Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Report Mistakes

Report Mistakes Report all errors here so we can fix them right away!

Old 11-12-2015   #1
Devleen

Default Tony Valdez

Last edited by Devleen; 07-22-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ...
Devleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #2
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Default Re: Tony Valdez

Thanks for the heads up.

This reminds me, I know that some of the other team members speculated that "William Scott" was really a Dobson brother (likely Michael). This would make him a similar case to Don Brown if so.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #3
Nightmare Crusher

EDIT: NINJA'D

For a while there were some people speculating that one of the other cast members of some of those shows, William Scott, was actually Michael Dobson.
With this bombshell here I wonder if it's worth looking into William Scott again.

"She asked to borrow some sweatpants. Does that mean anything?" -SNaG on life's greatest mysteries.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 11-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #4
Devleen

Last edited by Devleen; 07-22-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ...
Devleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015   #5
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Long View Post
Tony Valdez = Don Brown

Thought struck my mind back when Pretty Cure came out and had one David Brown credited (with a voice just like Don Brown's) then had the same voice pop up in a future episode credited as Tony Valdez (again, sounding exactly like Don Brown's rather distinctive voice). It became quite clear when watching Deltora Quest as the dub came out, as the dub used Valdez a lot and in many different character types--all of which still sounding like Brown.

Valdez clips:
Valdez as Guardian Fardeep in Deltora Quest (credited with role in closing credits)
Valdez as Walter in Viper's Creed (credited with role in closing credits) [sped up, but you get the idea]
Valdez as Captain Answer in Future Card Buddyfight (credited with role in closing credits)
Note: Can't find a linkable version of his Pretty Cure credit as Dr. Bromium (which he was credited with in the closing credits), and all of his Hunter x Hunter credits were uncredited (though I can vouch for their accuracy and was the one who originally did all of them)

Brown clips:
Narrator in Galaxy Express 999 (credited with role in closing credits)
Prof. Joeb in Mix Master: King of Cards (credited with role in closing credits)
VideoMan in MegaMan NT Warrior: Axess (credited with role in closing credits

In addition, here's a character named Gulliver in the dub Benjamin the Elephant (an English dub of a German kid's cartoon). That's 100% Don Brown to my ears, yet it was dubbed in Calgary. The credits don't list who played who, but I know all of the voices but Chris Fassbender and David Brown. However, my research back in the day only found one Calgarian actor (or Edmontonian) with the name of Chris Fassbender, and the guy was in his twenties and seemed a far shot from someone who could have plausibly played Gulliver.

Moreover, the cast credits were clearly done in order of character importance. Fassbender is down the list, and the one unidentified main character (it's been a while since I've watched any Benjamin, but I could swear the credits only covered the main cast and left any episodic players out) besides Gulliver is a character with a young-sounding voice that would seem to match up with my Fassbender research. Plus, Gulliver is a pretty important character, and David Brown is the fourth person credited--the perfect spot for Gulliver actually, and when you factor in the similarity in voice and name from Don Brown to David Brown...

And looking at it now, they appeared to have actually screwed up on one episode of Bibi Blockberg where they credit "Don Brown," probably as an accident. While they're are currently proper hybrid dubs where Ocean combines both their British Columbian and Alberta talent pools, the first one for a non-video game didn't hit until 2011 with the Gundma 00 movie, and this Blockberg episode credits the dub as having been recorded in 2006 (a rare, nice occurrence that they list that).
Well son of a gun.

It's great to see he's been getting more voice work even if its under an alias in a different region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

This reminds me, I know that some of the other team members speculated that "William Scott" was really a Dobson brother (likely Michael). This would make him a similar case to Don Brown if so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
EDIT: NINJA'D

For a while there were some people speculating that one of the other cast members of some of those shows, William Scott, was actually Michael Dobson.
With this bombshell here I wonder if it's worth looking into William Scott again.
It's no doubt Michael. I've thought that all along since I first heard his clips.

In hindsight this makes a lot of sense since both were in that Peter Pan cartoon from a few years back that was a mix between Vancouver and Calgary talent.

I really hope we start seeing more Vancouver VA's popping up in Calgary, hopefully Scott McNeil is next. He's been way underused this decade.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #6
CatsTuxedo

Send a message via Yahoo to CatsTuxedo

Huh, well I do hear a bit of Balgus in his Captain Answer, so I'm willing to believe it.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote