cheap direct-to-video sequel to his Hellboy movies made by some gun-for-hire director.

I understand that this is just the first trailer. The tone of a trailer can be completely different from the tone of the final product (case in point: compare the first trailer of Disney's Tangled to the actual movie) and effects obviously aren't finnished yet. I'll wait for the second trailer, before forming any strong opinions, but I can't say that I'm currently hyped.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018   #2
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: Saved from Development Hell, Boy (2019)

Completely agreed, Doctor. When they first announced that it was going to be a more GRIMDARKSERIOUSBRO gritty, R-rated Hellboy story, I was like "Not my thing, but okay". I'd rather these folks do their own thing and make it different from the GDT Hellboy movies. So more power to them on giving it their own unique stamp.

But this trailer makes it seem like it's also trying to be light-hearted enough to stand next to the GDT movies. But also not. It's dark and gritty...while also trying to be fun and not take itself too seriously. We're gonna' have blood and swearing...but enough jokes to please the PG-13 crowd that might buy it on Blu-Ray and watch it at home. Like it's struggling with what it's trying to be.

Honestly, it basically looks like the GDT Hellboy movies except without the colour and, like you said, Doctor, the charm.

With that said, I'll give it a chance. I always love comparing remakes and reboots to each other. Plus, David Harbour is perfectly cast as Hellboy.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Marshal;
Its definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in-camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harbor;
A lot of it [was] very practical, practical monsters and practical fights not a lot of CGI.
O really?
BTVA: A fansite where 8-10 people, in their spare time, try to catalogue 75+ years of the voiceover industry and, in return, occassionally get noses thumbed at them for not being 100% complete. We do our best.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote