Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Movie World > General Movie Discussion

General Movie Discussion Discuss and review the latest movies you've seen! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 12-12-2017   #1
electronic456

Default "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" (2018)

Phil Lord and Chris Miller's animated Spider-Man movie is official.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

However this movie is focused on Miles Morales rather than Parker. Although the latter appears in what looks like a mentor role.

We don't know who the villain is yet nor do we know what kind of universe does this play in.

As of now, the voice cast is as follows.

Shameik Moore as Miles Morales / Spider-Man
Liev Schreiber
Mahershala Ali as Aaron Davis
Brian Tyree Henry as Jefferson Davis
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018   #2
Troodon2

Default Re: "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" (December 2018)

Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018   #3
electronic456

Spider-Gwen is voiced by Hailee Steinfeld. Wow double December feature for her.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/243...os-playing-her
electronic456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #4
The Doctor

I hate being the sourpuss, but even after that second trailer, I don't feel all that excited for this movie. It doesn't look bad, but I'm not getting any wibes of it being amazing either. I mean, if it was just a movie about Miles being mentored by washed up Peter Parker in a superhero version of Creed kind of way, I think we could have something great, but also getting Spider-Gwen and, presumably, even more Spider-people doesn't excite me at all. Furthermore, I'm not feeling Jake Johnson as Peter Parker and the way the character seems to be portrayed, in terms of personality, feels really off.

Also, everyone seems to find that scene between Miles and his dad sweet, but I think that it is just too cringy. Want to make your kid hate you, Miles' dad? Because publically embarrassing them is pretty good way to do so.

But hey, if nothing else, even with all my personal hang-ups this will probably be easily the better of the two Sony's Spider-Man "spin-offs" we are getting this year.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018   #5
TheVengeanceKnight

Possible spoiler, but a cameo character as well as who is voicing said character was revealed...

And I gotta say, holy ####, that is perfect casting.
TheVengeanceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018   #6
thomwim

Haven't seen the movie, but I like the animation style. 3D and 2D fused together.
Old 12-16-2018   #7
The Doctor

Default Re: "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" (2018)

Minor SPOILERS!

I'm little nervous about writing about this movie, after seeing it, since I kinda feel same about it as I felt about Logan. Good movie, great even in some places, but I'm not seeing the flawless masterpiece people are hyping it up to be and that's an easy way to be marked as the killjoy jerk of the group. Peole are saying that this is the best Spider-Man movie (uuuum... Spider-Man 2? Homecoming?) and even the best Marvel movie of the year (Black Panther?! Infinity War?!), and I'm just not seeing that

I better prep this up by making few things clear, so you see where I'm coming from.

First of all, I havent read a single comic starring Miles Morales. The character doesn't bother me and I'm not one of those #NotMySpiderMan closet racist, I just feel that the main Marvel Universe Peter Parker is personally enough for me. My biggest exposure to Miles comes from the recent ps4 game, so I had no "fanboy hype" for this movie

Second of all, in my opinion "Spider-Verse" as a concept just doesn't work. The best Spider-Man stories are down-to-earth and the big fights with supervillain are more like B-plots rather than the main focus. Big multiverse story inherently makes stakes bigger and thus far it hasn't worked with Spider-Man. The finale of 90's animated series had its moments (and was probably one of the best episodes of that flawed show), but it was unnecessarily complicated and messy, Shattered Dimensions was fun video game, but it had no story and Dan Slott's Spider-Verse comic story is overhyped and pretty disinteresting. So even in this regard my expectations weren't high.

Now, let's finally talk about the movie itself.

Where the movie really succeeds is Miles' story-arc. The character is likeable, his inner turmoil is compelling and his growth feels natural. I even liked his awkward student/teacher - relationship with the washed up Peter Parker. And when a movie gets its main character right, you can overlook a lot of small flaws.

The other Spider-characters were also entertaining, but besides Peter and Gwen they were a tad pointless. Yeah yeah, they served the theme of "anyone can be Spider-Man", but beoynd that they had little to no function in the actual story. Especially Peni Parker was there just for "LOL Anime" jokes and her big emotional moment got no reaction out of me.

The animation was beautiful and refreshingly unique, since so many American 3D animated movies look almost identical. Sometimes the movie randomly blurred some of the characters and backround details ,which made the fast paced scenes hard to follow, but luckily that was toned down as the movie went on. I personnally wasn't big fan of some of the more radical redesigns, like Kaiju-Goblin or Billiard-Ball-Kingpin, either, but that's more a personal gripe than actual flaw.

In the end, the movie was pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking. In a perfect world, the sequel would be completely focused on Miles, since he is the one aspect that was perfect about the movie, but we already know that there's going to be even more Spider-people on the way and I don't trust Sony not to eventually step on the filmmakers shoes and sink this ship.

Completely pointles nitpick: Was there really any point in making one of the villains a genderbent Otto Octavius, when the comics already have a female Doctor Octopus?
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018   #8
Shaun Ince

The after credits scene. A stroke of genius. Had me laughing in my seat.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018   #9
Troodon2

Just saw it and I gotta say it's an animated masterpeice, worthy of Best Motion Picture, not just animated.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018   #10
Abdullab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Minor SPOILERS!

I'm little nervous about writing about this movie, after seeing it, since I kinda feel same about it as I felt about Logan. Good movie, great even in some places, but I'm not seeing the flawless masterpiece people are hyping it up to be and that's an easy way to be marked as the killjoy jerk of the group. Peole are saying that this is the best Spider-Man movie (uuuum... Spider-Man 2? Homecoming?) and even the best Marvel movie of the year (Black Panther?! Infinity War?!), and I'm just not seeing that

I better prep this up by making few things clear, so you see where I'm coming from.

First of all, I havent read a single comic starring Miles Morales. The character doesn't bother me and I'm not one of those #NotMySpiderMan closet racist, I just feel that the main Marvel Universe Peter Parker is personally enough for me. My biggest exposure to Miles comes from the recent ps4 game, so I had no "fanboy hype" for this movie

Second of all, in my opinion "Spider-Verse" as a concept just doesn't work. The best Spider-Man stories are down-to-earth and the big fights with supervillain are more like B-plots rather than the main focus. Big multiverse story inherently makes stakes bigger and thus far it hasn't worked with Spider-Man. The finale of 90's animated series had its moments (and was probably one of the best episodes of that flawed show), but it was unnecessarily complicated and messy, Shattered Dimensions was fun video game, but it had no story and Dan Slott's Spider-Verse comic story is overhyped and pretty disinteresting. So even in this regard my expectations weren't high.

Now, let's finally talk about the movie itself.

Where the movie really succeeds is Miles' story-arc. The character is likeable, his inner turmoil is compelling and his growth feels natural. I even liked his awkward student/teacher - relationship with the washed up Peter Parker. And when a movie gets its main character right, you can overlook a lot of small flaws.

The other Spider-characters were also entertaining, but besides Peter and Gwen they were a tad pointless. Yeah yeah, they served the theme of "anyone can be Spider-Man", but beoynd that they had little to no function in the actual story. Especially Peni Parker was there just for "LOL Anime" jokes and her big emotional moment got no reaction out of me.

The animation was beautiful and refreshingly unique, since so many American 3D animated movies look almost identical. Sometimes the movie randomly blurred some of the characters and backround details ,which made the fast paced scenes hard to follow, but luckily that was toned down as the movie went on. I personnally wasn't big fan of some of the more radical redesigns, like Kaiju-Goblin or Billiard-Ball-Kingpin, either, but that's more a personal gripe than actual flaw.

In the end, the movie was pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking. In a perfect world, the sequel would be completely focused on Miles, since he is the one aspect that was perfect about the movie, but we already know that there's going to be even more Spider-people on the way and I don't trust Sony not to eventually step on the filmmakers shoes and sink this ship.

Completely pointles nitpick: Was there really any point in making one of the villains a genderbent Otto Octavius, when the comics already have a female Doctor Octopus?
Man u take this movie too critically but i have to respect your opinion
Abdullab is offline   Reply With Quote