BTVA Anime Dub Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Anime

Anime Discuss Anime Here

Old 04-05-2018   #1
JTurner

Send a message via AIM to JTurner
Default Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata dies at 82

I just found out today that the man who has co-founded Studio Ghibli with Hayao Miyazaki has passed away at the age of 82. Isao Takahata met Miyazaki when he was working at Toei Animation Studios, and the two formed a great relationship that led to the foundation of this magnificent facility. Here Takahata directed one of the most heartbreaking animated films of all time, Grave of the Fireflies. It's a very difficult film to watch, but its emotional sincerity and intensity wrenched tears out of me, making me a fan of his. He has also helmed the previously Japan-only film Only Yesterday, the beyond bizarre Pom Poko, the quirky My Neighbors the Yamadas, and his swan song, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Unlike another Ghibli director, Yoshifumi Kondo, who handled Whisper of the Heart (he had long passed away before the dub was made), Takahata at least lived to see his directorial output dubbed and translated for American audiences, thanks to the efforts of CPM, Sentai, Disney, and GKids. But even though the man may be gone, his legacy will always be timeless.

Rest in peace, Takahata-san. You will be missed.
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018   #2
Angelfire

Default Re: Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata dies at 82

Man, that is sad to hear. I've been busy with life and work, so I know I am late on the news. My heart goes out to Studio Ghibli, Takahata's family and friends, and the entire anime community.
Angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote