Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 07-12-2018   #91
Kioea

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
I dunno if AB Group is still around, but if a French company was to license this movie & dub it into English, that's the only other way I could see this scenario happening. Just don't have Doug Rand as Broly. That was all sorts of weird.
As far as I can tell, they are. At any rate, their website's still active.

That actually begs the question - if not Doug, then who? I'm having a hard time imagining ANYONE pulling off Broly. Then again... for all we know, this version may not scream as much. Oh, who am I kidding? It's Dragon Ball!
Kioea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018   #92
8000 Saiyans

I guess Funimation will never get the idea that they're supposed to adapt and translate a Japanese show into English, not make their own version of the show. "Time to make the donuts"? That line is so out of character for Hit.
8000 Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018   #93
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000 Saiyans View Post
I guess Funimation will never get the idea that they're supposed to adapt and translate a Japanese show into English, not make their own version of the show. "Time to make the donuts"? That line is so out of character for Hit.

Someone asked Sabat about why they take so many liberties & his response was along the lines of, well everyone has already seen the show in Japanese, why not make our own stamp on it & throw in some meta jokes here & there. They take such a laid back approach to Super, it makes you wonder if there really taking this as seriously as people want you to believe.

Speaking of that line by Hit in the dub, they could have gone with something better than that. That line was lifted from Xenoverse 2. The line itself was kind of cringy.

Most of the Dragonball Super dub is good in parts, but you get the occasional dumb lines here & there & self referential humor. I'd expect this from Team Four Star. Not from Sabat & everyone else involved with the adaption of this dub.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018   #94
8000 Saiyans

Quote:
Someone asked Sabat about why they take so many liberties & his response was along the lines of, well everyone has already seen the show in Japanese, why not make our own stamp on it & throw in some meta jokes here & there. They take such a laid back approach to Super, it makes you wonder if there really taking this as seriously as people want you to believe.

Speaking of that line by Hit in the dub, they could have gone with something better than that. That line was lifted from Xenoverse 2. The line itself was kind of cringy.

Most of the Dragonball Super dub is good in parts, but you get the occasional dumb lines here & there & self referential humor. I'd expect this from Team Four Star. Not from Sabat & everyone else involved with the adaption of this dub.
Ajay I presume?
Old 07-17-2018   #95
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Ajay I presume?
No. This question was brought up to them at KamehaCon, which happened a few months ago. Anime Ajay disagreed with that decision. He also made a fuss about that line that Hit made in the recent episode of Dragonball Super. Though he caught a lot of heat for it. He had a poor choice of words about it & he could have handled it better, but if there is one thing I agree with him on 100%, it's that the dub for Super is a step down from the Kai dub.
Old 07-17-2018   #96
Frontier

Quote:
Not to disagree with the great Chris Sabat, but...isn't the idea of a dub to reach audiences that wouldn't watch the anime in Japanese by giving them a faithful representation of the product in English?
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018   #97
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Not to disagree with the great Chris Sabat, but...isn't the idea of a dub to reach audiences that wouldn't watch the anime in Japanese by giving them a faithful representation of the product in English?
Thing is, they do faithful adaptions for most of their animes & with simul-dubs. Though they made a weird choice with Dragonball Super.
Old 07-18-2018   #98
Abdullab

Quote:
Thing is, they do faithful adaptions for most of their animes & with simul-dubs. Though they made a weird choice with Dragonball Super.
On the bright side Jamie Marchi ain`t writing the dub
Abdullab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #99
8000 Saiyans

Is it J. Michael Tatum who's writing the scripts?
Old 07-18-2018   #100
Abdullab

Quote:
Is it J. Michael Tatum who's writing the scripts?
JMT did wrote for the freeza saga of Kai but he no longer adapts dubs anymore after the backlash with the funi dub writing controversy same with Jamie Marchi.

Jared Hedges writes the scripts and they are approved by Lisa R. Yamatoya for DBS
Abdullab is offline   Reply With Quote